Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,079,511 times

Advertisements

Christchurch is still covered with snow. It's -5 C / 23 F here now.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,382,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Not very unusual for Dunedin at all. Much more severe events have happened there in the past.
Didn't know that, I thought this snow in south Island was a bit unsual. What is the limit for snow on south Island? How about Wellington?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,616,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Didn't know that, I thought this snow in south Island was a bit unsual. What is the limit for snow on south Island? How about Wellington?
Occasionally the higher hill suburbs have had settling snow in Wellington - but the last decent event for them was in 1995. I'm not aware of it ever having settled in the CBD, near sea level.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,463,305 times
A couple of photos of snow here in Invercargill, got at least 8cm at my place (measured yesterday afternoon), still got a snow covered lawn now, last snow was very early yesterday morning.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,746,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
A couple of photos of snow here in Invercargill, got at least 8cm at my place (measured yesterday afternoon), still got a snow covered lawn now, last snow was very early yesterday morning.

Cool pics! I'm curious to know what was the lowest temp you recorded in Invercargill during this cold snap? Weather Underground says Invercargill's min temperature was only -1C... I guess the snow will probably be melting quickly then.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,463,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Cool pics! I'm curious to know what was the lowest temp you recorded in Invercargill during this cold snap? Weather Underground says Invercargill's min temperature was only -1C... I guess the snow will probably be melting quickly then.
I know my weather station records show that we didn't drop below -1c, got up to around 10c today, the snow in the city itself is gone, my lawn is still covered in most places due to the shade.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 AM

We still have plenty of snow in Christchurch. It was sunny and 7 C earlier so a lot of it melted, but then it clouded over and got colder. It's now gone up to 8 C at 8 PM due to a Nor'wester. The snow will probably be gone by tomorrow afternoon (high of 13 C forecast).

It was -5 C this morning but on the night of the initial snowfall the low was only -1 C.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,756,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Congrats, Joe90! Enjoy it while it lasts! Here we have 21 C (68 F) and overcast, with what seems to be an approaching storm (possibly with hail), which hopefully will put things in place (meaning, will return the cold I'd like to be there now, Joe90, to enjoy the snow.
Thanks. I did enjoy it. I even took a couple of days off work to make the most of it. It is strange seeing snow in places that never see it. Had some cold temps also, with here ( my house ) getting -3C/26F, town got down to -5C/22F and some areas close by getting down to -8C/19F.
Days have still felt pleasantly warm. 21C sounds nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Someone posted a few weeks ago that while several locations in the southern Hemisphere (Australia, South America) had record cold so far this winter…New Zealand had largely escaped any unusual weather (meaning temps/rainfall were close to normal).

This puzzled me, because one look at the pattern, and the colder than normal conditions should have had some imprint on normal weather across the New Zealand. I’ve been following this pattern and the record cold conditions across the southern Hemisphere since June 1st. It’s strange, but the cold anomalies seemed to appear first in the warmest parts of the southern Hemisphere: Back in May/June, Darwin had some of its coldest weather (in terms of monthly mean temps) in 50 years…then Rio had some records broken…then Porto Alegre….then the anomalous cold moved up into southern Australia (cold/freezes near Sydney, etc). Now, (perhaps), that mid winter is here, and the pattern is (or should be) as deep as it gets, you’ll see more records broken at the higher latitudes of the southern Hemisphere (above 40 S). This is just a guess, of course.

My region (Middle Atlantic USA) has also had records broken in the last several days …only in the opposite direction. It hit 103 F (39 C) here with dew points in the mid 70’s (heat index 110 -115 F). Odd things seem to be happening here too (pavement buckling in heat, whole lakes evaporated, lake beds as hard and dry as cement, dead farm animals in stalls, …etc). I saw them hosing down a steel bridge in Wilmington, Delaware on Friday – because the steel was flexing in the heat.

Perhaps something bigger is going on in the global climate picture.
NZ has been unusually warm during late autumn/ early winter. The rest of winter (so far) seems to be close to average, despite this cold spell. I do wonder if things are changing though. I've heard plenty of people voice that opinion lately. If we ever have to hose down steel bridges here during summer, then I will definitely know that things have changed.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 AM

Christchurch still has plenty of snow (well, a mixture of slush and ice). Yesterday's low of -6.3 C is barely higher than the record of -7.1 C. But today saw a high of 16 C and 7 hrs of sunshine. I thought that would be enough to melt all the ice, but it's still abundant.

Aerial photos of the snowfall: Christchurch snow from the air - snow - travel | Stuff.co.nz

Old 07-28-2011, 02:53 PM

83,602 posts, read 75,618,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Christchurch still has plenty of snow (well, a mixture of slush and ice). Yesterday's low of -6.3 C is barely higher than the record of -7.1 C. But today saw a high of 16 C and 7 hrs of sunshine. I thought that would be enough to melt all the ice, but it's still abundant.

Aerial photos of the snowfall: Christchurch snow from the air - snow - travel | Stuff.co.nz
That is awesome. Brownie points for you. :-) I also noticed these observations.

* Wind chill temperatures plummeted to -9 Celsius, -6C in Dunedina, -5C in Wellington and -2C in Taupo. New Zealand has not had a nationwide cold snap of this severity in 16 years

* WeatherWatch analyst Mr Duncan said, "This isn't the snow storm of the century ... but what makes this system different ... is the low snow level, which is sea level across much of southern and eastern South Island and to very low levels right across the lower North Island. This is a national event"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.