Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:41 PM

437 posts, read 1,300,874 times

Advertisements

Midway Island, 28N, record low of 54F. Warmer then Key West, 23N, record low of 41F.
Corpus Christi, Texas is the same latitude with a record low of 12F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 02:19 PM

650 posts, read 1,328,346 times
JFK's (40 N) record low is only -3°F which is kinda "warm"...well surprisingly high.

However a lot of weather sites have grouped all of NYC's records together for whatever reason so not all of them say negative three.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,467,018 times
I have a question. It is common knowledge (well, among weather geeks) that the Siberian High makes winters in East Asia very very cold (given a location's latitude). The Siberian High is usually positioned over Mongolia or Eastern Siberia.

In North America, there is an analogous, though much weaker anticyclone called North American High. But I know much less about it. Where does it usually sit? Does it occur every winter? Does it move around? All I know is that whenever there is a high pressure system over eastern Canada (usually central Quebec), arctic air comes down to Northeastern US and creates really bad cold snaps.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:39 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I have a question. It is common knowledge (well, among weather geeks) that the Siberian High makes winters in East Asia very very cold (given a location's latitude). The Siberian High is usually positioned over Mongolia or Eastern Siberia.

In North America, there is an analogous, though much weaker anticyclone called North American High. But I know much less about it. Where does it usually sit? Does it occur every winter? Does it move around? All I know is that whenever there is a high pressure system over eastern Canada (usually central Quebec), arctic air comes down to Northeastern US and creates really bad cold snaps.
From what I understand, I think the North American high generally settles in between 55-65N latitude in the Northwest Territories/Northern Saskatchewan and Manitoba and moves east and south and sometimes west during cold snaps during the winter. I think it occurs more or less every winter but its strength is variable from year to year.

Last edited by deneb78; 09-18-2010 at 08:53 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,561,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
We all know about the gulf stream and its effect on Florida and Northwest Europe. But what are some other examples of climates that are exceptionally warm (or cool) for their latitude (or altitude) and what are the reasons for these anomalies?

I came across a couple of interesting examples recently. The first is Vladivostok and the surrounding area. Climate data here: Vladivostok Climate Guide, Russia (Far East) | World Climate Guide

Vladivostok has an annual mean of about 4.5 C / 40 F compared to the 10 C / 50 F mean that would be expected at 43 N. This appears to be mainly due to the effect of cold ocean currents.

Wikipedia has an interesting note: "The waters of the Oyashio Current originate in the Arctic Ocean and flow southward via the Bering Sea. The current has an important impact on the climate of the Russian Far East, mainly in Kamchatka and Chukotka, where the northern limit of tree growth is moved up to ten degrees south of the latitude it can reach in inland Siberia."

Vladivostok is nowhere near Chukotka and the Bering Sea/Strait.

Vladivostok's annual mean temperature (and climate) has two controls (like Korea):
1. Tropical moisture from the Pacific in summer.
2. Cold and dry air from Siberia/Asia in winter.

Kamchatka is completely different from Vladivostok or Khabarovsk. Kamchatka has much cooler summers and milder winters. So, the ocean does play a pretty major role on that peninsula. Also, Kamchatka has a pretty even distribution of precipitation over a year. Vladivostok and Khabarovsk are extremely dry in the winter and very wet in the warm summer months.

Eastern Asia has some of the most interesting climates on this planet I'd say...Khabarovsk saw a 95F/78F day last June and a -16F/-32F day last January.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
From what I understand, I think the North American high generally settles in between 55-65N latitude in the Northwest Territories/Northern Saskatchewan and Manitoba and moves east and south and sometimes west during cold snaps during the winter. I think it occurs more or less every winter but its strength is variable from year to year.
Interesting. I'd rather it just stay in the Northwest Territories and not move east and south.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Vladivostok is nowhere near Chukotka and the Bering Sea/Strait.

Vladivostok's annual mean temperature (and climate) has two controls (like Korea):
1. Tropical moisture from the Pacific in summer.
2. Cold and dry air from Siberia/Asia in winter.
But Vladivostok has very low winter SSTs... or is that also a consequence of Siberian air masses?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
We all know about the gulf stream and its effect on Florida and Northwest Europe. But what are some other examples of climates that are exceptionally warm (or cool) for their latitude (or altitude) and what are the reasons for these anomalies?

I came across a couple of interesting examples recently. The first is Vladivostok and the surrounding area. Climate data here: Vladivostok Climate Guide, Russia (Far East) | World Climate Guide

Vladivostok has an annual mean of about 4.5 C / 40 F compared to the 10 C / 50 F mean that would be expected at 43 N. This appears to be mainly due to the effect of cold ocean currents.
Vladivostok is impressively sunny in winter for their latitude, but oddly, very cloudy in summer.
% chance of sun seems lower in summer.

Their winter months are far colder than Toronto's,
but Nov and March avg temps are roughly equal; yet Vlad blows away Toronto for sunshine.

UV maxes also show this seasonal lag in UV maxes; Aug is higher than Jun.
(^^ still have no replies to my recent UV max thread btw. )

Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 AM

It would be hard to parse the relative importance of the Oyashio Current vs the Siberian High. My guess is that Sakhalin Island and Hokkaido shield the Sea of Japan from the full effect of the cold current (just like Newfoundland and the Grand Banks shield Northeast the Labrador current).

Vladivostok is the southernmost port to freeze regularly in the winter.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,577 times
Shanghai in China has a cold climate for 31 degrees from the equator.
Yearly mean is only 13 - 20C.
It has a hot and humid summer, but long and cold winter for a place thats equivalent in latitude to about Perth in WA, or Port Macquarie on the east coast here.
Very continental climatefor a coastal place, which probably stops the winter from heading into true subzero readings.
Shanghai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather