Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 01:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,807,206 times

Advertisements

this explains why the brittish isles has some of the highest lapse rates in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Clearly most people in Norway live along the fjords and coast (all cities), at low altitude.

However, inland in the southeast, there are many farms and towns higher than 300 m altitude, even many farms and villages higher than 500m, and there are even farms at 900m altitude.
For instance:
Geilo town at 800m altitude
Geilo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Valdres area with several municipalities
Valdres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and with a small airport at 822m
Fagernes Airport, Leirin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dovre:
Dovre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lom at nearly 400 m
Lom, Norway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tynset town at nearly 500m, with the coldest winters in southern Norway
Tynset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even in Central Norway/Trøndelag (Trondheim region), we have Røros at more than 600 m altitude
Røros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oppdal at 550m altitude, a town and winter sports center but also a farming area
Oppdal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the far north, few live in the highlands, but Kautokeino, a small town and centre for the Sami culture, is at some 300m altitude
Kautokeino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Climate and weather information are of course important for communications over the mountains (roads, trains), as well as all those people hiking or skiing in the mountan areas or going to their second homes (hytte).
Would it not be unsustainable to live up there? Here at 900m it would be snowbound all winter with a subarctic climate. Norway would be much worse.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:31 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think Oceanic climates tend to have a lower lapse rate than Continental climates, so I would be surprised if your figure was that high.

Around here, two locations at about 850m/2700ft have average annual temps at 4C lower than sea level, and one location at 650m/2000ft is 3C lower.

There is no simple gradient following the seasons though. Summer maximums in two locations are close to sea level averages, with minimums coming in much lower lower. I think geography is the main factor at work.

Inversions make it hard to make easy comparisons. I've seen extreme inversions around here before, with valley floors being up to 15C/30F colder than slopes 800m/2600ft higher.

I live at 100m/300ft, and record maximums in line with the official recording site (at 8m/25ft), but with minimums about 1C warmer.
No. We have high lapse rates. Slieve donard avg jan high is 7c colder than low level locations.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:53 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,695,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Would it not be unsustainable to live up there? Here at 900m it would be snowbound all winter with a subarctic climate. Norway would be much worse.
Sure these places at higher altitude have subarctic climates. But most of these high altitude towns are surrounded by higher mountains and plateaus, so they are less windy compared to exposed mountains at the same altitude.
Many have modest annual precipitation: Dovre 430 mm or less, Tynset 400 mm, Oppdal and Røros 500 mm, Kautokeino 300 mm, so snowcover in winter, although always present, is not extreme by any means. These places do have a summer, even though a brief one (see for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tynset). Remember that they often border fairly large areas with mountain forest and alpine tundra, both of which in earlier days was and still is being used for grazing (sheep mostly, reindeer in Kautokeino and partly Røros-area), and often see skiing (winter) or hiking tourists in summer and early autumn. Røros is on the UNESCO - list and also has railway connection.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No. We have high lapse rates. Slieve donard avg jan high is 7c colder than low level locations.
Are you sure? That's as much as the difference between Fort William and Ben Nevis, even though Ben Nevis is a 500m/1500ft higher mountain. That would also give Slieve Donard's summit the same temperature as Ben Nevis.

That would make Slieve Donard viable for commercial skiing, which I suspect is not actually the case.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,660,811 times
On deep tropical island country like Indonesia, temp diff. with altitude is so noticeable. I'd say about 300-500m (2-3c)

Old 05-02-2015, 02:48 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,821,176 times
Sea Level Rise Maps | Spatialities

Interesting little map. Showing maps of various cities underwater due to rising sea levels. York, Leeds, London, NYC etc, are shown.

BTW, York is 10m asl, but that goes down to 5m in the southern side of the city.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:04 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,190,356 times
It all depends, but a 60m difference probably isn't going to make much of a difference at 30 C / 86 F. It would likely be between 29.5 and 30.0 C / 85.1 - 86.0 F still. I wouldn't put it past the weather to be as cool as 29.0 C / 84.2 F though.

However, I have heard of COLD air pooling in valleys when it's very cold, especially below -20 C / -4 F. Small changes in altitude can create large temperature changes then.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:20 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,821,176 times
Yeah, I imagine our coldest lows in winter in the Vale of York are probably a bit colder than Leeds for example. I think it may be slightly warmer here in summer though?

Also regarding snow etc, there's a hill about 10 miles east of York that you have to go over to get to the coast. Anyway this hill is around 250m high, and is often closed in winter due to heavy snow, but the base of the hill there is absolutely nothing.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:06 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,660,941 times
Here's the difference in climate between somewhere on the coast of NW England and somewhere about 50 km inland at 391 m asl.

It's not just the change in temperature but the whole feel of the climate is quite different, particularly in winter, with much more wind, low cloud, and temperatures below freezing while areas at sea level stay above.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather