Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 01:15 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,184,193 times

Advertisements

For me the UK is cool temperate, London included. Its annual mean is below 12°C, and its July mean is below 19°C.
The fact it reaches 30°C a couple of times per year doesn't mean it has a warm climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:17 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
I guess London and Southern Britain being a cool temperate or warm temperate climate is a very subjective one, and is up to the individual person...
I mean it's suppose to be 21 degrees tomorrow maximum (which really isn't that warm if I'm honest!), and it's all over the UK Papers! Oh, and it's also a Halloween record high, just goes to show how pathetic the UK climate is really! A pleasant 30 degrees in Melbourne tomorrow! LOL

Old 10-30-2014, 01:54 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
London and SE England is somewhere in between. Shetland Isles has a cool temperature climate. There's a big difference between that climate and London's (and also Buxton and London's).

Old 10-30-2014, 10:49 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I don't consider London to be cool temperate. I would say somewhere like Edinburgh or Belfast is cool temperate.
I guess I should've made a "mild temperate" classification up there, where Southern England and most of Central Europe (i.e. Poland, Netherlands, Germany) would fall under.

And yes, Edinburgh, Belfast and Glasgow would be somewhere along the lines of 'cool temperate'.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:26 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I guess I should've made a "mild temperate" classification up there, where Southern England and most of Central Europe (i.e. Poland, Netherlands, Germany) would fall under.

And yes, Edinburgh, Belfast and Glasgow would be somewhere along the lines of 'cool temperate'.
Yea, mild temperate sounds about right tbh... much of Scotland and NI hardly av above 20 on the warmest month, whereas most of England and Wales do.
I think mild tamp I can defo agree on
What would you give places like the north east coast of the US? after all winters can get down to -5 as a max in winter to 30 max in the summer... This is why I think those maps were a bit simplistic...

Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
What would you give places like the north east coast of the US? after all winters can get down to -5 as a max in winter to 30 max in the summer... This is why I think those maps were a bit simplistic...
Continental-temperate

A term I coined for continental places with hot summers (look at my little list up there).

Old 10-31-2014, 11:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post

There must be something really important about the 18-23 C maximum temperature range, that it's split into three groups. I guess that's what happens when a system is designed with specific climates being excluded, as the main objective

Somewhere like Belfast has a warmer annual temperature than Warsaw, yet belongs in a colder grouping. Sure is a complicated system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Yea, mild temperate sounds about groupsright tbh... much of Scotland and NI hardly av above 20 on the warmest month, whereas most of England and Wales do.
I think mild tamp I can defo agree on .
On a global scale, the 2-3 C difference between your summer maximum and somewhere like Glasgow, barely register. Why try to show the climates as fundamentally different, when they're not?

Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
In England we have a stupid superiority complex that the south is so much warmer in year round while the north is so cold and rainy.

That's why people have a need to differentiate.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
In England we have a stupid superiority complex that the south is so much warmer in year round while the north is so cold and rainy.

That's why people have a need to differentiate.
True enough. People often think locally while classifying climate, rather than globally.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
The difference between Edinburgh city centre and London Heathrow, temperature-wise, is about the same as the difference between London and Vigo or Bordeaux.

I think people in oceanic climates notice small changes more, as temperature variation is low compared to other parts of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather