Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times

Advertisements

We have been running below average here for quite a while now. We should be hitting mid to high 50s right now, but instead struggle to make it to 50 or when we do don't get much past it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
There is a saying here ( mainly from people down south), that the further south you go, the friendlier people are. There could be some truth to that, although I never thought to attribute that to the not so nice climate.
I've heard the same said. I haven't been to the North Island since I was a baby (lived there for about 6 months as an infant) but when I went to the South Island in 2002 I found the people really friendlier, moreso than the average Aussie. I went to both cities (Chch, Dunedin) and small towns like Alexandra.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
To all those in Oregon / Washington / British Columbia is there any sign the cool and wet weather pattern might change to a drier, warmer ?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:55 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
Usually the pattern won't change until the very beginning of July. There's an old saying that summer doesn't begin until the Monday after 4th of July weekend, haha... This is alarmingly accurate in my experience, and spring is a sometimes beautiful, but frustrating time to live in the northwest. The compensation is that summer and fall seem to linger late as well, with no sticking snowfall in the high country often til late October.

Still, there should be enough scattered nice days in May and June to slowly melt the mountain snowpack, so things will be just about ready to go when the weather gets consistently nice in July.

Of course, that's just the average. I remember trying to hike in the summer of 1999. I visited the Mt. Baker ski area in early September, and the place never did melt out that year due to very heavy snowpack and a cloudy summer.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Agreed... looks like the cool and wet weather is in the for the long haul. I'm not even sure we're going to get a proper summer this year. By all indications, it looks like this year is going to be a dud as far as summer weather goes. Tonight there is a heavy rainfall warning for Vancouver and the long range forecast right now only gets as warm as the low 60s.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Agreed... looks like the cool and wet weather is in the for the long haul. I'm not even sure we're going to get a proper summer this year. By all indications, it looks like this year is going to be a dud as far as summer weather goes. Tonight there is a heavy rainfall warning for Vancouver and the long range forecast right now only gets as warm as the low 60s.
Looks like you may be in for a "Buxton Summer". Our weather forecast is also kak for the forseeable future. Highs of around 10°C / 50°F forecast every day.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Environment Canada predicts warm, dry summer (http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Environment+Canada+predicts+warm+summer/4732089/story.html - broken link)

It's supposed to be warmer and drier in summer across the country this year on average, Environment Canada says, though who knows how accurate such a broad prediction will be this early.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Environment Canada predicts warm, dry summer (http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Environment+Canada+predicts+warm+summer/4732089/story.html - broken link)

It's supposed to be warmer and drier in summer across the country this year on average, Environment Canada says, though who knows how accurate such a broad prediction will be this early.

Yeah for sure... I hope it's a warm summer but all indications this way say otherwise... of course things could change. We're still getting weather that is normal for February or March here.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Looks like Below Average to continue for the PNW...no clue how accurate these things are

Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
I heard that we are supposed to have a below average May, an average June and July, with an above average August and September as far as temperatures go. Although previously I heard that the entire summer was supposed to be above average. Supposed to be drier than average too. We'll see.

Today was beautiful here in the Seattle area. Got into the 60s today. I had the AC on while driving home from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather