Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
You can at times run into nasty weather in the Siskiyous They stretch from Northern CA into Southern Oregon. Always carry chains. I've been on there when it gets downright ugly.

Siskiyou Summit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Siskiyou Summit (or Siskiyou Mountain Summit) is a mountain pass that carries Interstate 5 (I-5) through the Siskiyou Mountains near the border between the U.S. states of California and Oregon. The summit is located on the Oregon side, approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) north of the state line,[1] and, at 4,310 feet (1,310 m), is the highest point on Interstate 5. The pass features some of the steepest grades in the Interstate Highway System.[2] Siskiyou Pass is also crossed by the Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad, originally the main line of the Oregon and California Railroad. It was bypassed by a shorter and less steep route via Klamath Falls, known as the Natron Cutoff, in 1926.
"Siskiyou Summit" is distinct from the "Siskiyou Pass" that was the highest point of U.S. Route 99. U.S. Route 99 was replaced by Interstate 5 by 1964 but the pass on I-5 is commonly also referred to as "Siskiyou Pass".[3]
Yeah this would be your only issue if the weather gets crazy. I've been through that area once when going to Washington from Oakland. It's very steep so check the weather and try to make sure that it won't be icy. It's also rather windy once you get to the Oregon side (around Grants pass I believe) so just use common sense when going through that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 PM

12 posts, read 46,241 times
Thanks for all the info. I'm no stranger to driving in snowy/icy conditions as I'm originally from the North East. My car is a FWD and it will be loaded down with things from the move.

Is there any way to bypass that Pass into Oregon.. perhaps another road that would skirt me around the higher elevation where I could pick up the I-5 again on the other side?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
i5 is going to be the best bet-- more traffic goes through there more than any other routes. So the other routes aren't going to have all the attention that i5 gets. If i5 is closed or whatever, definitely do NOT find another route, just wait it out-- it's probably maximum of a day.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM

12 posts, read 46,241 times
Cool-- thanks!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
As inkpoe said; use I5. That coatal route, while scenic can be quite treacherous for a whole different set of reasons and there won't be as much attention there. It will also take you four times as long. Just wait it out if I5 is closed.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:18 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
To be legal, yes, you have to carry chains in the vehicle or have approved traction tires when going through Oregon's "Snow Zones." This applies to all vehicles, not just trucks. I-5 in southern Oregon has several snow zones, actually three and are a series of passes and summits that stretch from the California border to about 30 miles outside of Roseburg; Canyonville to be exact.

These three "snow zones" on I-5 are:

1. the Siskiyou summit (elev. 4,310') ...the snow zone is from the state line to Talent.

2. Smith Hill summit (elev. 1,730'), Stage Rd Pass (elev. 1,830'), Sexton Mountain Pass summit (elev. 1,960'). This snow zone covers Grants Pass to Glendale.

3. the Canyon Creek summit (elev. 2,020'). ...the snow zone is from Azalea to about Canyonville.

However, when the Siskiyous (and/or the aforementioned snow zones) are clear, an LEO obviously isn't going to stop you just to check if you have chains in the car. In fact, even if you're pulled over for a routine traffic stop, chances are the LEO isn't going to ask you if you have chains in the car if the roads are absolutely clear.

You can get a ticket if you happen to get caught in a snowstorm in route through the snow zones and the "chains required" alert is posted and you don't have chains in the car or traction tires on the vehicle.

This information is from several OSP officers I've had lengthy conversations with in the past. I travel through this area multiple times during the winter.

If you have internet access while you are traveling, you can see the road conditions on the ODOT website's road cams and also get the current road conditions to see if chains are required and to get the current weather conditions.

TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

You have several cams on both sides of the border.

As others have said, it's probably best to buy a set of chains and if you don't need them or want to wait a storm out, then you can return them if not used. You usually can keep them through the winter and return them as long as they haven't been used. Les Schwab also has that policy in addition to the others mentioned.

Again, all Oregon "snow zones" will have this sign posted all winter regardless of the road conditions:

This means that the Minimum Chain Restriction is to be followed: Carry chains or traction tires regardless of conditions.

There is a good route that I take when I'm towing and want to avoid chaining up. As others have said, it will take a few hours longer but the roads are good and you don't have to go through any snow zones. Direct Message me if you'd like that routing and I'll be glad to give you exact directions.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington