Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 AM

62 posts, read 176,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
With an income bracket of the million plus annually that you stated in your OP, I was going to suggest Bainbridge Island. Many exquisite waterfront homes there with fantastic vistas, excellent schools, many neighbors with similar incomes, etc. This location would also provide easy access to Seattle with all of its cultural ammenities: first rate symphony orchestra, high end dining, sporting events etc. The downside is it would involve commuting to Tacoma (although you didn't say where in the Tacoma area your job was). I suppose you could a driver and let him worry about the traffic!

Bellingham? Sorry, I'm not a well versed in that area. I'm sure someone else will jump in on this.
Seven figures is a million+. Unfortunately I am making a more modest 6 figures.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,654,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_trackstar View Post
In doing further research, I'm strongly leaning towards Bellingham. Can anyone identify the best suburbs in terms of school quality and community, so that I can continue researching?
There are several nice neighborhoods in Bellingham. The most exclusive, Edgemoor, is located in the SW section of the city. Edgemoor is adjacent to the quant little village known as Fairhaven. Fairhaven was once a city in and of itself, but is now part of Bellingham. Edgemoor is teeming with expensive homes, however there are homes in with modest prices in and around Edgemoor. There's a community center and community pool there for homes within certain boundaries.
http://www.edgemoorneighborhood.com/
http://www.bellingham.net/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page &PAGE_id=67&MMN_position=87:87 (broken link)
http://www.fairhaven.com/
http://www.bellingham.net/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page &PAGE_id=6&MMN_position=13:13 (broken link)

Also the the South Hill Neighborhood which sits between WWU and Bellingham Bay....which is full of gorgeous old Victorian homes many with beautiful views of Bellingham Bay. These homes all reference the south end schools as well.
http://www.bellingham.net/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page &PAGE_id=19 (broken link)

Chuckanut Drive. The homes here, with some exceptions are spectacular view homes with jaw dropping views of the San Juan Islands. Served by the south end schools.
http://www.bellingham.net/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page &PAGE_id=79&MMN_position=89:89 (broken link)

Samish Hill This neighborhood can be confusing because it's a wide variety of areas. The most desirable of which ironically is also often referred to as the "South Hill" But it's not the same South Hill as aforementioned. This is development of homes just east of Lake Padden. It's a really nice area with modern homes and lots of young familes. Also served by the south end schools.
http://www.bellingham.net/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page &PAGE_id=54&MMN_position=93:93 (broken link)

Lake Samish If you're into a more rural setting, about 8 minutes south of town is Lake Samish. There are lots of waterfront homes and homes nearby. Samish is a gorgeous lake with a public swimming area. Also served by the south end schools.
http://www.bellingham.net/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page &PAGE_id=101&MMN_position=101:101 (broken link)

The best schools in Bellingham, in my view, are as follows in this order.

Happy Valley Elementary
Lowell Elementary
Larabee Elementary
Wade King Elementary

Fairhaven Middle School (An excellent MS)

Sehome HS

Both of the other high schools are also very good.
Bellingham HS
Squalicum HS

If you don't mind a 10 minute commute, there are also some beautiful areas in Ferndale. Mind you, you're in a more conservative area so keep that in mind. But the schools in Ferndale are very goos as well.

Feel free to PM me with questions if you like.

Last edited by Bill Loney; 04-27-2010 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 10:48 AM

62 posts, read 176,133 times
Thanks Bill, great post.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Bellingham is a great choice.
As kids age to High School, I would consider having them do 'Running Start' (free College INSTEAD, or in Addition to High School). Bellingham offers choice in this (Whatcom CC or Bellingham Tech Insti.) Probably an opportunity for WWU as well. Worked well for my kids. Really helped since they were paying their own way, and each finished HS with AA degree + diploma, and went right into Jr level programs at U. (2 yrs less to pay for, 2 yrs sooner into wage level employment)

Most importantly, they had a good and challenging program grades 11 & 12, and learned a bunch + were prepared to excel at U, rather than 'camping-out' in HS. (Your mileage may vary)

Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Bellingham is a great choice.
As kids age to High School, I would consider having them do 'Running Start' (free College INSTEAD, or in Addition to High School). Bellingham offers choice in this (Whatcom CC or Bellingham Tech Insti.) Probably an opportunity for WWU as well. Worked well for my kids. Really helped since they were paying their own way, and each finished HS with AA degree + diploma, and went right into Jr level programs at U. (2 yrs less to pay for, 2 yrs sooner into wage level employment)

Most importantly, they had a good and challenging program grades 11 & 12, and learned a bunch + were prepared to excel at U, rather than 'camping-out' in HS. (Your mileage may vary)
LOL My oldest is doing running start right now at WCC and Sehome HS. Great program indeed.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 AM

28 posts, read 53,181 times
My husband and I are from small mid-west towns and have grown to love the Tacoma area. We live in the University Place area which has about 31,000 residents and maintains a wonderful, neighborly small town feel. Don't listen to the those that tell you that Tacoma stinks- it is really a pretty cool area with a lot going on. Below are some of the reasons why I love to live in University Place.

While other school districts are cutting back on faculty and special programs, University Place schools still have all the bells and whistles including mandatory music programs and unique opportunities for different grade levels such as swimming lessons and the 6th grade week at Camp Seymour. A recent public vote will ensure that the current funding will continue. Everyone from teachers and administrators to students and parents would not want to be anywhere else. Morale is high.

University Place Recreation Department has a fabulous sports programs including lacrosse, soccer, football, basketball, baseball, and dance.

University Place has a community festival every summer at Cirque Park where they have food, games, bands and activities. There is also a Winter Festival and tree lighting.

Fred Meyer, Safeway and Trader Joe’s are great stores to have close by. The new Town Center will further provide a centralized area for services, library, and shopping.

Chambers Bay public golf course is a wonderful local resource. My son and husband run to and around the golf course. I often walk the path with neighbors which is about 3.25 miles. It will host the US Amateurs this summer and the US Open in 2015. Those events will bring a lot of attention to the area as well as help to protect property values. Chambers Bay has a great dog park and this summer there will be public access to the beach and a "tot lot." If you end up in Puyallup or Sumner you are so far from Puget Sound you can easily forget that you are near water.

The museums, restaurants and other cultural events of 6th Ave, Proctor, Old Town, and the water front are easily reached by bus or taxi. (Which we often use to avoid the inevitable conflict between a fun night out and driving home.)

Point Defiance is right up the road. There are miles of running and biking opportunities as well as the zoo, beach and park.

I hope some of this helps! Good luck!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM

54 posts, read 220,791 times
tacoma = crime infested ghetto

Bellingham = canadian filled hicktown

Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxis View Post
tacoma = crime infested ghetto

Bellingham = canadian filled hicktown
Bellingham is a hick town?

I can understand plenty of folks not liking Bellingham. It's not for everyone.

But to suggest it's a Canadian filled hick town is just plain ignorant There are Canadians here certainly. But Bellingham is anything but hick.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM

108 posts, read 135,159 times
Default tacoma

has high crime and mostly unhelpful unfriendly people.home invasions even at the outskirts.it's nothing to brag about.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc123 View Post
has high crime and mostly unhelpful unfriendly people.home invasions even at the outskirts.it's nothing to brag about.
Total bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington