Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,848,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
For Toronto,

Average max temp. -0.8C (normal is 0.9C)
Average min temp. -6.7C (normal is -6.7C)
Mean temp. -3.8C (normal is -2.9C)

Highest max. 10.0C
Lowest min. -13.9C

Lowest max. -8.3C
Highest min. 3.7C

Total snow. 7.0 cm (normal is 29.2 cm)
Total precipitation. 36.8mm (normal is 60.9 mm)

Pretty normal temperature-wise this month, a lot less snow/precipitation than normal (normal being data from 1971-2000).
The lowest max confuses me...
coulda sworn we had a -11 C day.
Lowest min maybe closer to -15 C

Downtown perhaps?

My estimates on sunshine:

Predominantly sunny days 6+ hrs of sun: 2-3
Partly Cloudy days, 4-6 hrs of sun: 2-3
Mostly Cloudy days, 1.5-4 hrs of sun: 5-10 days
Sunless days, less than 1 hr: 15+

Basically about 25 days felt drab/dismal overall,
if you wanted to pay attention to the sky conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,029,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Downtown perhaps?

I just took the information off Environment Canada for the airport and looked for the lowest high and highest low.

Too bad it doesn't collect sunshine averages (or at least display them) so that we could get an "intuitive" feel to compare, especially to other cities.

I think Pearson airport should be a good stand-in for most of the municipalities of Toronto outside downtown, though I'm sure there could be microclimates like frost pockets.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM

497 posts, read 1,090,502 times
Quote:

Downtown perhaps?

how does the months sunshine compare to the average?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
how does the months sunshine compare to the average?
Probably average sunshine; an abysmal 25-27% avg chance of sun for December?

In Canada,
you sometimes here places like California, Hawaii, Caribbean Mexico and Florida called "Sunshine Destinations."
No doubt most of their popularity is relative-warmth or heat,
but it seems to imply many Canadians don't associate sun without warmth, or sun with cold.

Even our driest, sunniest climates still average less than 50% chance of sun in their cloudiest months; coincidentally always in winter.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,029,068 times
Quote:
No doubt most of their popularity is relative-warmth or heat,
but it seems to imply many Canadians don't associate sun without warmth, or sun with cold.
That would be odd thinking about it, as those crisp (an understatement), clear days must be quite prominent in the daily winter life, not least in places like Edmonton or Winnipeg. Maybe say, for Vancouverites, warmth and sunshine is more justifiably connected, as the contrast between the gloomy cool and warm dry season would figure in the mind more.

That said, I heard have people here in Toronto, after they realized they seemed to have underdressed, mainly in spring or fall rather than winter though, say something like "... but it looked so sunny out, didn't realize it'd be that cold".

Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 PM

497 posts, read 1,090,502 times
As a child I always imagined Canadian children sledding and having snowball fights with a bright, blue sky above, it must have been one of those mental images that gets stuck in ones' head , much in the same way as the "Trailer Park Boys" have formed my image of a Canadian summer (looks good).
I've experienced Vancouver in winter, which quickly ended any illusions I had. The sunny days were stunning though.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,356,163 times
In the city only three days exceeded 30C/86F during the month, highest being 31.3oC/88.3F on the 26th and airport (4 days) on the 9th with 32.8C/91F.

Rainfall varied with higher than average falls around the basin but lower in the city with 83.8mm/3.27in. falling, my area had more than the average with 121.8mm/4.79in falling and airport 105.6mm/4.15inches.

Brisbane City had 479.8mm/18.8in and airport 453.0mm/17.83in - quite a remarkable feat, from memory, would probably be the wettest December on record at "newer" sites and for some dating back to the 1840s, second-wettest.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,149,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
As a child I always imagined Canadian children sledding and having snowball fights with a bright, blue sky above, it must have been one of those mental images that gets stuck in ones' head , much in the same way as the "Trailer Park Boys" have formed my image of a Canadian summer (looks good).
I've experienced Vancouver in winter, which quickly ended any illusions I had. The sunny days were stunning though.
Though Vancouver winters are certainly atypical for a Canadian city.

Unless you were in Vancouver during an unusually cold spell, it was likely greyer, milder and rainier than typical Canadian winter weather.

Though the temperatures vary from place to place, in most of our cities a typical Canadian winter alternates between cold, bright (often windy) sunny days between -8 C and -20 C, followed by cloud-covered warm-ups to between -5 C and 0 C, usually bringing at least some snow (intensity varying from very light flurries to heavy dumps, then back to colder, sunnier days, then back up again a few days later with more clouds and snow. Once in a blue moon (more frequent in some winters, rarer in others) the temperature goes a few degrees above freezing, bringing either freezing rain or rain.

It is the usual alternance between high and low pressure systems. In winter high pressure generally brings sun and cold temperatures. Low pressure brings warmer temperatures along with clouds and precipitation.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 AM

175 posts, read 324,641 times
Quote:

Downtown perhaps?
It was one of those weird days. The daily high actually happened at the beginning of the day (about -8 °C), and the temperature started dropping to around -13 °C in the morning, and only went up to around -11 °C throughout the rest of the day. So even though the high was -8 °C, it was indeed around -11 °C/-12 °C in the middle of the day.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc....onth=12&Day=13

Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
It was one of those weird days. The daily high actually happened at the beginning of the day (about -8 °C), and the temperature started dropping to around -13 °C in the morning, and only went up to around -11 °C throughout the rest of the day. So even though the high was -8 °C, it was indeed around -11 °C/-12 °C in the middle of the day.

Hourly Observation Data | Canada's National Climate Archive
thanks for the link

Thought it was worth correcting, as to most people it would have seemed -11 C at warmest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather