Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,187,254 times

Advertisements

Tried to give you snow fans a real winter... the remainder of the year is warm and sunny during the day but rather cool at night for sleeping.

Jan 15 27 3.0 20
Feb 17 31 3.0 20
Mar 29 47 2.0 2
Apr 39 68 1.5
May 46 77 1.5
Jun 54 83 1.5
Jul 61 88 1.5
Aug 61 87 2.0
Sep 49 79 1.0
Oct 43 73 1.0
Nov 33 63 1.0
Dec 21 34 3.0 12

Total Precip 22"
Total Snow: 54"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:38 PM

I don't even know if I like this one myself, in retrospect. I might have made fall nights too cold and summer afternoons too hot. Might need to make some adjustments on this.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,646,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I don't even know if I like this one myself, in retrospect. I might have made fall nights too cold and summer afternoons too hot. Might need to make some adjustments on this.
Your night temperatures are almost identical to mine. Your climate's afternoons are hotter than mine except for winter, which are a quite a colder.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:15 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,018,619 times
This figures up to a D grade for me. I appreciate the effort, but I don't like it. You did succeed in creating a climate with a real winter, and I may add it also sports a real summer. The averages in winter are quite a bit warmer than I like (34F in December? ), and the snowfall, while good, has a lot of room for improvement. The summers are awful. The highs are terrible and those lows are above 60F, which is not a figure that suggests sleepable nights.

I would advise you to make some adjustments, but don't chase a A or B grade from me, because if it has a hot summer that depresses my grade greatly. There is hope for improvement to a C. Here are the adjustments I'd like you to make:

1. Summer lows should be deep into the 50's so they are actually sleepable

2. There shouldn't be so much seasonal lag. 63F in November and 47F in March is very uneven, and I think it would be more satisfying if they were reversed into a seasonal lead. A faster onset of Spring and a faster onset of Fall would satisfy hot and cold weather fans. Also don't make your Decembers so warm. December should be the coldest month along with January; make February your warm month if you must. This also brings a better chance of a White Christmas.

3. It wouldn't hurt to have more snow in winter. 100 inches sounds really good, and you could concentrate it in the winter months themselves. Perhaps a snow pattern like the lake effect areas could be used. But cut it off abruptly when Spring starts to satisfy the warmth fans. November can have a little bit as part of our advanced fall program . Snow being really big but confined to the winter months may be a plus for warmth fans, who often complain about early and late season snow (though these people may prefer to have no snow, we have to make compromises, right?).

These suggestions would improve this climate, and you can still have your hot summer afternoons, as well as warm springs. The first half or so of autumn can also be warm. Take some cues from Kazakhstan (seasonality), the U.P. of Michigan (snow pattern), Fairbanks (for a seasonal lead prototype) and Yellowstone (if you want chilly nights, there's some for you!).

Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,646,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
There shouldn't be so much seasonal lag. 63F in November and 47F in March is very uneven, and I think it would be more satisfying if they were reversed into a seasonal lead. A faster onset of Spring and a faster onset of Fall would satisfy hot and cold weather fans. Also don't make your Decembers so warm. December should be the coldest month along with January; make February your warm month if you must. This also brings a better chance of a White Christmas.
Any reason why a seasonal lead would be more satisfying than a seasonal lead. In my mind, they should be about the same; as you're getting the same temperatures just at different times of year.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 PM

I actually like the seasonal lead idea. By the end of a hot summer, most people are ready for a refreshing autumn. Likewise, by March, most people have spring fever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather