Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is better?
Honolulu 29 53.70%
Toronto 25 46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times

Advertisements

Toronto isn't horrible but it would be a downgrade from where I am now so that makes it unacceptable psychologically.
Honolulu really isn't that hot for a tropical climate. The only real downside would be boredom.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 03:08 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,528 times
Honolulu doesn't get enough variation or storms for my liking so I went with Toronto. My ideal climate is something like Niigata with more sunshine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
First off, that wiki data for Toronto is for a downtown neighborhood. Very odd and to me strikes of some Toronto folks trying to pass the city off as warmer than it is for the whole area. I compare airport to airport, anything else is not apples to apples.
Posting Pearson's climate and claiming it properly represents Toronto is just as biased as posting a downtown station. It makes more sense to look at as many stations as you can in such a large city.

If you only compare airports to airports then why not use one that is actually in the city of Toronto and not Mississauga?

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

Quote:
Lester Pearson Airport is not that far from downtown Toronto, yet much colder cause it doesn't include a heat island as much as downtown Toronto.
The UHI in Mississauga is just as bad as downtown Toronto- the colder temps are because of its higher elevation and proximity to lake Ontario more than anything.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrc...ges/act5_3.jpg

Old 04-13-2013, 03:25 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
Honolulu doesn't get enough variation or storms for my liking so I went with Toronto. My ideal climate is something like Niigata with more sunshine.

Posting Pearson's climate and claiming it properly represents Toronto is just as biased as posting a downtown station. It makes more sense to look at as many stations as you can in such a large city.

If you only compare airports to airports then why not use one that is actually in the city of Toronto and not Mississauga?

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

The UHI in Mississauga is just as bad as downtown Toronto- the colder temps are because of its higher elevation and proximity to lake Ontario more than anything.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrc...ges/act5_3.jpg

Regardless, Toronto is much colder than Philly in winter. January and Feb avg high doesn't even crack freezing. Totally diff winter there compared to here. The only compensating factor I noticed was how high the heat was on in every establishment I went in. People were wearing t-shirts inside in the middle of winter.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:26 PM

477 posts, read 802,926 times
Quote:
Regardless, Toronto is much colder than Philly in winter. January and Feb avg high doesn't even crack freezing. Totally diff winter there compared to here. The only compensating factor I noticed was how high the heat was on in every establishment I went in. People were wearing t-shirts inside in the middle of winter.
Toronto is significantly colder than Philly in winter (actually anytime of the year) but
I think it's a bit much when a poster from mid-atlantic USA states that he/she is "unable" to handle a Toronto winter, I mean come on, if you live in Miami maybe but living in Philly or NYC

During a "normal" Philly or NYC winter you ARE going to experience some "colder" than normal
temp days that will be very Toronto-like and guess what, you usually survive it

Out of 365 days in the year, Toronto might have 10 days at most that are colder
than what you've ever experienced in Philly or NYC. Most Toronto winter days won't be a shock to you.

And those 10 days ain't gonna kill ya Just stay indoors in those overheated T.O. buildings

....I almost forgot, I choose Toronto, I'm not a tropical climate fan, to visit yes, to live in no.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Toronto is certainly colder than NYC and Philadelphia, but the difference isn't that drastic. I think anyone from this area of the US would be able to handle a Toronto winter. It's not like you'd be moving to Siberia.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post
Toronto is significantly colder than Philly in winter (actually anytime of the year) but
I think it's a bit much when a poster from mid-atlantic USA states that he/she is "unable" to handle a Toronto winter, I mean come on, if you live in Miami maybe but living in Philly or NYC

During a "normal" Philly or NYC winter you ARE going to experience some "colder" than normal

than what you've ever experienced in Philly or NYC. Most Toronto winter days won't be a shock to you.

And those 10 days ain't gonna kill ya Just stay indoors in those overheated T.O. buildings

....I almost forgot, I choose Toronto, I'm not a tropical climate fan, to visit yes, to live in no.
Why is that? I never said I found NYC winters comfortable, I don't, unless they're along the lines of winter 2011-12. I've never been to Toronto, but NYC can have it's Toronto-like days, and they're not something that I enjoy. I'd choose Honolulu over NYC as well lol, although I would miss NYC's weather (minus the winter temperatures), Honolulu doesn't see snow, and strong thunderstorms are probably a rarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Toronto is certainly colder than NYC and Philadelphia, but the difference isn't that drastic. I think anyone from this area of the US would be able to handle a Toronto winter. It's not like you'd be moving to Siberia.
I think it depends on the person. Someone who has a tough time handling summers in NYC [warmest month averages 77.5°F (85°/70°)], probably wouldn't enjoy living in Austin, TX, which averages 86°F (97°/75°) during its warmest month, they'd be contending with a similar adjustment as someone from NYC experiencing winter in Toronto, not everyone could it.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM

477 posts, read 802,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Why is that? I never said I found NYC winters comfortable, I don't, unless they're along the lines of winter 2011-12. I've never been to Toronto, but NYC can have it's Toronto-like days, and they're not something that I enjoy. I'd choose Honolulu over NYC as well lol, although I would miss NYC's weather (minus the winter temperatures), Honolulu doesn't see snow, and strong thunderstorms are probably a rarity.

I think it depends on the person. Someone who has a tough time handling summers in NYC [warmest month averages 77.5°F (85°/70°)], probably wouldn't enjoy living in Austin, TX, which averages 86°F (97°/75°) during its warmest month, they'd be contending with a similar adjustment as someone from NYC experiencing winter in Toronto, not everyone could it.
Oh well, I give up

I guess it does depend on the person.
IMO most NYers could handle Toronto's winters but you're probably right
some, maybe a lot, won't like them, don't know.

You're also right, some people wouldn't like Austin,TX summers, me included,
even Toronto gets a few Texas-like summer days. I endure them, can't say I like them

Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

Fair point, but I think a NYC winter has more common with a Toronto winter than a NYC summer has with an Austin summer.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post

I just happen to live in Miami and the prospect of seeing snow let alone 50 inches is not something I would be looking forward too especially sense it snows from November all the way to April. now as for Honolulu I find it depressingly dry but much better than anywhere in Canada.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Honolulu of course! I hate cold weather, and Honolulu has the best weather in the world! It is WARM year-round, never really hot! Plus, the trade winds make the humidity nice, but not too muggy (like mugginess of somewhere such as Jacksonville). The only complaint I have for Honolulu's weather is that thunderstorms are rare, but the rain is still warm regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather