Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 06:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,619,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
New research reveals sun benefits that AREN'T linked to vitamin D | Daily Mail Online

I know DM not the best, but the study was still done.

Hmm, my Grandma is older than 95 and spend her entire life outside in the sun.
That's all well and good, but ultimately, any benefits derived from sunshine will only be felt if you're healthy anyway. The Japanese have the longest life expectancy in the world, despite the relatively gloomy climate - and that's largely down to their fish-based diet. Swedes live to 82 years on average compared to 79 for the US (which is, funnily enough, the lowest of all developed countries).

Other factors override sunshine. It's just not that important. Your typical Floridian might be exposed to a lot of sun on average, but considering they're usually fat, eat poorly and lead sedentary lifestyles (quite common in tropical climates for whatever reason), it's not going to make much difference.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:51 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,679,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's all well and good, but ultimately, any benefits derived from sunshine will only be felt if you're healthy anyway. The Japanese have the longest life expectancy in the world, despite the relatively gloomy climate - and that's largely down to their fish-based diet.
Yeah certainly, I know of lots of people who are not active whatsoever and they never go outside and are pale as A ghost.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:56 PM

There was also a news story about how UK health guidelines say there's no safe way to suntan, and that it does correlate with increased risk of skin cancer as well as aesthetic issues such as leathery skin (people who excessively suntan in their youth usually look dreadful in middle age and older). So sun, like anything else, is good in moderation. I think healthy diets and exercise are more important, and this is why the Swedes and Norwegians live so long. I think the French and Italians live long because of their diet too - it's definitely better than our diet which has become overrun with processed food, sugar, fat etc, just like the Americans.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,355,002 times
I think the American diet has improved over the last decade or two, but still has a way to go. If this country were to ever put its citizens and their wellbeing first, we'd be in a much better position.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:59 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,468,553 times
If I exercise regularly, how much harder will it be to become physically fit if my diet is mediocre?

Old 05-06-2016, 04:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,845,653 times
New studies show that a traditional Nordic diet is as healthy the Mediterranean diet, as long as you cut down on the salt and replace hard butter with rapeseed and sunflower oil as much as possible.

Nordic eating habits top favoured Mediterranean diet

"Therefore, Kanerva and her team started researching if a suitable alternative could be the Nordic Diet, based on the Baltic Sea Diet Pyramid that scientists designed in 2011 to outline the healthier choices of Nordic people. This diet consists of foods grown in the Nordic countries, such as apples and berries, roots and cabbages, rye, oats and barley, low-fat milk products, rapeseed oil and fish. It is also low in red meat, processed meat products and alcohol."

But re the sun, melanoma is the fastest growing type of cancer in Finland.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:03 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,343,967 times
Scandinavia seems like a tough place to live because of food. What do you do if you want spice? What do you do if you want fresh mango? I could never live in Scandinavia for that reason, when Im 60 years old I want to have a backyard full of mango and banana and passionfruit so you can have the fresh thing everyday

Old 05-06-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
New studies show that a traditional Nordic diet is as healthy the Mediterranean diet, as long as you cut down on the salt and replace hard butter with rapeseed and sunflower oil as much as possible.

Nordic eating habits top favoured Mediterranean diet

"Therefore, Kanerva and her team started researching if a suitable alternative could be the Nordic Diet, based on the Baltic Sea Diet Pyramid that scientists designed in 2011 to outline the healthier choices of Nordic people. This diet consists of foods grown in the Nordic countries, such as apples and berries, roots and cabbages, rye, oats and barley, low-fat milk products, rapeseed oil and fish. It is also low in red meat, processed meat products and alcohol."

But re the sun, melanoma is the fastest growing type of cancer in Finland.
It's most prevalent in Aus, which isn't surprising considering white people have far less melanin than darker-skinned people.

The only good thing about skin cancer, is that it's easily treated and has a 99% survival rate.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Scandinavia seems like a tough place to live because of food. What do you do if you want spice? What do you do if you want fresh mango? I could never live in Scandinavia for that reason, when Im 60 years old I want to have a backyard full of mango and banana and passionfruit so you can have the fresh thing everyday
Quite an odd question I think. It's not that we live off subsistence farming here, lol. The spices or mangos you buy in NYC in winter aren't any fresher than the ones you buy in our supermarkets.

If Finland is essentially self-sufficient in cannabis these days, you will probably find a way to grow mangos too. And in fact many do grow them.

Growing chilis in Finland: http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w...asvarilta2.jpg

Old 05-06-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Finland has had American-level murder rates and American-style prohibition. Seriously, it's an example of how the US has more cultural commonalities with northern Europe rather than Mediterranean Europe.
I forgot that I had a picture of the development of the murder rate. Here goes:

The civil war murder rate graph stops at 651 per 100,000. Note that all of these are non-combat murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather