Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,784,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
I was only making a point, I'm aware that your area will probably be fine unless all of the ice melts, which is unlikely and if it did happen would take hundreds of years. But try saying "you'll be just fine" to the residents of places like Miami, where the highest point in the whole city is only 7m above sea level (and that's a small, isolated ridge that occupies a tiny portion of the city), or New Orleans, where 51% of the city sits below sea level and the ground continues to sink to this day. Not only are these cities coastal and low-lying, but they are also very prone to hurricanes as well. Imagine if Katrina happened almost every year.

And that's just the USA. How about Dhaka in Bangladesh? Flat, coastal location, and already extremely stormy and flood-prone. That place is getting washed away if people aren't careful. Stockholm sits on 14 small islands. I don't think it would take much rise to destroy some fairly substantial areas. And don't even get me started on Amsterdam.

It depresses me that people can look at all of this and just dismiss it as "oh, it'll be fine".

Just so you know, this is not intended to be a personal attack on Cambium and chicagogeorge. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and they have theirs, and that's fine. I'm just pointing out how bad climate change can get.
You're right, Miami won't "Just be fine" lol. we're already seeing far more tidal flooring than we did 30 years ago and it's only going to get worse. You also can't deny that most places in the world are not dominated by positive temperature anomalies, it's a fact whether you like it or not. All I know is I'm getting out of here before real-estate value tanks (my house is only at 4 feet above sea level) we'll have sold it by 2023 or so. By 2040 I think many parts of Miami will be having real problems with incessant tidal flooding not to mention the utter destruction even a moderate storm surge would cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:38 PM

83,588 posts, read 75,571,450 times
Time for the Arctic ice to refreeze again.

https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status/776161166628229121

Old 09-14-2016, 06:40 PM

Polar Bears stalking

https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status/776067932937867264

Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,045,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
All I know is I'm getting out of here before real-estate value tanks (my house is only at 4 feet above sea level) we'll have sold it by 2023 or so.
Where do you intend to move?

Old 09-14-2016, 10:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,960,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
You're right, Miami won't "Just be fine" lol. we're already seeing far more tidal flooring than we did 30 years ago and it's only going to get worse. You also can't deny that most places in the world are not dominated by positive temperature anomalies, it's a fact whether you like it or not. All I know is I'm getting out of here before real-estate value tanks (my house is only at 4 feet above sea level) we'll have sold it by 2023 or so. By 2040 I think many parts of Miami will be having real problems with incessant tidal flooding not to mention the utter destruction even a moderate storm surge would cause.

And yet still thousands move there every year and buy beautiful homes at like 5' above sea level. They will be sorry soon enough.

I'm glad my house is over 60' above sea level here.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:02 AM

29,580 posts, read 19,691,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And yet still thousands move there every year and buy beautiful homes at like 5' above sea level. They will be sorry soon enough.

I'm glad my house is over 60' above sea level here.

If you buy into the dire alarmist scenarios like what Hansen just published, then Florida is screwed but so is much of the East Coast including NYC, DC, Boston, Atlantic City..... and you might have beach front property in just a couple generations.

Quote:
We hypothesize that ice mass loss from the most vulnerable ice, sufficient to raise sea level several meters, is better approximated as exponential than by a more linear response. Doubling times of 10, 20 or 40 years yield multi-meter sea level rise in about 50, 100 or 200 years. Recent ice melt doubling times are near the lower end of the 10–40-year range, but the record is too short to confirm the nature of the response. The feedbacks, including subsurface ocean warming, help explain paleoclimate data and point to a dominant Southern Ocean role in controlling atmospheric CO2, which in turn exercised tight control on global temperature and sea level. The millennial (500–2000-year) timescale of deep-ocean ventilation affects the timescale for natural CO2 change and thus the timescale for paleo-global climate, ice sheet, and sea level changes, but this paleo-millennial timescale should not be misinterpreted as the timescale for ice sheet response to a rapid, large, human-made climate forcing. These climate feedbacks aid interpretation of events late in the prior interglacial, when sea level rose to +6–9 m with evidence of extreme storms while Earth was less than 1 °C warmer than today.

and Europe might end up cooling

Quote:
These predictions, especially the cooling in the Southern Ocean and North Atlantic with markedly reduced warming or even cooling in Europe, differ fundamentally from existing climate change assessments. We discuss observations and modeling studies needed to refute or clarify these assertions.
ACP - Abstract - Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2 °C global warming could be dangerous

Quote:
Global warming of 2C above pre-industrial times – the world is already halfway to this mark – would be “dangerous” and risk submerging cities, the paper said. A separate study, released in February, warned that New York, London, Rio de Janeiro and Shanghai will be among the cities at risk from flooding by 2100

Old 09-15-2016, 02:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,960,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
If you buy into the dire alarmist scenarios like what Hansen just published, then Florida is screwed but so is much of the East Coast including NYC, DC, Boston, Atlantic City..... and you might have beach front property in just a couple generations.

and Europe might end up cooling

ACP - Abstract - Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2 °C global warming could be dangerous

Well, even if Hansen is off by a meter or two, doesn't it still make sense for us to get off of limited fossil fuels like oil and coal? Why are conservatives so determined to keep burning coal and drilling for oil? Why are they against investing in and researching alternative energy sources? They won't even let our govt fund research in this area.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:33 AM

Nice Arctic Ice rebound but the media and alarmists wont be mentioning that... Only the gloom & doom stuff.

https://twitter.com/NJSnowFan/status/780234750338498560

Old 09-26-2016, 04:45 AM

29,580 posts, read 19,691,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well, even if Hansen is off by a meter or two, doesn't it still make sense for us to get off of limited fossil fuels like oil and coal? Why are conservatives so determined to keep burning coal and drilling for oil? Why are they against investing in and researching alternative energy sources? They won't even let our govt fund research in this area.
We can't get "off" fossils any time soon. Even if we build 1000 nuclear power plants in the next 3 years (there are only 450 in existence), which is impossible to do in such a short time, that won't do a lick to the projected temperature increases.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:32 AM

Good link to keep. https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop.ver1/vishop-extent.html

Arctic Ice has made a huge comeback compared to previous yrs that were as low at the turn of September. Naturally adds ice starting September but is now more than 2012, 2015, 2007.

Wonder if it will get to the 1990s average.

It's actually more than 2008 and 2011 which that graph doesn't have. You can click show all with link.
And They listed 2015 as 3rd lowest... its not, 2011 is, then 2008, then 2015.

Edit... the first graph is for absolute minimums not for that specific date.. Either way.. it's now more than 5 other years that were as low.. Interesting

Last edited by Cambium; 09-26-2016 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather