Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I wouldn't consider Ottawa or Harbin has cool temperate maybe cool continental or Hemiboreal.
Here you got me confused. Isn't continental and temperate practically the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I would call them cold temperate
Yes, in the winter. In summer Ottawa is warmer than any place in the UK. Ottawa's July mean temp is 21C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Qttawa and moscow are boreal climate not at all temperate.
No, they aren't. Boreal is a synonym for subarctic, and both cities are way too warm to be called subarctic. A subarctic climate can have a mean temp of 10C/50F for a maximum of 3 months, typically has 6-7 months with a mean below freezing, and a very short frost-free growing season. Like 100 days.

Moscow and Ottawa have 5 months with a mean above 10C, O. has 8 months above freezing, M. 7 months. Moscow isn't even cold in winter compared to a great deal of US and Canada.

Rovaniemi is a classic subarctic climate, even if it has a growing season around 145 days:
Rovaniemi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 05:52 AM

To say 'temperate', the location has to have 4-7 months with a mean above 10C. 5 month is the typical length (May-Sept). Like in Kiev, Warsaw, Helsinki and Stockholm.

I would focus most on the 7-8 warmest months. Cool temperate are locations like Turku, 5 months above 10C and 4 months below freezing. Amsterdam is mild temperate, with 6 months above 10C, and not a single month below freezing, but still with cool summers.
Lyon and Budapest are warm temperate, with warm summers and mild winters. Ottawa is warm summer temperate, but not warm temperate due to the cold winters.
Bordeaux is borderline subtropical, as it has 7 months above 10C, and 2 additional months with a mean above 9C.

But the problem is how to classify continental climates on a temperate scale? Like Fargo, ND. An average high of -7.7C in January, 28C in July. Is the cold winter more important than summer? Fargo's winters make Helsinki feel subtropical, though Fargo's 7 warmest months are all warmer than Helsinki's. That's the dilemma.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,032,668 times
Exactly. Not all places will neatly fit in the 'box' of classification of such systems as Koppen's...

Some places will be cool year round, but not have extreme cold or heat...

Some places will be cool year round & have extreme cold & heat...

This is why some places need their own classification, as they don't fit all the criteria of Koppen/Trewartha, then again I'm not sure why we are so obsessed to give every place a climate 'label'...

Perhaps places like Ottawa could be described as cold temperate-continental? As they have cold winters, but hot summers?

One of the best descriptions I read for the UK climate was that it is cool temperate-maritime...

Some places need an extra descriptor to show more clearly what their climate is really like.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 AM

29,538 posts, read 19,632,331 times

I'm not sure how Fargo is in the same climate zone as Minsk, Stockholm or Kiev? Fargo has much warmer summers (5-7C warmer) AND colder winters even though Fargo is at a lower latitude.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Perhaps places like Ottawa could be described as cold temperate-continental? As they have cold winters, but hot summers?

One of the best descriptions I read for the UK climate was that it is cool temperate-maritime...
But it doesn't work. Ottawa has warmer summers than Central Europe, so it can't be labeled cold. Therefore, we have to split the year into 2 parts, 6 hottest and 6 coolest months. So, Ottawa has a cold-winter warm-summer temperate climate. In other words supercontinental. Super prefix only because even I think the Ottawa winters are just brutal.

The UK is cool temperate maritime. I like that. Explains the climate really well.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Moscow and Ottawa have 5 months with a mean above 10C, O. has 8 months above freezing, M. 7 months. Moscow isn't even cold in winter compared to a great deal of US and Canada.

[/url]
I would check that...I think Moscow is quite cold in winter. Their mean temp is 20 F in January...that's colder than about 80% of the USA in January and I think stations even in southern Canada like Montreal might have the same temps?

Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But it doesn't work. Ottawa has warmer summers than Central Europe, so it can't be labeled cold. Therefore, we have to split the year into 2 parts, 6 hottest and 6 coolest months. So, Ottawa has a cold-winter warm-summer temperate climate. In other words supercontinental. Super prefix only because even I think the Ottawa winters are just brutal.

The UK is cool temperate maritime. I like that. Explains the climate really well.
Well continental climates have cold winters & hot summers, which is what Ottawa has. A continental climate is a variation of a temperate climate anyway...

So cold temperate (for the cold winters) continental (for hot summers) works well for Ottawa I think...

Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I would check that...I think Moscow is quite cold in winter. Their mean temp is 20 F in January...that's colder than about 80% of the USA in January and I think stations even in southern Canada like Montreal might have the same temps?

Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, it was an exaggeration, but in fact Moscow's winters aren't that brutal if you compare to Winnipeg or the Twin Cities.

Quote:
Well continental climates have cold winters & hot summers, which is what Ottawa has. A continental climate is a variation of a temperate climate anyway...

So cold temperate (for the cold winters) continental (for hot summers) works well for Ottawa I think...
The definition being? Should we make one?

Here's my suggestions for the classification:
1) Months with a mean temp above 10C (the requirement to trees to grow.)
2) Months with a mean temp above 5C (the requirement to grass to grow.)
3) Months with a mean temp below 0C (the requirement for frost heaving.)
4) growth period (mean temp constantly above 5C.)
5) precipitation.
6) hottest month with a mean of at least 20C (22C?)
7) coldest month with a mean of at least -5C?

Apply them for any location, and we'll see what we can agree upon.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 PM

The definition being being common sense

If you start adding temperature boundaries etc.. (a la Koppen/Trewartha) then it complicates things...

I use climate types in a general sense, I think this is why there is so much confusion as to what climate 'X', 'Y'' & 'Z' has on here

Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
The definition being being common sense

If you start adding temperature boundaries etc.. (a la Koppen/Trewartha) then it complicates things...

I use climate types in a general sense, I think this is why there is so much confusion as to what climate 'X', 'Y'' & 'Z' has on here
Your or my common sense? You think -1C is frigid, I think it's a normal winter temperature. I'm not trying to be annoying here, but as there's so much weather knowledge and access to data on the weather forums, why couldn't we agree upon some common definitions without prejustice? That's my challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather