Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times

Advertisements

From today's mini storm chase (quite literally - it was already moving away!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nice mountain photos
Thanks!

Quote:
I thought the Alps had a higher treeline, maybe depends on what part?
I've found that on the Alps the tree line is (indicatively) at an altitude of 2000m, but of course the precise altitude depends on the place.

Quote:
Never heard of non-wild alpine flowers. Some planted a garden above treeline?
Near that lake there is a man-made garden with all the flowers that grow in that area, each one with its own label. It is also on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jardin..._de_Mont_Cenis

Quote:
Impressive elevation difference between summit and mountain base. Also different is the gap between snowline and treeline; there's not snow on that mountain except for a few small patches yet it's 5000 feet higher than treeline. Western North American mountains don't have as big of a gap.
Yes, the gap is quite impressive. During the middle ages the people were so impressed by that mountain that they started to claim that it was "the highest mountain of the Alps" (of course they were wrong, it was just more famous than the other mountains because it was near an important road for France).
Anyway, now there is nearly no snow because the one in the photo is the south side of the mountain, and so the most exposed to the sun. Then we have been having temperatures higher than the average since the end of June, and nearly no rain. So all the snow melted much more quickly than usual.
This is not only a problem of us. For example two weeks ago the freezing level was nearly 5000m, and so above the highest peak of the Mount Blanc. In fact there are problem with the stability of the snow also there, and the French authorities have closed some of their paths because they are too dangerous right now.
Anyway, I've seen snow on our mountains nearly every summer, but usually during this season it melt really quickly.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:00 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,338 times

Fotostrecken - Wetter Bilder und Fotos - WetterOnline

Old 07-29-2015, 05:17 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
after the rainstorm yesterday. brought my camera but left the SD card at home so just my phone camera:

storm is to the southeast

puddles on the road

corn stalks and Mt. Tom

ground fog forming

not sure if I like this one better

my bike

ground fog thick right here

nearby

Spoiler

mill building on the Mill River

was a flood warning on the Mill River. No flooding, but river level looked high

next morning thick fog. Around 7 am.

cleared just before 10. West

East had thicker clouds
Once again, I'm green with jealously. I'd give anything to be able to get outside and enjoy the outdoors in the middle of summer, and to enjoy a lush green landscape - especially after a good, solid rain. Great pics as always.

It'll be 3 weeks before I pick up my camera again - since I'll not be going anywhere around here except to the shops (grocery, liquor) and the AC'd gym...lol.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:52 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
after the rainstorm yesterday. brought my camera but left the SD card at home so just my phone camera:

ground fog forming

Cool. Now if you released a weather balloon from right there and created a sounding profile you would see that the DP and Temp were touching near the surface but gapping as it goes up vertically because it's much drier at the layers above.

In fact.. just thought of something after your bringing this topic up... it's probably why I don't get ground fog much around here. Temps don't meet the dew points at the surface like yours does..

Quote:
my bike

No kickstand? Looks like you fell. lol Cool shot, I like to see the means of transportation in the pics sometimes.

But that's not my favorite photo... This is.. Something about semi wet rural roads with semi open scenery I love.

Quote:

puddles on the road

Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 AM

Warm and Humid morning here. Temp close to dew point but no fog this morning. Air is still and stagnant.

Minimum Dew point was 66F. Min Temp 69F.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Once again, I'm green with jealously. I'd give anything to be able to get outside and enjoy the outdoors in the middle of summer, and to enjoy a lush green landscape - especially after a good, solid rain. Great pics as always.
It was 69-71°F with a dewpoint of 67°F. You might get similar conditions early morning there some days?

Old 07-29-2015, 01:52 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
It was 69-71°F with a dewpoint of 67°F. You might get similar conditions early morning there some days?
A bit warmer than I would have thought.

It's been dry as well as hot - I'd love to see some wetness for once.

What I'm hoping to see when I go up north is 70's for highs, 50's for lows, with a bit of rain now and then.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:00 PM

July 29, 2015 4pm 91°F IMBY with a normal DP of 65°. Harvest for today.

Whiffle ball gives perspective how big those Tomatoes are. The pinkish one is called "Steak Sandwich". VERY juicy! Mmmmm

Cucumbers loving the heat. Just gave all the plants a good drink.

It's been 1.5 wks since any rains, (over 0.05") grass is starting to show now. Go to sleepy now! Amazing what we always say here huh.. "We need rain!" "We got too much rain!". Our stretches are crazy sometimes. We had 10" in 3 weeks. Now we're going to have 0.05" in 2 weeks.

This was lush green 2-3 weeks ago. You can see the middle area only the heat/drought tolerant ones are green (thicker blades), and the non tolerant ones are turning brown.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Huh. You missed out all the rain early this week. Haven't seen any grass as dry as yours. What's the advantage of non-drought tolerant grass? Healthy large tomatoes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather