Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of climate is this?
Mediterranean 13 48.15%
Oceanic 12 44.44%
Humid Subtropical 2 7.41%
Humid Continental 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:31 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,793,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It would really need to be based on rain days rather than rainfall. It's days that make a climate wet, not totals.
Do you think that summer in Mediterranean climates should be based on rain days rather rain amounts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 01:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,719,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
My nearest weather station is Norrköping:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norrk%C3%B6ping#Climate

508.2 mm

I'd say my location more than 50 km away by the coast is slightly wetter. When a weather station existed between 1961 and 1980 at the Skavsta airport it said 530 mm annually. Here nearer the coast in Greater Nyköping it may be in the middle of that.
Looking online for rain days for your area, the average seems to be between 150-160 days a year, which I'm guessing would be at the >0.1mm level. That compares to around 110 days here at the >0.1mm level.

Given the greater days, colder temperatures and lower sunshine, I'm thinking your area would feel like the wetter climate, even though the rainfall is quite low.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,512,623 times
Quote:
Looking online for rain days for your area, the average seems to be between 150-160 days a year, which I'm guessing would be at the >0.1mm level. That compares to around 110 days here at the >0.1mm level.

Given the greater days, colder temperatures and lower sunshine, I'm thinking your area would feel like the wetter climate, even though the rainfall is quite low.
It feels cloudy but not necessarily so wet. I can safely assure you that rainfall so often stands at 0.2-0.3 mm during a day that it doesn't really show up. You hardly notice it. Therefore what may look like a wet day to you looking at stats on the other side of the planet for us is more like a dry and humid cloudy day

Heavy rainfall only occurs during summer when subtropical air goes north. There is a case for saying that November feels wetter than July because of this - I agree on that, but to make a climate classification based on days that got 0.3 mm precipitation seems a bit overstretched.

In terms of nature it's the mm level and not the amount of days that counts. The sole reason our area is so green is because of the high humidity levels. The one time humidity drops (summer) there is very easily a Med-like drought here too.

However, I'd rather live in your climate (for rain alone) than wet all the time climates like Glasgow and Cardiff, but there is a limit. If you want a dry climate, 500 mm beats 1400 mm every time

Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Do you think that summer in Mediterranean climates should be based on rain days rather rain amounts?
I don't necessarily think a place should be excluded from being Mediterranean because it gets occasional heavy convective rain.

I comment was more about " wet and dry" Oceanic climates. Favouring rainfall over rain days in determining wet or dry, could be very misleading.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
It feels cloudy but not necessarily so wet. I can safely assure you that rainfall so often stands at 0.2-0.3 mm during a day that it doesn't really show up. You hardly notice it. Therefore what may look like a wet day to you looking at stats on the other side of the planet for us is more like a dry and humid cloudy day

Heavy rainfall only occurs during summer when subtropical air goes north. There is a case for saying that November feels wetter than July because of this - I agree on that, but to make a climate classification based on days that got 0.3 mm precipitation seems a bit overstretched.

In terms of nature it's the mm level and not the amount of days that counts. The sole reason our area is so green is because of the high humidity levels. The one time humidity drops (summer) there is very easily a Med-like drought here too.

However, I'd rather live in your climate (for rain alone) than wet all the time climates like Glasgow and Cardiff, but there is a limit. If you want a dry climate, 500 mm beats 1400 mm every time

I know someone from Malmo, and they describe it as wetter than here, despite it only getting 600mm a year. I would go for the climate that rains the less, as being the drier one.

People remember how often it rains, not how much rain fell - there has been 2 days here this year they have received 100mm, but there was little comment on how wet it was. The last 10 days here has been very wet by the local standard with rain on 6/10 days, but the total has been very low (31mm) , yet many are talking about how wet it's been.

Last edited by Joe90; 09-30-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I don't necessarily think a place should be excluded from being Mediterranean because it gets occasional heavy convective rain.

I comment was more about " wet and dry" Oceanic climates. Favouring rainfall over rain days in determining wet or dry, could be very misleading.
Which climate would you consider wetter Victoria BC or Motueka?

Old 09-30-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Which climate would you consider wetter Victoria BC or Motueka?
These different rain thresholds makes things tricky. Victoria gets 136 days> 0.2mm compared to Motueka at 110 days> 0.1mm.

Victoria does have a pronounced summer dry season, but only get three less days of rain during June-Aug than here does during Dec-Feb, despite the lower rainfall at 54mm compared to 264mm for here.

I'm going to say that given Victoria's long season of high rain days and low sunshine, that Victoria would feel wetter overall.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
These different rain thresholds makes things tricky. Victoria gets 136 days> 0.2mm compared to Motueka at 110 days> 0.1mm.

Victoria does have a pronounced summer dry season, but only get three less days of rain during June-Aug than here does during Dec-Feb, despite the lower rainfall at 54mm compared to 264mm for here.

I'm going to say that given Victoria's long season of high rain days and low sunshine, that Victoria would feel wetter overall.
While your climate is oceanic, going by rain days it seems to be closer to Mediterranean. I could be wrong but not many oceanic climates have 110 days of 0.2mm of rain yet receive over a 1000mm.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:19 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,512,623 times
Quote:
While your climate is oceanic, going by rain days it seems to be closer to Mediterranean. I could be wrong but not many oceanic climates have 110 days of 0.2mm of rain yet receive over a 1000mm.
I think it's a question of mildness. The milder a climate, the greater monsoonal tendencies they get especially during winters. We can only get those rainfalls pretty much in summer, whereas England can get them year round.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I think it's a question of mildness. The milder a climate, the greater monsoonal tendencies they get especially during winters. We can only get those rainfalls pretty much in summer, whereas England can get them year round.
I can't see England as having monsoonal tendencies in the winter, it's too chilly. Like London gets 110 days of rain like Motueka but it has way less rainfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather