Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 AM

12 posts, read 46,243 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Seattle and will be driving up from San Diego in the next week. Does anyone know if there are any routes to avoid due to snow, ice etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 01:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,729,335 times
There's pretty much just the one route: I-5.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:37 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Once you get on i5 and go north, it's basically a straight shot, a sure bet. Just stay on it. Do you plan on sight-seeing on the way?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:17 AM

12 posts, read 46,243 times
I know it's a straight shot on I-5 and no, I don't plan on any side trips-- gonna drive it straight through-- only stopping for gas.

What I wanted to know was if there were any mountain passes or high elevations that may give me trouble if it snows... I don't have a 4x4 or chains for the tires.. (no need for them in SoCal).

Old 01-30-2010, 02:40 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,729,335 times
Unless there is an unusually severe winter storm, you should not need chains for this trip.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,400 times
You can at times run into nasty weather in the Siskiyous They stretch from Northern CA into Southern Oregon. Always carry chains. I've been on there when it gets downright ugly.

Siskiyou Summit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Siskiyou Summit (or Siskiyou Mountain Summit) is a mountain pass that carries Interstate 5 (I-5) through the Siskiyou Mountains near the border between the U.S. states of California and Oregon. The summit is located on the Oregon side, approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) north of the state line,[1] and, at 4,310 feet (1,310 m), is the highest point on Interstate 5. The pass features some of the steepest grades in the Interstate Highway System.[2] Siskiyou Pass is also crossed by the Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad, originally the main line of the Oregon and California Railroad. It was bypassed by a shorter and less steep route via Klamath Falls, known as the Natron Cutoff, in 1926.
"Siskiyou Summit" is distinct from the "Siskiyou Pass" that was the highest point of U.S. Route 99. U.S. Route 99 was replaced by Interstate 5 by 1964 but the pass on I-5 is commonly also referred to as "Siskiyou Pass".[3]

Old 01-30-2010, 09:58 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times
Simply monitor the weather. And, call ahead! I am pretty sure the Oregon and Washington state DOTs have information lines on whether chains are required or advised. Do you have a RWD car? If so, then I highly recommend getting chains.

Also, remember I think there's a carry law which states you're required to carry chains even if they're not required between about November and April. Just go and get the chains, they're not hard to use or put on, and they're easy to take off, and they aren't really expensive. Go to WADOT's website and search for the video on how to put on chains, I think they also have it on Youtube.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:03 AM

271 posts, read 657,690 times
As justcallmetc says the Siskiyou's of northern California/southern Oregon is the only place you may have a problem. I had to spend the night in Yreka, CA once because the pass was closed but once I got over it I had a clear shot all the way.

BTW, 4x4's don't neccesarily help. More accidents are caused by people who think that because they have a 4-wheel drive they don't have to be as careful as people who don't then by people who drive regular cars and just use common sense and caution.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:08 AM

271 posts, read 657,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Simply monitor the weather. And, call ahead! I am pretty sure the Oregon and Washington state DOTs have information lines on whether chains are required or advised. Do you have a RWD car? If so, then I highly recommend getting chains.

Also, remember I think there's a carry law which states you're required to carry chains even if they're not required between about November and April. Just go and get the chains, they're not hard to use or put on, and they're easy to take off, and they aren't really expensive. Go to WADOT's website and search for the video on how to put on chains, I think they also have it on Youtube.
I think that carry law is only for semi's. I hope, or I'm breaking the law everytime I drive.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,400 times
If you feel like you won't need chains after this trip, here's what I'd do. Go to Costco and buy a set. If you don't use them you can return them up here. (Same with Sears)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington