Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of climate is this?
Mediterranean 13 48.15%
Oceanic 12 44.44%
Humid Subtropical 2 7.41%
Humid Continental 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:05 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,738,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
While your climate is oceanic, going by rain days it seems to be closer to Mediterranean. I could be wrong but not many oceanic climates have 110 days of 0.2mm of rain yet receive over a 1000mm.
I think of it as firmly Oceanic - cold fronts and subtropical lows are still a feature of the warm season.

Grapes and olives are part of the economy, so I guess it has a bit of a Mediterranean vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 05:17 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,796,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think of it as firmly Oceanic - cold fronts and subtropical lows are still a feature of the warm season.

Grapes and olives are part of the economy, so I guess it has a bit of a Mediterranean vibe.
Do you know of any other Oceanic climates that have only 110 days of rain but yet has more then 1000mm?

I find this a bit unusual in contrast to most other Oceanic climates I've found.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:22 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,514,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I can't see England as having monsoonal tendencies in the winter, it's too chilly. Like London gets 110 days of rain like Motueka but it has way less rainfall.
The floods in Cumbria after a 50 mm rainy day last year begs to disagree

New Zealand from Motueka/Nelson and up is essentially a subtropical-influenced climate that happens to rain a lot even during summer.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,796,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
The floods in Cumbria after a 50 mm rainy day last year begs to disagree

New Zealand from Motueka/Nelson and up is essentially a subtropical-influenced climate that happens to rain a lot even during summer.
Yes but then again the floods in Cumbria were a rare event. And also there's a thin line between monsoon tendencies and a regular rainy day. Look at Southeast Alaska. I'm sure that most rain storms there have rain heavier then London even when temperatures are close to zero.

I do agree that Motueka/Nelson have subtropical influences.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:17 AM

I think probably the biggest thing with regards to New Zealand is that people who don't know a lot about climate would think Auckland had a mediterranean climate if someone told them, especially if they were there in winter. It certainly is at those latitudes. Does Joe90 or anyone else know why the west coast effect doesn't apply with dry-summer climates to Northern NZ? Is it too weak a landmass for those winds to sustain?

Old 10-01-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I think probably the biggest thing with regards to New Zealand is that people who don't know a lot about climate would think Auckland had a mediterranean climate if someone told them, especially if they were there in winter. It certainly is at those latitudes. Does Joe90 or anyone else know why the west coast effect doesn't apply with dry-summer climates to Northern NZ? Is it too weak a landmass for those winds to sustain?
Overseas vistors I work with and who comment on Auckland's winter weather generally refer to it feeling subtropical. Mediterranean is usually used to describe the North Island east coast, or the top of the South Island.

High pressure isn't semipermanent during summer here, but migratory. Departing highs make room for cold fronts or subtropical lows. An unstable atmosphere in summer leads to plenty of convectional activity, which is why much of NZ doesn't see summers that are much sunnier than winters. The cloudiest month where I am is in early Summer, and the sunniest month is in Autumn.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:25 PM

To be fair, both Hastings and Napier have some tendencies towards the mediterranean climate with drier summers than winters, but the rain shadow during summer ain't strong enough to bring them to that level, which I also guess is the east coast effect of dragging low-pressure systems to the coastline. I've yet to spot an east-facing Med climate in the world.

Had Napier had more than 130 mm of rainfall in its wetter month, I'd labelled it wet and dry oceanic since the driest month receives 43 mm, but as it is it looks like a standard warm oceanic climate - in spite of it having warmer summers than Auckland, because of its cooler winters.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:20 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,045,756 times
Quote:
I've yet to spot an east-facing Med climate in the world.
I don't know of any. However, there is a continental-Mediterranean climate 1300km from the nearest large body of water (Caspian Sea): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dushanbe

Old 10-01-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
I don't know of any. However, there is a continental-Mediterranean climate 1300km from the nearest large body of water (Caspian Sea): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dushanbe
That is entirely possible on the massive Eurasian landmass mainly because of there being no sea near it to the east, but a possibility of low-pressure systems arriving from the west during winters IMO.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
To be fair, both Hastings and Napier have some tendencies towards the mediterranean climate with drier summers than winters, but the rain shadow during summer ain't strong enough to bring them to that level, which I also guess is the east coast effect of dragging low-pressure systems to the coastline. I've yet to spot an east-facing Med climate in the world.

Had Napier had more than 130 mm of rainfall in its wetter month, I'd labelled it wet and dry oceanic since the driest month receives 43 mm, but as it is it looks like a standard warm oceanic climate - in spite of it having warmer summers than Auckland, because of its cooler winters.
Napier goes from 25 days of rain during winter, to 19 days during summer, which hardly represents a fundamental shift in climate pattern. Napier also has a winter month barely drier than two of the summer months -a bit problematic when trying to talk about dry seasons.

Other places in NZ have a greater seasonal rainfall/rain day difference than Napier. Motueka has a more pronounced dry season than Napier, and with a bigger difference in rain days as well. I still wouldn't call it anything but a drying trend though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather