Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 02:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

That's probably right. The different ends of NZ seem quite different to me, even though there's only a 7C annual difference.

London and Bordeaux seem fairly similar also. Both Oceanic climates, which is the most important factor This business of warm ,cool, mild, extra mild, hot n spicy etc, is all a bit convoluted -much easier just to look at a holiday guide if you want to get an idea of temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
I think -3°C temperate/subtropical borderline is stupid. Seriously, climates like Zaporizhia (the coldest month mean -3.1°C) are nowhere close to subtropical.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:13 AM

824 posts, read 688,329 times
The C zone needs to split into subtropical (S) and temperate (T) about halfway through

An example of this issue is the american east coast, with places like NY and Orlando being in the same zone.

Now these climates would be Sfa and Tfa rather than both being Cfa

Old 01-26-2015, 05:57 PM

155 posts, read 149,685 times
The system by "wawa1992" - simple and consistent, and worth working with and mapping. It shows differences between mesothermal SW desert places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Albuquerque (all desert, different degrees of winter and/or summer). Or Albuquerque and Nashville (similar degrees of winter/summer, different moisture). Could further address climate differences that create short grass, prairie / woods, and forest - those are noticeable.

Koppen seems unworkable - he missed some causes to climates and was inconsistent with factors in different climates. He missed decades of climate data, and my guess is Vlad / his colleagues never visited enough places to visualize or even extrapolate. Since his system is 100+ years ago, and variations on it are 30+ years, it's time to greatly refine or move on?

Holdridge has good ideas - it needs extremes of heat and cold added to it, plus some other ideas. It ties into natural plant communities decently. I recommend looking at it -
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Pengo.svg.png
http://www.bonap.org/Climate%20Maps/...re20110322.png

Merriam is unworkable - it was onto good ideas for predicting agriculture using elevations and flora / fauna, but had little data to work with, grouped too different places into same, made claims that cannot be verified (olives grown in SW Utah?), and so on.

This computer modeling of various datasets has promise -
http://www.bonap.org/Climate%20Maps/climate48shadeA.png
It would be good to have the ability to move parameters - some is terminology, but some is off, really generalized in the east for how specific it is in the west...Topeka and Long Island the same "humid warm temperate"? Compare native vegetation cover and rainfall of those two, etc.

This is also interesting and computer-compiled, but a challenge to work -
http://ecoexplorer.arcgis.com/eco/maps.html
I can't tell what data and systems it's based on, and it would be helpful to be able to set parameters to customize it. Click on globe near + and - icons, upper right to start, then scan around on right pane, zoom in or out, and click on a place you want.

Last edited by nmdesert; 01-26-2015 at 07:25 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 09:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdesert View Post
The system by "wawa1992" - simple and consistent, and worth working with and mapping.
Big flaws with this system, and any other that attempt to define climates by using rigid temperature parameters. Under this system, my climate has more in common with Reykjavik or Dallas, than places only 300 km away from me.

The only way to group climates, is by linking climate to cause.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:07 PM

155 posts, read 149,685 times
Default How would you change the climate classification? - causes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Big flaws with this system, and any other that attempt to define climates by using rigid temperature parameters. Under this system, my climate has more in common with Reykjavik or Dallas, than places only 300 km away from me.

The only way to group climates, is by linking climate to cause.
I can see that, and that's what I do...plus not-so-rigid climate or species parameters still would help define climates. You sound familiar with the NZ region, and many global areas...I'm unfamiliar with NZ.

What are your main causes, that could be adapted for various continents? (I may have missed your stating those on past posts, as I'm not online for forums much)

* my system is roughly stated here (bottom post) -
https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ystem-you.html

(my first item of "oceanic or contenintal influences" concerns one's side of a land mass, ocean temperature, latitude, terrain, etc.)

Old 02-01-2015, 01:24 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,194 times
Political.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:21 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
The C zone needs to split into subtropical (S) and temperate (T) about halfway through

An example of this issue is the american east coast, with places like NY and Orlando being in the same zone.

I couldn't have said it better.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
I'd split the tundra climate.

Cold Tundra: warmest month mean below 10 °C, coldest month mean below 0 °C: Barrow, Alaska
Oceanic Tundra: warmest month mean below 10 °C, coldest month mean above 0 °C: Macquarie Island

Old 05-17-2016, 07:12 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post

Great idea. Where would you put the limit ? something like 6 or 7c average for the coldest month, maybe ? or warmer ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather