Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 09:45 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,376,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Rain in western Europe is not associated with summer.. almost everyone you speak to would define a good summer as warm-hot, dry and sunny. Only farmers and thunderstorm enthusiasts, or the odd person who likes rain and cloud for some weird reason would say otherwise in the part of the world
Meh, I don't see the positive to endless sunshine and dryness in the summer. I hate seeing parched landscapes.....green and stormy summers at least makes the landscapes nice and lush and farmers don't have to worry about drought, and no worrying about water restrictions also.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:57 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,415,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Meh, I don't see the positive to endless sunshine and dryness in the summer. I hate seeing parched landscapes.....green and stormy summers at least makes the landscapes nice and lush and farmers don't have to worry about drought, and no worrying about water restrictions also.
It's more because most of Western Europe has a sunshine maximum, rainfall minimum in the summer months, even north of the Mediterranean areas. Particularly along coastal areas in France and in southern UK places like Portsmouth have much drier and sunnier summers than winters, though still firmly oceanic.

Even here in London we have a precipitation maximum in late Autumn, the rest of the year it is relatively evenly spread out, though fewer precipitation days in summer.. so most people here think of a typical summer as dry and a typical winter as gloomy and wet. On the east coast of the US rainfall is very evenly spread throughout the year, with a lot of places getting a summer maximum and also many places also have a similar sunshine % in winter as they do in summer in stark contrast to here, which probably explains the difference in our perceptions of summer

Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
It's more because most of Western Europe has a sunshine maximum, rainfall minimum in the summer months, even north of the Mediterranean areas. Particularly along coastal areas in France and in southern UK places like Portsmouth have much drier and sunnier summers than winters, though still firmly oceanic.

Even here in London we have a precipitation maximum in late Autumn, the rest of the year it is relatively evenly spread out, though fewer precipitation days in summer.. so most people here think of a typical summer as dry and a typical winter as gloomy and wet. On the east coast of the US rainfall is very evenly spread throughout the year, with a lot of places getting a summer maximum and also many places also have a similar sunshine % in winter as they do in summer in stark contrast to here, which probably explains the difference in our perceptions of summer
Ah, that's true. I thought you meant more in the sense that Western Europeans thought the only good summers are sunny and dry ones.

People seem to have a misconception on Eastern US summers.....sure they're stormy but they are still very sunny. You get the best of both worlds - plenty of sunshine but enough rain to keep things nice and green.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:10 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,462,608 times
Europe generally looks terrible for warm rain lovers. Most coastal locations in the southern US average more rainfall June-August than the whole year in Valencia.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Europe generally looks terrible for warm rain lovers. Most coastal locations in the southern US average more rainfall June-August than the whole year in Valencia.
Europe looks pretty bad for anyone who likes interesting weather in general, Eastern Europe is far better than Western Europe though.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times
Thunderstorms are associated with hot weather even there though not as common. I saw several impressive thunderstorms in Germany.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Thunderstorms are associated with hot weather even there though not as common. I saw several impressive thunderstorms in Germany.
Germany definitely has a decent variety of weather for being in Western Europe. Though, I guess Germany could be considered "Central" Europe?

Old 01-04-2016, 10:20 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,443,101 times
This is by far the best and most convincing exposition I've ever come across on the various theoretical causes of male homosexuality.

What Causes Male Homosexuality? | Center for Gender Wholeness

Old 01-04-2016, 10:27 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,604,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
This is by far the best and most convincing exposition I've ever come across on the various theoretical causes of male homosexuality.

What Causes Male Homosexuality? | Center for Gender Wholeness
That website is very dangerous - offering therapy for 'unwanted homosexual attractions'. This really isn't the type of thing we should be putting into the public sphere. It makes it seem that we (gay people) are damaged or have unhealthy relationships with women - or worse, were victims of sexual abuse as children.

Very worrying.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:29 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,568,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86
Wow, I always thought it was unacceptably cold / gloomy for you - has this past December suddenly put the averages above your minimum standards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Dhdh seems to move around a lot.. he lived in Paris not long ago? Maybe he doesn't intend on staying for long. I think he works in finance too so London is a great location for him.
Yeah, I've moved from Paris to Nice to Sydney in just 1 year but this time it is for a really solid work opportunity, so I'm hoping to stay at least a couple years. Weather is definitely gonna be far from ideal but I love the city; incomparably more than Paris. Two different worlds IMO. That plus the fact that my best friend is moving there soon as well, and Nice is only a cheap 1.30 hour flight away I'm also gonna be paid more than I could dream of in France, so weekend trips to Canary Islands or Morocco could be an option to get my warmth and sunshine fix

Btw, I haven't found a place yet, so if anyone here knows someone renting something not too far from St Paul, for around 800-900 GBP/month, I'm all ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather