Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM

22 posts, read 36,772 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I'm Nick. At the moment, I live in Denver, but I have been considering moving for quite some time now. Since the opportunity came up for me to relocate, I have started doing research on states and towns I might like to live in. Washington has always been of interest to me because of its climate and culture. Im aiming to get out of a bigger city, so Im looking for smaller towns to move to. Since I have no clue about what type of towns/cities Washington has to offer, I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions. I will provide some personal details below and hopefully you guys can give me some good recommendations for areas in the Northwest. Thanks so much!

Orientation: Straight
Ethnicity: White
Religion: Open
Occupation: Student (Taking a break from school - Studying Computer Science)

Interests: People, Live Music, Movies, Guitar, Piano, and Video Games.

Ideal climate: Not too hot, Not extremely cold. I love rain/overcast. I like the snow, but dont want a lot of it. If there was somewhere that stayed 60-65 degrees all year with a weak breeze, I would be the most comfortable person in the world. Haha.

Other: I would like to find a place with a good number of people in my age group, but dont necessarily want to live in a college town. Due to the fact that I have not finished school yet, it would be preferable to move to a place that I could find an entry-level job that just pays the bills. Safety/Low Crime Rate is also important to me.

Kind of specific I know, but I can make sacrifices here and there.

Thanks again,
Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:08 PM

2,253 posts, read 7,015,884 times
Wink Certainly explore

Just offhand, try Bellevue, WA. It lies just east of Seattle, across Lake Washington.

Bear in mind that my experience with the region is limited, having only visited at times. This suggestion based as much on anything else due your mention of computer science and video games, with Microsoft's campus headquarters in nearby Redmond.

It is a beautiful area, and distinctly different from the Rocky Mountain West. For one, you will find the temperatures milder, but more humid. The mountains are gorgeous but, again, different. Be sure and check out the Olympic peninsula. Others with more local experience may provide more specific help, although you will find within the region many different communities and ambiances.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:12 PM

127 posts, read 348,431 times
?

Last edited by Stropes; 12-02-2009 at 08:28 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 09:55 PM

I will go do some research right now and get back to you. Thank you very much for the reply!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,294,270 times
Bellevue and the adjoining suburbs of Kirkland, Redmond, and Issaquah etc. are certainly smaller than Seattle BUT. They would hardly be considered "small town". They are all major suburbs and as such carry with them many of the same challenges of living in the city itself. Traffic being one of those. They share decent proximity to Seattle if that is on your wish list.

So defining what you mean by smaller town would help.

You made mention that you wanted to find plenty of people in your own age group. Bellingham would fit that bill. About 80 miles north of Seattle, it is home to Western WA. University. It's the 3rd largest University in the State. As such, lots of young people. Way less traffic. And while real estate is not exactly cheap here, it is cheaper than the suburbs.

Olympia is another one to look into.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 AM

13,826 posts, read 30,099,217 times
Definitely west of the Cascades.

I think the issue you face is that you want stuff to do, you want people around your age, but you want to live in a small town. You can't always have all three.

I've lived in both (live in CO now, for the second time), and I definitely prefer WA to CO. But I like Eastern WA, which you probably wouldn't be too interested in.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:17 AM

79 posts, read 276,843 times
It's pretty tough to find a job in Bellingham though TC

Old 12-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks to all your guys help and suggestions, I was able to lay out a trip to go look at some different places in Washington and Oregon. Ill let you know what I decide. Thanks again to all of you!

-Nick

Old 12-03-2009, 01:32 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,294,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susansolin View Post
It's pretty tough to find a job in Bellingham though TC
Not at an "entry" level. There are jobs in that sector as the OP defined anyway.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:19 PM

79 posts, read 276,843 times
TC do you know where any jobs are available? I have two sons in their early 20's looking for work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington