Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate it?
A 2 28.57%
B 1 14.29%
C 1 14.29%
D 1 14.29%
F 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:39 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times

Advertisements

Kautokeino is a town in Lapland, northern Norway about 100 miles inland.

Avg high / Avg low // Record high / Record low // Precipitation (°F and inches)

Jan: 15 / -5 // 44 / -59 // 0.63
Feb: 13 / -7 // 45 / -56 // 0.54
Mar: 22 / 2 // 46 / -41 // 0.41
Apr: 33 / 15 // 57 / -29 // 0.53
May: 44 / 30 // 79 / -3 // 1.07
Jun: 57 / 41 // 86 / 26 // 1.98
Jul: 64 / 47 // 83 / 29 // 2.81
Aug: 59 / 43 // 83 / 21 // 2.46
Sep: 49 / 35 // 73 / 10 // 1.50
Oct: 35 / 24 // 56 / -22 // 1.19
Nov: 24 / 10 // 46 / -41 // 0.76
Dec: 16 / -2 // 45 / -44 // 0.65

I'm curious to see how it fares compared to the more maritime Trondheim (even if it's further north).

Old 06-18-2011, 03:45 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times
A++, this one so far beats all of my listed ideal cities. Beautiful weather year round, no wonder why Norway is one of the world's richest country.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
A++, this one so far beats all of my listed ideal cities. Beautiful weather year round, no wonder why Norway is one of the world's richest country.
Nice try but Singapore and Taiwan are both some of the world's richest countries too and both of those countries have a tropical climate.

And don't forget wealthy cities such as Hong Kong, and Bangkok which are some of the wealthiest cities in the world that have a mostly tropical climate.

There are plenty of wealthy cities, countries, and parts of country that get extended warm/hot temperatures!

I give the weather climate in Kautokino, Norway a solid F-.
9 months of consistent winters from September to May, and then three months where it is more like spring/fall instead of an actual summer.
Precipitation way too low. I bet the annual sunshine is very low despite the low precipitation.
I think it is a similar case for Tromso which is another place the OP mentioned. Tromso also gets an F- from me.

I think the area of Norway that would receive the best grade is Oslo and Bergen but that is still a C-.

Last edited by ; 06-18-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Nice try but Singapore and Taiwan are both some of the world's richest countries too and both of those countries have a tropical climate.

And don't forget wealthy cities such as Hong Kong, and Bangkok which are some of the wealthiest cities in the world that have a mostly tropical climate.

There are plenty of wealthy cities, countries, and parts of country that get extended warm/hot temperatures!
bad example. Singapore and hong kong are small cities. While singapore chooses to call itself a country, hong kong is not a country like what you stated. Both of these places do better than the rest of southeast asia due to the early established free market economy, a legacy of European colonialism. Southeast asian countries that were not extensively colonized by europeans, like Burma, Indonesia, and cambodia are rather economically impoverished. There was European influence in those places, but not to the extent of them taking over the whole country politically.And if you seriously call bangkok one of the wealthiest city in the world, have you ever been to bangkok, obviously not the rural part for sure. looking the skyline alone sometimes gives misguided indication of wealth. Nobody knows better about southeast asia than me. i got family living there so....

Old 06-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
bad example. Singapore and hong kong are small cities. While singapore chooses to call itself a country, hong kong is not a country like what you stated. Both of these places do better than the rest of southeast asia due to the early established free market economy, a legacy of European colonialism. Southeast asian countries that were not extensively colonized by europeans, like Burma, Indonesia, and cambodia are rather economically impoverished. There was European influence in those places, but not to the extent of them taking over the whole country politically.And if you seriously call bangkok one of the wealthiest city in the world, have you ever been to bangkok. looking the skyline alone sometimes gives misguided indication of wealth. Nobody knows better about southeast asia than me. i got family living there so....
LOL Nice try again.

Singapore has 5 million people and Hong Kong has 8 million people.
They objectively both are big cities.

No. I never said Hong Kong was its own country. In that section, I was mentioning wealthy cities instead of wealthy countries.

All of those places I mentioned are some of the most wealthiest places in the world, just like Norway.

I was mentioning how plenty of tropical places can be wealthy just like plenty of places that get colder weather.

And yes, this particular place in Norway(Kautokino) gets an F- for me for weather climate. Even Oslo and Bergen in Norway only get a C- for me for weather and that place gets the best weather in Norway.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:22 PM

148 posts, read 323,440 times
I'm giving this a D, even though it's hellish, it's not as bad as that place in Russia someone posted the other day.

As for wealth and heat, why is Qatar the richest nation per-capita? It's not really cold there..

Old 06-18-2011, 05:28 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerOfFate View Post
I'm giving this a D, even though it's hellish, it's not as bad as that place in Russia someone posted the other day.

As for wealth and heat, why is Qatar the richest nation per-capita? It's not really cold there..
Oil wealth.. same as many other of the small gulf states.

In any case, I gave Kautokeino an "F" for sure.. what a disgusting climate

Old 06-18-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
LOL Nice try again.

Singapore has 5 million people and Hong Kong has 8 million people.
They objectively both are big cities.
I was mentioning how plenty of tropical places can be wealthy just like plenty of places that get colder weather.
nice try, Hong Kong has 7.097 million people. If I ask you to choose either Norway or singapore to move to right now, I'm pretty sure you will choose the former. There are people from southern China and Hong Kong, who are willing to go through hell to immigrate to a Scandanavian country. you cannot disregard the pain and suffering millions of chinese went through while you make the general assumption that everyone is rich and content in hong kong. It takes a lot more than skyscrapers and cheesy lightning shows to bring people happiniess, you know.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:58 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
Not sure why he would choose Norway over Singapore. He's said in previous posts that he likes hot weather.

I'll rate this as B+. Gets a bit too cold in the winter for me, and -59°F as the record low? I can feel my glasses cracking and sticking to my face already!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
nice try, Hong Kong has 7.097 million people. If I ask you to choose either Norway or singapore to move to right now, I'm pretty sure you will choose the former. There are people from southern China and Hong Kong, who are willing to go through hell to immigrate to a Scandanavian country. you cannot disregard the pain and suffering millions of chinese went through while you make the general assumption that everyone is rich and content in hong kong. It takes a lot more than skyscrapers and cheesy lightning shows to bring people happiniess, you know.
Not sure that there are many people migrating out of Hong Kong these days and most of those are have a lot of money anyway and go back and forth between several locations. I know that many Hong Kong Chinese in Vancouver are in this situation.

According to CIA World Factbook, the net migration rate is 4.06/1000 people.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/hk.html

Even if we include mainland China, they are nowhere near the top country of immigrants that arrive in Norway and have a relatively small number (7,895):

Immigration to Norway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hardly think Chinese are clamouring to get to Norway or other Scandinavian countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.