Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 11:34 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think this was my favorite with the lit clouds
I was eyeballing that one! I think if the rocks and terrain was further back on the left, I would of picked it. Feels too confined in a way but wow that is an awesome spot with the views and great capture with the clouds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 11:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Check out these really high UV index values. Chicago over 11. Wow. We usually don't get this high cause in summer the earth is further away than in the Southern Hemisphere. Philly looks around 10.5.

The West/SW is way high as it looks over 12!

https://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/US/UVForecast

Old 06-19-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Some forest pics I took today.

The post below has pics on that same road that I took on April 3rd.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/43586713-post586.html

What's that road look like in January?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yeah, but according to him because the Sabal palm is more cold hardy here it makes it look ugly. When in reality cidp are extremely cold hardy, one guy posted pictures of them surviving in El paso Texas after Temps dropped into the single digits. I won't lie though cidp have a much more massive look and are more recognizeable.

Has nothing to do with cold hardiness, though I admit tender palms always look better for some reason imo. Take coconut palms. I love them. I find sabal palmetto to be unattractive, however there are sabals I do like. I like Bermudana and the sabal native to Dominican Republic to name a few. There are some other sabals I like. I just don't like those that look like a ball of green at the top. I like the look of robusta or flifera much more.

don't like:

https://goo.gl/maps/TE9N4a1xC5Q2

like these much more, even when they are burnt from cold (Jan 2015 Charleston):

https://goo.gl/maps/uDxNty2vpcJ2

Old 06-19-2016, 11:59 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Probably like Siberia.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Probably like Siberia.

Close, but probably no snow.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:17 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Oslo, Norway tonight. 16°C / 60°F.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:59 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Cool and Dry has been the theme lately. So amazing to have 50s in the morning in June. Gives me a chance to pull weeds without dying!

Cardboard still holding up although now breaking down and getting thin. By time season's over it will be ineffective at holding back weeds.

Tomatoes are doing AMAZING! Deep green, flowering and a couple of them fruiting.

They don't set fruit if drops below 55 at night and they don't produce above 90°. So this June has been great for them.

Campari the first to grow

However.. Peppers, Cucumbers and Onions haven't had enough heat for optimal growing conditions. 2 weeks behind previous years

Last time I had decent rains was on the 5th. 14 days ago. We had a couple of downpours on the 9th and 11th but less than 1/4" fell.

Pretty Purple Hot Pepper got some pretty blooms.

Cucumbers. Half the size from last year. #noheat

Nice! Glad to see that your garden is doing better this month.

Here are some pics from mine.

Cherry tomatoes turning ripe.

Nearly all of my other tomatoes are still unripe, but I picked two good ripes ones recently.

Roma tomatoes

Cucumbers

Zucchini

Chile peppers

Old 06-19-2016, 02:01 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'll need to take pictures next winter.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:12 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Rain was predicted but you said it was lightly snowing. Was it supposed to change over or was the rain for another area, maybe lower elevation?
Yeah I checked the forecast for valley bottoms, didn't check soundings. I just wasn't expecting snow, though I probably should've as the airmass was cool.

Quote:
Cool cross over of France/Italy. No wall there?
No one wants to make France or Italy great again.

Quote:
So funny and awesome to see a trailhead without any deciduous trees. In fact funny to see any trees at 5500'.
Actually those coniferous trees with light green needles are larches, they're deciduous. Here's a photo of larches from last October:
Spoiler

Quote:
Aside from maybe the 1st photo I didn't see what the trails looked like. Were they maintained? Scrambly? Flat, dirt, grassy? Mix of all types?
They were well-maintained and signed, with hiking time to interest points and all. Not the barely visible routes I've sometimes posted pics of on here. Mostly dirt and rocks, then rocks only above treeline. There even were steps at one point where the trail was steep enough. Wanna see pics of the trail? Here's one.

Quote:
Cool Faunas. What the heck do they eat to survive up there??
Bouquetins eat grass, but also moss and even lichen. The kind of vegetation that grows even in seemingly 100% rocky areas.

Quote:
I like how you used F° and didn't even put C° on the list. lol
I didn't know the exact temperatures, so had to give a range. 30s to 50s sounded better than single digits and 10s.

Quote:
Interesting you had shorts and T-Shirt to hike again. I think knowing I'd be going from 50s cooling to 30s I would of just kept long pants and tshirt even though I'd be heating up during the hike.
You might have more cold tolerance than me? I doubt that though.. 30s right now would be frigid for me since my skin has adjusted to 70s and 80s. Did you have a change of clothes just in case?
I Also prefer long pants to protect me from poison ivy or bug bites but I assume none of that was around up there?
Yeah no poison ivy up there, though bugs and especially poisonous snakes can be a good reason to wear long pants. I seldom feel cold when moving. When I'm standing still I'm a bit of a wimp though. I didn't bring any other clothes, but was offered 3 extra layers lol. It wasn't all necessary but as we ate lunch under light snow, I was happy to have long sleeves on.

Here's what the lower part of the trail looks like in winter btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...&v=1noxQ8Ray5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Looks like a different spot than previous hikes?
Yup. I haven't done a hike more than once yet, there's just too much to explore.

Quote:
Wouldn't guessed it was that cold; hiking I've done in the North Cascades at that elevation was warmer.
I was definitely cooler than average for June. The car thermometer read 13°C a few dozen meters from Nice airport.

Quote:
Was it a real summit or just a high point?
It was a pass. Real summits were only a couple hundred meters higher, but there are no trails or routes there, so plenty of tricky spots to get through. There's no point to bother unless the mountain is 3000 m+.

Quote:
Any idea what those buildings are used for?
I believe they are (were?) a shepherd's summer hut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather