Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM

16 posts, read 59,406 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'll be visiting Bellingham in a couple of weeks; staying for almost a week and trying to get a feel for the city center, different neighborhoods, the retail scene, the apartment situation (I definitely want to rent before I buy) and the surrounding areas. In other words, like so many others seeking reinvention and fresh starts, I'm trying to see if this new spot is right for me and, equally important, if I'm right for it.

But, unlike many others in these forums, I'm not moving with kids or family or with anyone for that matter. And I'm not a student or especially young! [Not real old either!] I'm retired from the day-to-day stresses of museum admin and looking for an art town where I could work in a gallery or similar retail outlet; a town that's self-sufficient but close enough to a big metro area for all the "stuff" it offers. I also love hiking and being outdoors in all but the hottest weather. Rain? Snow? Hey, I'm from the Eastern Great Lakes, it doesn't faze me.

I've looked at a few places so far... Bend, OR (which I loved, but I'm distressed about the extreme downturn in its fortunes), Prescott, AZ (OK, but a little TOO old and politically extreme), Boulder and Ashland (beautiful, but too hip for the basic nerd in me) and Astoria (really loved it, but 90" of rain may be about 40" too much, plus the isolation may be a bit much). This has been a lengthy and thorough process! Now I'm looking at Bellingham and rather encouraged by what I've read and heard so far.

Believe me, I know there are no more utopias out there (if there ever really were) and that we're all living with the realities of 2009, not 1959. But, with that said, can anyone tell me if Bellingham is a realistic choice for a non-family, late middle-aged newcomer?

I will be grateful for your insights. Thanks, Alice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
I think you'd probably like it, coming in with realistic expectations. Probably the biggest potential drag would be relatively high housing costs, but if you can swing that, that might not be a major factor.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Good point about housing. It looks like the median '09 selling price across all three zip codes is between 250 and 300K and that will work for me, just. In a way, I'm kind of glad the RE prices haven't tanked as badly as they have in Bend. It may speak well for the general economy of the area... maybe? I hope.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:19 PM

College towns always have a certain amount of inherent staying power, and that helps Bellingham. So does its rep as a quaint place.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Oh, and let me add that I also would like a town that's not an ideal vacation spot for "America's Most Wanted" or has its own ongoing episodes of "Cops!" So, while it may not be Mayberry, it's where gangs and crimes are not top of mind, all the time. (Again, I know, I know there are no Utopias, but still, I just want to hedge my bets!) thanks.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM

I haven't heard of B-ham having crime problems disproportionate to its size. Certainly nothing like Yakima, which has areas I'd consider no-go zones at night.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Springs View Post
Good point about housing. It looks like the median '09 selling price across all three zip codes is between 250 and 300K and that will work for me, just. In a way, I'm kind of glad the RE prices haven't tanked as badly as they have in Bend. It may speak well for the general economy of the area... maybe? I hope.
As somebody intimately aware of the housing situation here in those price ranges, I hope you will seriously consider what I have to say.

Congratulations on being able to afford a $275Kish home. Now, all you have to do is find a nice, livable one! No small feat, considering that essentially all recent construction has catered to new arrivals with deep pockets wanting mansions. But don't take my word for it - come on out and take a look around. Hundreds and hundreds of homes for sale, but they're all too large, too lavish and too expensive for what you probably want or need.

If you want something nice for $300K take a number, get in line, and be prepared to wait months at a time only to bid against everybody else looking for the same house when that one listing hits the market.

In this price range, the market is saturated with garbage that stays on the market forever, and the rare gem that's sold immediately.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Thank you for your point of view, CoastieTX. However, in reading your other posts, I have a feeling you just may have a bit of an axe to grind about anyone moving into your area. Look, I'm a reasonably nice woman who's worked hard all her life in some very high stress jobs and now I'm just humbly and kindly and respectfully asking for advice from like-minded people. That's it. I do not want to engage in a socio-economic debate. OK? cheers and peace, Alice

Old 09-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your point of view, CoastieTX. However, in reading your other posts, I have a feeling you just may have a bit of an axe to grind about anyone moving into your area. Look, I'm a reasonably nice woman who's worked hard all her life in some very high stress jobs and now I'm just humbly and kindly and respectfully asking for advice from like-minded people. That's it. I do not want to engage in a socio-economic debate. OK? cheers and peace, Alice
I realize the above; that's why I took time to answer. I do so with increasing rarity lately. But I wouldn't take CTX's description of the real estate situation as a clever brush-off to your hopes. I have lived in Washington all my adult life, including sixteen years in Seattle. As soon as any place in Washington gets a reputation for being really neat, real estate prices skyrocket and it becomes challenging to buy a decent habitation at a halfway reasonable price. Several towns on the peninsula, the majority of the Puget Sound area, Wenatchee and Leavenworth have already experienced this.

My wife recently considered a job opportunity in Wenatchee and I was simply appalled to see how much people wanted for a house there. Bellingham has been no exception to the trend--it's near Chuckanut Drive, convenient to Canada, convenient to Anacortes and the San Juans, convenient to skiing, convenient to Seattle, a college town with its own vibe...there's a lot to like. I think CTX is just trying to prepare you for the cold reality of where you're looking, and give you the real truth. I can assure you that situations like what s/he described have happened in the past.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,507 times
Quote:
Alice, first of all, this isn't "my area." I'm a recent Bellingham transplant, too. And I can also reassure you I'm a reasonably nice guy that that's also worked hard his whole life. In fact, I'm so nice I'm doing for you what I wish someone had done for me before I moved here with the same illusions about Bellingham.

The fact of the matter is Bellingham has consistently been rated as being in the top ten of the nation's most over-valued real estate markets. As of two minutes ago, according to Windermere.com, there are only 134 homes listed for sale in the $250K to $300K price range. I can assure you that you would dismiss the overwhelming majority of these homes as places you would seriously consider buying. This is exactly why just over half of Bellingham now rents, and illustrates my point that decent homes in this price range are slim pickings, especially considering 80K people live here.

Here is a real-world example of a screaming bargain that you will have to wait several months to see the likes of again:

bellingham WA Real Estate for Sale | Windermere Real Estate

This $300K 1400 square foot home went under contract immediately because it's priced at least $25K less than anything else comparable. But the funny thing here is I'm not even complaining about the price. I'm complaining about the fact there simply isn't any homes like this to choose from! If you think you are going to be able to pick and choose among homes like this in Bellingham, you are sorely, sorely, mistaken. You will have to wait months and fight everybody else looking for the same thing!

Also, as of two minutes ago, there are a whopping 463 homes for sale priced above $300K, many of them downright dumps compared to the above example, which explains why it's already off the market. It's really strange - going up in price just $75K will get you twice the house, and so much more selection to choose from. But people like us don't want or need twice the house, and that's the real tragedy: Bellingham has completely ignored the middle class during its growth spurt.

Alice, if you interpret these posts as being dishonest, or as having an axe to grind, I don't know what to tell you. All I know is if I were telling you anything different than I am now in regards to the housing here, I'd be guilty of straight-up lying. Look, I'm not so naive as to think my anonymous posts on some website are going to have an impact on the number of new arrivals to Bellingham, especially considering the exposure we will receive from the upcoming Olympics in Vancouver. I'm just giving you a first-hand account of things from the perspective of someone who has done what you want to do.

When you visit Bellingham, I cannot stress enough that you get together with a realtor so you can see exactly how you will be living if you decide to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington