Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM

863 posts, read 2,081,487 times

Advertisements

I was heavy into backpacking and mountaineering in WA for years before moving north. Most years, I'd quit packing my ice axe for trips to the high country (>5000 ft) around mid-July. Snowmelt varies greatly from place to place and year to year though. Just be flexible when you get to town. The high country just east of the Cascade crest is well known for melting earlier than areas to the west. So if you get here and find snow where you want to hike, head over to the Teanaway River area near Cle Elum and Leavenworth, the mountains north of Lake Chelan, or the Pasayten Wilderness near Winthrop.

Also, in summer, Western Washington frequently gets a layer of low marine clouds that only extend up to 3, 4, or 5000 feet, so hikes in the high country are under sunny skies. Keep that in mind on a gray day in Seattle.

If you'd like recommendations for favorite hikes, PM me with what sort of outings you're looking for (dayhike? backpack? you in good shape?).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,590,278 times
Those of you in the PNW might like this cartoon:

The 4 Seasons of Seattle Weather - The Oatmeal

Old 04-01-2011, 01:52 PM

497 posts, read 1,089,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Funny cartoon. It was a bit like that when I was there.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,734,671 times
Quote:

Love it!! Haha

Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,377,887 times
Quote:

You might also find this interesting:

The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease

There is some debate as to if climate plays a role in social interaction in Seattle. Years ago I read that many high latitude/cloudy marine climates seem to have a higher number of people that suffer from social/mood disorders due to the lack of sunshine ( Vitamin D). Who knows how true that is though.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
You might also find this interesting:

The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease

There is some debate as to if climate plays a role in social interaction in Seattle. Years ago I read that many high latitude/cloudy marine climates seem to have a higher number of people that suffer from social/mood disorders due to the lack of sunshine ( Vitamin D). Who knows how true that is though.
Fun article. Sounds like it's more than just climate (described London as less unfriendly).

I wonder if Portland, OR and Vancouver, BC have a similar culture?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,734,671 times
Quote:
Fun article. Sounds like it's more than just climate (described London as less unfriendly).

I wonder if Portland, OR and Vancouver, BC have a similar culture?
Yes, I would say people here are sometimes overly polite (letting you merge in traffic, cars stopping for jaywalkers etc.). Although I think it sounds like it's a bit easier here to breakthrough to people than what is written in that article. I wouldn't say we are the friendliest city by any means but it's certainly not that bad at least from my perspective.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 PM

497 posts, read 1,089,668 times
There is a saying here ( mainly from people down south), that the further south you go, the friendlier people are. There could be some truth to that, although I never thought to attribute that to the not so nice climate.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:10 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,672,852 times
^^ And the same in this country only in reverse: people up north are said to be friendlier and easier to talk to than in the south, certainly true in my experience, but that's probably more to do with going from a small village to a big anonymous city than anything to do with latitude/climate.

By far the most reserved people I've ever seen are Scandinavians (I've been to Norway and Finland). I went to an alcohol-free dinner party in Norway once and half the people there hardly said a word, even though they knew each other. On a long-distance train over there I found somebody from Greece sitting in my designated seat; he said he often sat in somebody else's seat as a way to break the ice in conversation when they came, because he couldn't cope with the idea of an eight-hour train ride in complete silence.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 AM

Looks like the snow isn't going to clear out of the mountains anytime soon:

Snow removal to begin on North Cascades Highway - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

Quote: It's expected to be the latest reopening in 20 years; the Washington State Department of Transportation will begin clearing the North Cascades Highway on Monday.

I've checked the weather forecast for Seattle, it seems constantly cool and wet. I though Seattle would be as warm as Western MA in April with a decent amount of sunny days. Hope this trend ends so snow will melt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather