Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
Christmas Island in May has an average high of 27.8°c and a record monthly high of 30°c, 2.2°c apart: Climate Statistics
That's amazing! It must be a very stable climate there, it's odd how the tropics are typically associated with extreme weather. What about in less equatorial locations? Cork has an average high of 8.5 and record high of 13.8 in December. Is this about as small a difference and it gets, this far from the equator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 03:55 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
You forgot the Southern Ocean.

Macquarie Island's July record high is only 3.4C higher than it's July average high:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macquarie_Island

Old 12-11-2013, 01:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,090 times
Campbell Island is probably another example, it looks ridiculously stable:

Campbell Island, New Zealand - Wikipedia

Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Singapore

Avg Nov low: 23.7°C
Record Nov low: 21.1°C

Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
What about for less equatorial, more continental climates?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
A maritime continental climate like Halifax. July min is 14.2°c and record monthly min is 7.2°c (probably as close as you can get with a continental climate).

Climate Normals 1971-2000

Old 12-11-2013, 02:11 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Sedom, Israel (Dead Sea)

August Low: 29.9 C
Aug. Record Low: 26.8 C

Old 12-11-2013, 03:53 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Talk about a fantasy climate.

One of the #1 banes of my existence, of all things, is abnormal weather. To me the calendar and the normals are nothing less than God. You can tell me all day long "the averages are just that, averages, they're not 'normals,' they're merely statistical representations of the wide range of potential temperatures, not an indication of what 'normal' is," and I will still care less. In my mind, an average or normal high of 65'F means that I have the RIGHT to DEMAND and EXPECT that the temperature should be right at 65'F, period. The MOST I'd allow would be 60'F and 70'F, or 5'F on either side. That's it.

I could have just had sex with Beyoncé, Salma Hayek, Jennifer Lawrence, Sarah Foster, Jessica Alba, Jennifer Aniston, and Shania Twain, and driven home to find the house cleaned for me and broken things fixed--and none of that matters, if the temperatures are strongly deviating from their normals. News that someone down the road was murdered or robbed bothers me less than the news that the weather forecast calls for our temperatures to be most unusual for this time of the year.

And the thing is, it seems that pretty much the entire US other than perhaps San Diego or such has the most schizophrenic weather you can possibly image, especially in the spring & fall. It seems most intent on raping & pillaging the period when you'd have every reason to expect to be able to enjoy freedom from heat or cold, the period when it's 60-80 or so. It doesn't seem to do that during the cold and hot periods, just the mild ones.

For instance, here the normal is 61'F, it may be the middle of December but the normal high is around 61'F. Instead, for like 3 days last week, it was close to 80, in fact I was even able to swim in my neighbor's pond (granted, it's a pond that for some reason seems to warm up quicker than other similar bodies of water) and it felt great, I wasn't jumping out in 5 seconds going "oh my God!!!" I was in there for 10 minutes just enjoying myself like it was no big deal. The whole time I was like "for crying out loud, it's December 4th, this is crazy."

But, the thing is, while I enjoy being able to do that, it's December, I'm not in Hawaii, that's not something that's normal. And you will pay the piper.

Thus, after 3 days of that, the morning starts out around 50 and continues to drop to where by lunch or so it's in the 40s and later it's in the 30s. Since then, for nearly a week, our highs have been around 47 on a GOOD day, and other days we've had highs of 31 or 36 etc. This is some 25-30 degrees below normal. One day I observed the temperature as being 28'F around 1 p.m. It also necessitated tons of heat being produced in the home to offset it, whereas I'd otherwise been able to leave it AND the cooling off (I had to run the A/C a bit on those 3 days) and saved money on energy bills. You expect to have to spend on energy for cooling in the summer, and SOME for heat in the coldest part of winter, but this is already like the 3rd time in the past month that we've had cold snaps necessitating heat where we otherwise wouldn't have.

It would have suited me just fine, in fact I'd STRONGLY preferred it, if it had simply hovered in the neighborhood of 61'F and just kept it at that. You know, NORMAL weather, not this stupid roller coaster up-is-down and down-is-up nonsense that totally spits in the face of the calendar & seasons as if they're totally irrelevant. To me, it' s nothing less than an "alternate universe" straight out of the science fiction movies & just like in the movies you expend every ounce of your energy & such looking to get out of it & back to where things are normal again.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Sounds like San Francisco! I lived there for a total of 5 years, and it rarely gets above or below 55-60... although if you look at the stats, I'm not sure if it shows that accurately (the weather is measured from Sutro Tower, where it's sunnier than most of the city). So it might not meet your exact "requirements," but is about as mild a climate as you can find.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,042,541 times
The summer months here also have a rather small difference between average lows.
The August average low e.g. is 13.5°C in Bremerhaven while the alltime record low is just 7.5°C.
Same can be said about July with an average low of 13.7°C, alltime record low here is 7.1°C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather