Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 04:17 PM

13 posts, read 29,716 times

Advertisements

Hi there...

I'm from San Francisco, in my late 30's and am probably going to relocate from San Francisco to Bellingham, WA. I have a job offer there. I've lived in New York, Chicago, and several international destinations. I'm used to going to the gym late if I have to, or going to the grocery store at 11 pm because I work late. I like having things open late if I need them, because I can't always get things done during the day.

I've never been to Bellingham, and really have only been to Washington state a couple times. It's beautiful!!

I'm wondering how life would be for an Urban single woman to live there. I need to research the demographics of the city, but is it pretty remote? Similiar to Seattle? 24 hour stores? I know I'll miss the Urban life, but change can be good. As with most new cities, making new friends, dating, finding a place to live can make a person nervous.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I like to default to locals to get the best information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,376,444 times
There are a couple of gyms open all night in Bellingham, 24 Hour Fitness and Anytime fitness, and at least one all night diner, the Horseshoe cafe, one of the oldest continuously operating restaurants in the US. The atmosphere is old diner cool, the food nothing to write home about. I'm sure there are other late night places I don't know about.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 PM

467 posts, read 1,047,183 times
We have a Gold's Gym and local grocer, Haggen's, that are open 24 hours so making late night runs to either is no problem. The great thing about Bellingham is there is an abundance of what are called inner-urban trails that wind through the city which are perfect for running on. There are also several running clubs you can join that meet weekly. I don't even go to a gym anymore; while some may disagree with me, I find the climate here almost a luxury for running - it sure beats heat and humidity.

I wouldn't call Bellingham remote or "hickish." The best way to describe it is to say it's like a mini-Seattle. While it can't compare with San Francisco's nightlife, there are a lot of restaurants and clubs here, and it is a university town. It offers enough that all the university grads want to stay rather than leave, which says a lot.

By far, the biggest problem we have here is housing. It is a very sore subject with me, indeed. You'll be able to find decent, smaller rental houses for around $1250 a month and up, and there are a lot to choose from. This is a renter's city. Buying is an entirely different matter. We're still included in the nation's top ten of overpriced housing markets so if you're looking for bargains, this isn't the place.

I'd say if you've already secured a good job here, you've already won half the battle. This is a great place to live if your income can keep up with the cost of living.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,868 times
I'm in my 30's, but I'm a sahm.... my idea a fun night is getting to sleep through it. Besides the college crowd, I would NOT describe b'ham as having a fun night life for the mature crowd. Sure, we have a few gyms open at night, but some of the 24 hr stores are closing at night because of the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington