Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
You can't really go by the plants the way Joe90 describes it since most plants cross zone boundaries. There isn't one zone that exclusively has one set of plants and then right across the line the plants are a totally different set. Nature doesn't work like that. If you try to find a subtropical plant, i.e. a plant whose range corresponds neatly to the subtropical zone, it would be very difficult. It would likewise be difficult to find a "continental plant" or "oceanic plant". Plants and trees routinely cross climate zones of all shapes and sizes, and geography is just as important as climate when it comes to the native range. Just look at the difference between Britain's oceanic climate and New Zealand's oceanic climate.
That's quite true if you use Koppen's definition of subtropical -there was no consideration given to plants at all. Nature does actually work like that. It's the naming of climates, that is out of whack.

Using your argument, there are no oceanic plants, no subtropical plants, no desert plants - just plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:05 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,390 times
Most oceanic climates have few indigenous tropical plants (New Zealand and Australia are both an exception)

Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Australia and NZ can also grow more subtropical plants (if there is such a thing ) from other regions than other Oceanic climates, as they are more...... subtropical.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That's quite true if you use Koppen's definition of subtropical -there was no consideration given to plants at all. Nature does actually work like that. It's the naming of climates, that is out of whack.

Using your argument, there are no oceanic plants, no subtropical plants, no desert plants - just plants.
I think he has a point, actually. If you look the distribution of the most common tree species found in eastern US such as most oaks, maples, beeches - they are quite common along a huge area. Their distribution extends all the way north to southern or even central Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and as far south as the Gulf Coast/Northern Florida. That doesn't mean everything from Tallahassee to Quebec City should be lumped into the same climate group.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Maybe individual species, though I doubt you'd find the same oak species in southern Canada compared to the deep south. The general forest type, however, changes with the climate.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe individual species, though I doubt you'd find the same oak species in southern Canada compared to the deep south. The general forest type, however, changes with the climate.
I'm looking at this page here: Northeastern coastal forests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and just clicking at the most common oak forest species. The Red Oak, Red Maple and the American Elm especially have huge distribution ranges. Other species like the White Oak and Sugar Maples have somewhat more limited ranges but still quite large. Of course you can pick individual species but then it might be questionable how representative those species really are.

Another big problem that I see in relying on vegetation too much is that climate is far from the only factor in determining what can grow where. Soil types, terrain, presence of pests and diseases, competition from invasive species etc all play a role.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:03 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
I think Joe has a point also. Vegetation reflects how mild winter is in a particular area to a point. I doubt very much you would see a scene like this in upstate PA, NY or New England at the very end of December. I took the two photos shown below today as I was on business in Cape May Courthouse, NJ.

Cape May and upstate PA are in different climatic zones according to Koppen. However, Koppen has Cape May and Charleston, SC in the same climate zone.

I found a travel blog where the person took a trip to Charleston right around Valentines Day, mid February: My Charleston Favorites | Apples & Onions

Here are a couple of pics that were posted on that blog:

That is the depth of winter in Charleston, and to me it looks very different from Cape May, NJ in the middle of winter. So, it looks like Koppen got that wrong.

Trewartha put Charleston, SC and Cape May, NJ in different zones, but he also lumped Cape May in with Minnesota and North Dakota. And to my mind Minnesota and Cape May, NJ are pretty different climates.

Climatic zones are way too broad to get a real feel for a climate. Vegetation might be better.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I think he has a point, actually. If you look the distribution of the most common tree species found in eastern US such as most oaks, maples, beeches - they are quite common along a huge area. Their distribution extends all the way north to southern or even central Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and as far south as the Gulf Coast/Northern Florida. That doesn't mean everything from Tallahassee to Quebec City should be lumped into the same climate group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I'm looking at this page here: Northeastern coastal forests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and just clicking at the most common oak forest species. The Red Oak, Red Maple and the American Elm especially have huge distribution ranges. Other species like the White Oak and Sugar Maples have somewhat more limited ranges but still quite large. Of course you can pick individual species but then it might be questionable how representative those species really are.

Another big problem that I see in relying on vegetation too much is that climate is far from the only factor in determining what can grow where. Soil types, terrain, presence of pests and diseases, competition from invasive species etc all play a role.
That was pretty much my point. General forest type does change with the climate zones, but one species or one group of plants won't give you much of an indication at all.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Looks very warm over there in the cape tbh.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Koppen has Taipei and Raleigh in the same cfa climate. That seems very weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather