Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:41 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think it would be more interesting and accurate to do the anomalys for the year average not winter, as coastal places will always have warmer winters and cooler summers
Unfortunately , these maps only show July and January. I suppose that would be interesting to see…but I would guess (just a guess) the geographic regions of the extremes would not change much if you looked at them on an annual basis as opposed to the extreme months (coldest/warmest). Onshore west coastal areas will have cooler summers than normal...east coastal areas will have warmer summers than normal (in winter the reverse). The biggest extremes would be on the large middle latitude landmass (much colder than normal in winter/a bit warmer than normal in summer)…and low latitude areas would be the most even. Florida shows close to zero pos/neg for Jan and close to zero pos/neg for July. Although there are isolated areas where this is not the case (North Africa/Middle East in July, southern Australia in January) …it looks like the lower latitudes have pretty low pos/neg isanomlies seasonally or annually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 01:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Unfortunately , these maps only show July and January. I suppose that would be interesting to see…but I would guess (just a guess) the geographic regions of the extremes would not change much if you looked at them on an annual basis as opposed to the extreme months (coldest/warmest). Onshore west coastal areas will have cooler summers than normal...east coastal areas will have warmer summers than normal (in winter the reverse). The biggest extremes would be on the large middle latitude landmass (much colder than normal in winter/a bit warmer than normal in summer)…and low latitude areas would be the most even. Florida shows close to zero pos/neg for Jan and close to zero pos/neg for July. Although there are isolated areas where this is not the case (North Africa/Middle East in July, southern Australia in January) …it looks like the lower latitudes have pretty low pos/neg isanomlies seasonally or annually.
You go far north enough, the east coast has cooler summers than further inland:

For example: at 45N: Halifax, Nova Scotia: 73/58 on the Atlantic
Inland Ottowa, Ontario: 80/60
Minneapolis, Minnesota: 83/63

Further north, the east coast of North America at Newfoundland and Labrabador has much cooler summers than places such as Alberta or British Columbia

Old 09-13-2010, 02:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
I find it strange that Vancouver's "warmth" for its latitude in winter is due to a warm ocean current because the temperature of the Pacific Ocean off the west coast of North America is very cold until you get down to Mexico even in the winter. Anyone who has swum at a California beach can attest to this!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I find it strange that Vancouver's "warmth" for its latitude in winter is due to a warm ocean current because the temperature of the Pacific Ocean off the west coast of North America is very cold until you get down to Mexico even in the winter. Anyone who has swum at a California beach can attest to this!
I posted this before, but this article is very good.

The Source of Europe's Mild Climate » American Scientist

Old 09-13-2010, 03:52 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The way I understand it…it’s not that there is a warm ocean current in the Pacific near the West Coast of North America (there is, in fact, a cool ocean current that comes from Alaska down the West Coast of North America). Rather, it is the air masses that move over the PNW in winter originate over the milder Pacific Ocean…while the air masses that move over eastern Canada at the same latitude originate from the northern interior of Canada (very cold/very dry air masses). When you compare this with the extremes of a leeward-interior locations on a large landmass (Asia)…the results are shocking. Northern Manchuria in northeast Asia (which has the world’s best developed winter monsoon) has mean January temps in the -23 C (-10 F) range…while Seattle or Vancouver close to the same latitude has January means around 2 to 4 C ( 35 to 39 F). A difference of 45 F +! This is an amazing feat when you consider than the average amount of solar radiation received at the surface (on average)only exceeds that emited to space as long wave radiation poleward of around 40 latitude (Beijing/Madrid/NYC).

Last edited by wavehunter007; 09-13-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 03:35 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,343 times
Lima in Peru is no doubt an anomaly, due to the cold ocean currents going up the South American Pacific coast - that go all the way to the Galapagos Islands - you even need a wetsuit to swim there at the equator.
This is known as the Humboldt current:
Humboldt Current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This gives a temperate climate at a tropical latitude.
As far as elevation goes, Johannesburg seems quite mild for its altitude of some 1750 metres, or 5750 feet, with an annual mean temp of 10 - 22C, or 50 - 71F, even allowing for its latitude of 26S, just below the tropics.
This would equate to an average >100F annual daily max if it were at sea level.
This is a very high town, there are no towns anywhere near this high in this country, the highest towns are around 1300 metres - which are bitterly cold.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:50 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
You're closer to 44 N and close to 200 m AMSL (at the airport). Compensating for altitude, you're only about 1.5 C lower than would be expected for your latitude. Vancouver, on the other hand, is actually very warm for its latitude (49 N) with a mean of 9.9 C (airport) rather than the 6.2 C expected. It seems to benefit from the Alaska current.
No I'm not.
Check it out, 43.40'38 Pearson Intl Airport (Toronto's largest AP )

Canadian Climate Normals 1971-2000 | Canada's National Climate Archive

Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,466,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I live at 43 N and our annual mean is 7.5 C. (45.5 F?)
It would be 6.5-7 C without the Great Lakes and/or heat island.
We have no "cold water currents" chilling us.

Though compared to Europe, Toronto is an ice-box for its latitude.
Not sure where YOU are but according to Wikipedia, Toronto has 48.5F annual mean. You can find places in New Jersey colder than this.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Not sure where YOU are but according to Wikipedia, Toronto has 48.5F annual mean. You can find places in New Jersey colder than this.
That recording is somewhere in downtown Toronto, with the most "heat-island effect."

Pearson AP is closer to avg conditions around the GTA.
Avg is about 12.5/2.5 C so that makes an annual mean of 7.5 C, or approx 45.5 F.
It is outside CBD but in no way is it rural. It's all hemmed in by 'burbs now.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
For me the most amazing temperature anomaly are the Lofoten Islands in Norway at 68N latitude. They average above freezing every month of the year and they are above the arctic circle. I bet they could probably even grow palm trees there! Now that.. is AMAZING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather