Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,324 times

Advertisements

Here you can see the mean temperature difference between 2 m above ground at Strasbourg weather station and 142 m above ground at Strasbourg Cathedral's spire over the course of one day:

(sorry, the caption is in german and this is not my figure)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Well a rough guide is a 0.6-1.0C decrease for every 100 metres. So 500 metres would be between 3-5C cooler than sea-level, 1000 metres 6-10C cooler. In that case I'd say 300-400m would be where one would begin to notice any real difference.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Altitude is very important in my country. Not least because even at low altitude, a large part of the year has temperature not very far from freezing. So driving conditions over the mountains might be very different from near sea level.

Here's one example from just now today at 14:00:

Lærdal at 2m asl (innermost Sognefjord): 6.9C
Sogndal airport 500m asl: 1.7C
Sognefjellshytta (lodge) at 1,413m asl: -6.5C
Fannaråki (mountain) at 2,062m asl: -10.2C

Distance from the fjord is also of importance.

Many weather maps and other maps doesn't have good enough resolution to be very usefull for Norway, because of the topography and because of the mountains and mountain plains covering a large part of the country.
Does anybody even live at that altitude lets be honest? I mean even here nobody lives above 300m.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I think you would have to go quite high in elevation to notice any difference. And sometimes it's the opposite because warmer air rises, so it's an inversion. I did experience an inversion recently. On October 26th of this year, I was at Hickory Run State Park in the Poconos. The point in the park I started at is off an east-west road where hiking trails start on either side heading north and south. The one going south decreases in elevation and the one heading north increases in elevation. I started out on the one going south, which leads to a nice waterfall. I had brought several extra layers of sweaters in my backpack and had to use them at this point, as it was quite chilly. Got to the waterfall, went back up, crossed the road, and went on the trail headed north. At this point I had to take off all the layers, as I was quite warm in them. I have a park map which also shows elevation isolines, and the highest point I was at on the northbound trail was about 1900' (580m). An hour later after heading south again, crossing the road again, and heading down towards the waterfall, I was at about 1400' (425m) again by the waterfall. So the difference in elevations I experienced was roughly 500 feet or 150m. I needed to put my layers back on as I was chilly once more. Looking on the map, right around the waterfall is a valley where the elevation drops off significantly, so I can definitely see how inversions can occur this way.
Not really. In winter here it can be 2 feet of snow at 200m and pouring with rain at sea level.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well a rough guide is a 0.6-1.0C decrease for every 100 metres. So 500 metres would be between 3-5C cooler than sea-level, 1000 metres 6-10C cooler. In that case I'd say 300-400m would be where one would begin to notice any real difference.
Where I live it is usually a 3c difference for 330m (highest point of road behind my house) Like it can be wet here and 3c and then snow lying at 330m. Often the snow lies at 330m long before here. Like its probably snowing up there right now and its raining and 4.3c here.

So there can be quite a large difference.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
The average environmental lapse rate is 6.4°C/ km change in elevation. Obviously, it varies by location and time but that's a good estimate.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

answer is in the data listed in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-altitude.html

Old 12-21-2013, 11:28 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Does anybody even live at that altitude lets be honest? I mean even here nobody lives above 300m.
Clearly most people in Norway live along the fjords and coast (all cities), at low altitude.

However, inland in the southeast, there are many farms and towns higher than 300 m altitude, even many farms and villages higher than 500m, and there are even farms at 900m altitude.
For instance:
Geilo town at 800m altitude
Geilo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Valdres area with several municipalities
Valdres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and with a small airport at 822m
Fagernes Airport, Leirin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dovre:
Dovre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lom at nearly 400 m
Lom, Norway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tynset town at nearly 500m, with the coldest winters in southern Norway
Tynset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even in Central Norway/Trøndelag (Trondheim region), we have Røros at more than 600 m altitude
Røros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oppdal at 550m altitude, a town and winter sports center but also a farming area
Oppdal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the far north, few live in the highlands, but Kautokeino, a small town and centre for the Sami culture, is at some 300m altitude
Kautokeino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Climate and weather information are of course important for communications over the mountains (roads, trains), as well as all those people hiking or skiing in the mountan areas or going to their second homes (hytte).

Old 12-21-2013, 11:31 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Where I live it is usually a 3c difference for 330m (highest point of road behind my house) Like it can be wet here and 3c and then snow lying at 330m. Often the snow lies at 330m long before here. Like its probably snowing up there right now and its raining and 4.3c here.

So there can be quite a large difference.
I think Oceanic climates tend to have a lower lapse rate than Continental climates, so I would be surprised if your figure was that high.

Around here, two locations at about 850m/2700ft have average annual temps at 4C lower than sea level, and one location at 650m/2000ft is 3C lower.

There is no simple gradient following the seasons though. Summer maximums in two locations are close to sea level averages, with minimums coming in much lower lower. I think geography is the main factor at work.

Inversions make it hard to make easy comparisons. I've seen extreme inversions around here before, with valley floors being up to 15C/30F colder than slopes 800m/2600ft higher.

I live at 100m/300ft, and record maximums in line with the official recording site (at 8m/25ft), but with minimums about 1C warmer.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think Oceanic climates tend to have a lower lapse rate than Continental climates, so I would be surprised if your figure was that high.
Read through the thread I linked, which has numerous comparisons. The UK sites I found have somewhat steeper winter lapse rates than the Northeast US, and similar summer ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather