Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 06:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,964,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
What's deterring me from Fairbanks is not really how small or bitterly cold it is, just how far it is from Miami. Going back to visit my family will be very difficult from there, while in Minneapolis it's a four hour flight away or a 26 hour drive.
When I visited Seattle, some of the locals didn't think of Alaska as that far away, met a number of people who had visited there, taking boat trips up the southeast. I wanted to do that, too when I was in Washington State, but Washington State was nice enough and I had limited time. Also hard to get myself to leave somewhere sunny most days and warm to cool and drizzly.

Minneapolis I think has nice bike paths and the local roads are probably more bike friendly in general. And much less sweat inducing to be out.

15,319 posts, read 17,347,549 times
Quote:
I'm talking about working out like lifting weights and running, not actual work.

I actually work on my own schedule since I'm an Uber driver, so I did take the day off from work today.

I still bust my own ass though, I did about 43 hours of Uber driving last week.
Wow and I complain about driving 2 hours a day lol.

This Uber phenomenon is interesting, but I would be weary of using it.

16,191 posts, read 11,468,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Didn't realize driving for Uber could be a full time job.
It can be if you try lol. It's all on you. If you only want to do 10-20 hours a week you can too.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
When I visited Seattle, some of the locals didn't think of Alaska as that far away, met a number of people who had visited there, taking boat trips up the southeast. I wanted to do that, too when I was in Washington State, but Washington State was nice enough and I had limited time. Also hard to get myself to leave somewhere sunny most days and warm to cool and drizzly.

Minneapolis I think has nice bike paths and the local roads are probably more bike friendly in general. And much less sweat inducing to be out.
Yeah, I don't think people from Seattle would say Juneau or Sitka, AK is very far. It might be a day or two by ship?

Yeah, Minneapolis for sure would have better weather to run and do outdoorsy stuff most of the year. I don't mind winter sports or running in the cold either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Wow and I complain about driving 2 hours a day lol.

This Uber phenomenon is interesting, but I would be weary of using it.
Lol, it does get tiring and annoying, especially dealing with traffic here, morons who need a ride two blocks down the street and not to mention drunk and stupid morons. But you can also meet some cool people and I've gotten some numbers off of girls before.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:58 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,739,711 times
I think, solely from a climate perspective, La Crosse, Wisconsin, would have been a bit better than Minneapolis IMO.

Remember than in Minneapolis you'll be exactly at 45 °N, so about halfway between the equator and the North Pole. That's an important latitude

Old 04-25-2016, 07:14 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,539,019 times
Quote:
It can be if you try lol. It's all on you. If you only want to do 10-20 hours a week you can too.
It sounds great, although I'd have concern about safety and it also puts a lot of extra wear on your personal vehicle. I can't do it anyway because I'm still paying off my car and can't use it for commercial purposes. However, I'm looking at other driving-related jobs now.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,876,998 times
Quote:
Yes - I'm really moving! I'm really excited about it, of course I'll keep you guys updated on how daily life is. Even moving there in late August would feel like relief coming from Miami, as mid-summer conditions are starting to wane by that point and by September it's noticeably cooler and October is solidly autumnal.
Was climate really the main factor in moving? Seems like a very odd reason IMO.

I could honestly never see myself moving to another state until perhaps I'm really really old (when my parents are dead). I actually want to be close to my immediate family.

I have my own vehicle, and have never used Uber, but I hear about it all the time. A lot of people out there must not own vehicles.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:43 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,313,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
A lot of people out there must not own vehicles.
Or they're drunk as ****.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Was climate really the main factor in moving? Seems like a very odd reason IMO.

I could honestly never see myself moving to another state until perhaps I'm really really old (when my parents are dead). I actually want to be close to my immediate family.

I have my own vehicle, and have never used Uber, but I hear about it all the time. A lot of people out there must not own vehicles.
Nah, climate wasn't the main factor, more of me wanting a different environment. I'm really tired of down here, and the fact that my mom is willing to help me out financially helps as well. I have a few dollars of my own, but she's willing to help me even more.

Another factor is that consistently ranks as one of the safest cities in the U.S. and MN consistently ranks among the top in education, so it's generally an educated population.

Climate was a factor of course but the strong economy and the safety (and the nature) of the city is much more so.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Or they're drunk as ****.
That's exactly it lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather