Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:27 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,973,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
While Arctic Ice (Not Antarctic) is at its lowest level at this moment I believe, we shouldn't ignore the past. Looks like in 1947 there was some crazy enough warming that they were "alarming" us back then too.. Wonder if we all died after that or if it just refroze.
Actually it was the second lowest on record. 2012 was lower. If you look at Arctic temperatures, it looks like they were actually almost as warm in the 1940s as they are today in the winter. I think I read somewhere that the summer warming is more significant.
Winter temps: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/pubs/outsta...ages/fig01.gif
Research paper source: Wang et al. -- Intrinsic versus forced variation in coupled climate model simulations over the Arctic during the Twentieth Century

If you're really interested, these people seem to have tried to figure out a way to estimate sea ice extent prior to 1979.
http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/star.../Walsh_Wed.pdf

Last edited by srfoskey; 09-12-2016 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:03 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,785,778 times
Quote:
While Arctic Ice (Not Antarctic) is at its lowest level at this moment I believe, we shouldn't ignore the past. Looks like in 1947 there was some crazy enough warming that they were "alarming" us back then too.. Wonder if we all died after that or if it just refroze.

https://twitter.com/SteveSGoddard/st...20620363567104
He was correct with regard to his warning about what would happen if this "slow warming" were to continue.

However, 10 degrees in 47 years isn't slow, and he was wrong about that happening over the Arctic. No indication of where that conclusion came from.

There was, apparently, a very local to Sweden extreme warm up event around that time, so maybe that was the source of confusion.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:15 AM

765 posts, read 574,925 times
This is fun

xkcd: Earth Temperature Timeline

Old 09-13-2016, 05:39 AM

29,556 posts, read 19,649,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
Fun and interesting until they get to the end and forecast "best case" optimistic" and "current path" scenarios. All of which are bull****. No clue as to what the global temps will look like in 84 years

Old 09-13-2016, 06:00 AM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Fun and interesting until they get to the end and forecast "best case" optimistic" and "current path" scenarios. All of which are bull****. No clue as to what the global temps will look like in 84 years
Exactly.. I said the same thing to myself.. Just another way to draw attention to the fear monger agenda. Such a great tool with history and graph yet so unfortunate. Makes us not even discuss the history or work put into this.. That's why I wasn't commenting. They couldn't just leave it as is at current.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:46 AM

Oh you people, the point is that the rate of change (forget the forecast) in the last century has been faster than ever in human history.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:10 AM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Quote:
Oh you people, the point is that the rate of change (forget the forecast) in the last century has been faster than ever in human history.
What, less than 2°F in last century? Gimme a break. Took 100 years to rise 1°C??

I wish we had detailed records of way back in the past rather than just Tree rings and Ice cores which don't capture details like the swings within 25-100yrs of weather and climate.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
What, less than 2°F in last century? Gimme a break. Took 100 years to rise 1°C??

I wish we had detailed records of way back in the past rather than just Tree rings and Ice cores which don't capture details like the swings within 25-100yrs of weather and climate.

What used to take half a millennium happened in just 100 years, that's a lot faster.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:35 AM

56 posts, read 38,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
yep, that pisses me off. the regressive, civilization-hating fear-mongers should ****. What they'd really like is a return to some type of hunter-gatherer society. not gonna happen. global warming is a fact - but the only viable solution is geo-engineering, not cutting down emissions of fossil fuels. the sooner they understand this the better.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:12 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,044,550 times
Quote:
What used to take half a millennium happened in just 100 years, that's a lot faster.
Don't bother arguing with them. They'll come to their senses when half of Bridgeport city center gets flooded every time the tide comes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather