Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is the cause of recent global warming?
I think It's mostly man-made. 56 31.11%
I think It's mostly natural. 66 36.67%
I'm not sure. 11 6.11%
I think it's an equal combination of man and natural influences. 47 26.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

One thing I find interesting about global warming are the people that say it is natural and just pollute and live like super selfishly. No matter if you believe in it or not, to drive some dumb Hummer or just pollute like crazy is just selfish regardless. Being more harmonious with the planet is kind and good and it shows you give a crap about the next generation. It really is amazing to me how many selfish people there are.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:30 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
One thing I find interesting about global warming are the people that say it is natural and just pollute and live like super selfishly. No matter if you believe in it or not, to drive some dumb Hummer or just pollute like crazy is just selfish regardless. Being more harmonious with the planet is kind and good and it shows you give a crap about the next generation. It really is amazing to me how many selfish people there are.
Pollution is a serious problem irrespective of AGW, so your point is moot. Not only that, but those are two completely different topics. Driving a Hummer is bad only because you drive a Prius, but compared the guy who drives nothing, you driving the Prius is many times worse to the guy who rides his bicycle than a Hummer is to you. It amazes me how selfish you can be driving a car when you could just ride a bicycle.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
It amazes me how selfish you can be driving a car when you could just ride a bicycle.
This. Though it wasn't your point.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:32 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
I don`t think that the world is warming , its cold where I am ...But there still may be to much gasses going in the air , and trees being cut down with out thought , but there is a global rejection of the true Living God which faith is absent so His protection will be absent without faith and disasters will come with out God`s protection .......................Then there is a high tax from Government to have alternative heat for home and fuel for transportation which inhibits the answer to this perplexing question ...................... See homes can be fitted with heat pumps with reduces the need for natural gas , and transportations could use hydrogen for fuel which can stop the need for gasoline , but government need to help in the development instead of taxing people out of business with green tax which is a tax grab only and it does not help

Old 12-29-2014, 04:12 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
And how much CO2 have we added over the last 100 years? Like about 1/100th of 1% or something like that? That's like nothing.
No. The atmospheric CO2 concentration has increased by more than 40% since the beginning of the industrial revolution.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:47 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Let's have a math lesson. Let's say you have the numbers 1 to 100. Now, let's say that for the past 6 years you have the numbers 100, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95. Now, this is clearly a sequence of numbers above the average of 50, record breaking if you will, but the trend is downward. Therefore, you CAN have cooling even if 9 of the 10 hottest years on record have been within the past 16 years. For the record, we have not had cooling, or at least not more than a few years and therefore not long enough to show a trend.
Absolute nonsense - I refer you back to this: 10 Warmest Years on Record Globally | Climate Central
2010 at the moment is the warmest year in the world, and looking at this year it maybe warmer - suggesting to me that the globe is getting warmer, not cooling down! Try saying that climate change isn't real to Australians - who have to deal with more days above 40 degrees each year! In Tazie, for 60 or so years the area didn't receive above 40 degrees and the record high was something like 40.5C, but in 2009 this was broken to 40.8C and then the area broke that in 2011 to 41.8C, this within a space of 2 years - the rest of Aus has also noticed this warming trend to.
Now it might be OK for those Americans who still get the occasional cold snaps, but the rest of the world is seriously warming up - and those in California must have noticed it the past couple of years surely?

Old 12-29-2014, 05:52 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,300,581 times
Your poll is flawed as it does not include an option for those who don't believe there is any global warming taking place.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:49 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Your poll is flawed as it does not include an option for those who don't believe there is any global warming taking place.
That's because global warming is taking place!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:59 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
No. The atmospheric CO2 concentration has increased by more than 40% since the beginning of the industrial revolution.
It's still infinitesimal and appears to be within the range of CO2 historically. Volcano activity change moves the dial on greenhouse gases much more so than mans activity.

I think most who believe in AGW are religious about it and worship earth as the science is not convincing at all.

CO2 is 0.038% of the atmosphere, so doubling it, which,has not happened makes it a minor player when compared to water vapor and nitrogen, oxygen and argon the dominate atmospheric gases. CO2 is not as prolific heat sink as water vapor one of the much more abundant atmosphere content.

There is no consensus about AGW despite what the politicians and many grant money driven scientists will try to tell you.

CO2 is vital for the plant life on the planet to thrive as plants convert CO2 to oxygen as they grow. Some scientists think we are in a low CO2 environment now after an increase from several sources including fossil fuel burning. Some claim dinosaurs were so large because the high CO2 environment at that time fueled plant growth to feed the large dinosaurs, but this too certainly isn't settled science either.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 12-29-2014 at 08:27 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
CO2 is 0.038% of the atmosphere, so doubling it, which,has not happened makes it a minor player when compared to water vapor and nitrogen, oxygen and argon the dominate atmospheric gases.
But O2, N2 and Ar don't contribute at all to the greenhouse effect, because they can't absorb the IR radiation. And so the greenhouse effect is mainly due to gasses only present in traces in the atmosphere.
The main greenhouse gas is water vapor, followed by CO2 and CH4 and so on. The concentration of water vapor can't be changed directly by the human activity, because it depends on the water circle, but the concentration of CO2, CH4 and a lot of other greenhouse gasses are increasing rapidly due to human activities. Those gasses have adsorption picks in correspondence of the "atmospheric window", which means that they adsorb IR radiation at specific frequencies that can't be adsorbed by water vapor. Because of this, also if their concentration is measured in ppb, they contribution to the greenhouse effect is really important.

Furthermore, the climate system is really complex and the intensification of the green house effect is not the only factor behind climate changes. And the whole problem is really complicated because of the feedbacks.

One parameter to describe those climate change is the radiative forcing, that is the difference between the energy absorbed by the Earth and the energy re-emitted. If it is positive the Earth absorb more energy that it emits, and so the temperatures tend to rise. The radiative forcing is also one of the parameters used by the IPCC (intergovernmental panel on climate change) to describe the causes of climate changes.

this is the valuation of radiative forcing made in 2013 by the IPCC, referred to 1750. A positive value means that that factor increased the amount of energy of the Earth-system (compared to 1750), and a negative value means that that factor decreased it.
The graph shows how a lot of human activities had a radiative forcing. The first 4 bars are about the effect of green house gasses, that have mainly a positive (=heating) effect. The bars with negative values are mainly due to the albedo, that is the measure of the incident sun light reflected by that component. The atmospheric particulate (in particular if contains sulfates and nitrates) could increase the total albedo and so have a cooling effect. On the other hand, other components of the atmospheric particulate (in particular the ones that contain carbon) tend to absorb the incident light and to have a heating effect.
The albedo modification can also change as a consequence of changing in the land use (for example a forest has a different albedo than an cultivated land), and the melting of the ice caps has also an effect on the albedo.

Overall the human activities have a positive radiative forcing, and so in my opinion we are playing an important role in the global warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather