Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 35,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkwithgold View Post
I HATED this town growing up. HATE-D it.

It wasn't the weather, or the distance from major cities that bothered me as much as MOST of the PEOPLE living there. Seriously. Mostly Fundamentalist in more ways than one: narrow-minded, short-sighted, and judgmental. In fact, I recently met a couple from there while I was traveling, and again I got the 'vibe' I had so much disdain for as a kid: that sense of someone being outwardly interested in what you have to say but silently sizing you up instead.

Bah.

I'll take my City, or even (happily) Seattle over that p.o.s. little town. 'Nuff said.
Hey I'm with ya, look at my post under Yakima where not to live... Yakima SUCKS!! And, unfortunately it is many of the people!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 AM

394 posts, read 1,007,073 times
yakima does have more than its share of problems for a city its size, but it's not all bad. on the one hand yakima has a high percentage of illegal aliens and the lousy overrun schools and hospitals that come with it. but west yakima is quite nice. i love the orchards. also if your willing to drive acouple hrs there's much at your disposal.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 22,382 times
I left there because criminals cost me millions then two homes and my business and seven vehicles!!!! I was born there and once loved it, now, I do not even visit for fear I may go Well lets say after my fathers killing, my ex wifes killing and my near death experience that I am going there, just not saying when!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 25,198 times
In response to Doctor Mom and others who are planning on moving to Yakima.

I have lived here off and on for 47 years and yet I always return, that should say something about Yakima.

Like any place we have our problems, but it's what you choose to make it. Yes, like with any city small or large there are areas that you would perfer to stay away from. Crime, drugs, and gangs will not be a problem if you choose wisely who you assoiciate with.

You will need to be opened minded and above all embrace diversity in order to be happy here. If you have school aged children, I would suggest that you not live east of 16th Ave unless you cross over the river to the east valley area. I would also suggest that you stay away from west of 16th Ave and north of Lincoln Ave. Any other areas would be okay if choose wisely, look at the area before you move for signs of gang activity like tagging. I personally live a few blocks west of the college and I like the area. I would also suggest staying away from apartment living if at all possible unless it is the lake aspen apartments. I live in a duplex and park in the garage and have never had any trouble at all.

signed Yakimaresident

Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 AM

3 posts, read 25,785 times
Default How to live comfortably in Yakima

I lived in Yaks for about 20 years, and then off and on for another 5. It's not exactly Mogadishu, but it is very rough. A lot of the locals don't realize how bad it is because they are used to working around the problems. New arrivals would be SHOCKED at this place. Also, most of the people who paint a pretty picture are rich people from West Valley. Their opinions aren't a good indicator as they live in the 'safe zone', and are generally considered snobs and yuppies by the rest of the town.

Anyway, before I get started on the bad, let me tell you about the good:

-Yakima has some of the friendliest people anywhere on earth. You'll always get a discount at every store, you'll make friends immediately and see them all the time. Strangers will start conversations with you, but in a good way.
-It's very close to great outdoor activities; Hiking, fishing, boating, motocross, camping, hunting, windsurfing, kayaking... Anything.
-No urban traffic, housing problem, homeless problem.
-Cool history and community events (The Fair, Folk life festival, Sunfair Parade).
-Great local produce (as mentioned earlier)... Get fresh apples, a Budweiser made from local hops, farmers markets, etc.
-Amazingly good weather.
-Rural housing is available if you're into that sort of thing.
It is a pretty cool place to live if you can avoid the crime and poverty.

The bad:
Most of the bad stuff has already been mentioned in this thread. One thing I'd like to mention is the stray dog problem. Walk around most neighborhoods in this town and you will be chased by a stray dog or two.

If you're up to it, or you have no choice, here's how you survive living in
Yakima:

Finding your way around / Finding a good place to live
A good rule of thumb for Yakima:
1) Find the nearest street sign. If it says **** Ave, you're probably ok. If it says *** Street, you're in the wrong neighborhood.

Here's a map that kind of breaks the city down for you:

You'll want a place that is in a blue or green area. Even then, crime in Yakima can come looking for you. Make sure your property is defensible... This means good locks on the doors, thorny shrubs under the windows, a solid fence, a locking garage for your cars, a couple of big dogs, and some seclusion.

When you first start exploring your neighborhood, you may want to only venture out in the daytime. This will help to get you aquainted with places you shouldn't go during a time of the day when you'll be less likely to get into trouble (example: Jackson's Sports Bar on a Saturday night).

You WILL have a neighbor that sells drugs, and the overworked police force won't be able to do anything about it. Welcome to Yakima... Don't worry though, if you live in a good neighborhood, your drug dealing neighbor is likely just a hobbyist and will be a minor annoyance... Also, if you have kids, be sure to check the sex offender registry before buying... and on that note:

Crime
The local police force will not be able to help you. In even the most dire emergency, they can take an hour to respond. Your burgler seems bad, but the guy shooting at the city bus is worse (true story). You are going to have to take responsibility for your own self defense. This means knowing where to go, where not to go, when to go there, and when not to go there. It means keeping a lookout for bad things, and knowing when to leave. And it also means getting armed and trained. The cops aren't coming. Get used to the idea, and live your life accordingly.

If you have any hangups about gun ownership, it's time to get over them. You can say guns are bad all you want, but the simple reality is that bad people have weapons, won't hesitate to use them, and in Yakima there are a LOT of bad people (and no, I'm actually a liberal). I would suggest getting a concealed weapons permit and training, and carrying the handgun of your choice. Also, a good loaded shotgun stashed away near your bed is a must-have. When 5 gang members are kicking down your door at 3am to steal your stuff, shoot you, and have their way with your wife, you'll thank me for this advice.

Seriously. If you can't get past the concept of relying on yourself for protection, don't move here. You will be the victim of violent crime. Period.

On top of all this, a couple of good dogs are key. Not pit bulls or anything like that... the best watchdogs are border collies, mastiffs and labs. They are loyal, make great pets, they are good sized and they are LOUD.

Let's recap: Dogs, Arms, Defensible house, Know your hoods, don't count on the police because they are just too busy, keep your car in the garage. If you do these things, your quality of life will be very high despite the crime.

"You're crazy. There's no way it's this bad."
Living there, I've had my car broken into 8 times, my house broken into 3, I've been drive-by shootinged once, had about 5 guns pulled on me, mugged twice... all in 5 years or so. I wasn't wrapped up in any bad stuff either, just a normal guy.

Some other crime suggestions:
-Don't look hispanic gang members in the eye. It's a sign of respect. They aren't interested in you as long as they feel respected.
-Keep your head on a swivel. If you feel like something bad is about to go down, it probably is. Get away ASAP. When someone is about to mug you or attack you, they get a special look in their eye. You'll know it when you see it... and you WILL see it.
-Don't be freaked out by general weirdness. Someone hiding from the cops in your back yard? No biggie. Fistfight at the grocery store? Just walk away. Gunshots on new years? Take cover... it only lasts a few minutes.
-You will see cars making drug deals. Ignore them, and make sure they know you're ignoring them.
-Always have an escape plan.
-Property crime is the worst here. Keep a list of your stuff so your homeowners insurance can pay to replace it. Also IF YOU'RE GOING TO GET A CAR STEREO, GET IT OUT OF TOWN! The local stereo companies are notorious for stealing the stereo they just installed. Yakima is #1 in the WORLD for car audio theft.

Driving around Yakima
Be patient. Everyone here is poor, and nobody has anything important going on. Before you make a driving decision, ask yourself "Is this worth getting into a fight over?" (OH YEAH! People in Yakima still get into fistfights. Avoid them if possible.) Traffic isn't bad, but people will get in your way. At least you aren't in a traffic jam in some big city.

-*NEVER HONK* Instead, give people the finger (unless they are gang members). I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but in Yakima giving someone the finger while driving means "I was unhappy with your driving decision. Please refrain from using that maneuver in the future." where as honking means "You're an idiot and I want to fight. Hey everyone, look at this idiot."

Work
There aren't a lot of jobs in Yakima. If you want one, you will have to network. Favoritism and nepotism are the ONLY ways to get hired here. Make friends, they will land you work.

Shopping
Yakima doesn't have the best shopping in the world, but there are some cool stores at Track 29 (DAYTIME ONLY!!!). Also, a bunch of new stores and a decent mall (Again, DAYTIME ONLY!!!). Grocery stores in the hood, and Mexican grocery stores are great places to go during the day. Cheap prices, cool food, fairly safe. Avoid them at night though.

Dining
Yakima has really good food. Everyone here is fat because they are hiding from the crime, and food is cheap entertainment. Best Mexican food in town can be had at any of the local taco vans (if you're brave enough... white people get weird looks at these places, but I've never been hassled. Also, all of the rumors about cat/dog meat are fake. These places get extra health inspections because of the local racism.). Sit down Mexican food is great at Track 29, El Porton on 40th, and El Mirador on Walnut (again, this place isn't usually frequented by white folks, but the owners are VERY friendly... the other customers will give you funny looks... But there is a mariache band on Friday nights!). Upscale places include Deli De Pasta and The Greystone both near Track 29... And finally, for a good burger, check out Miner's or Burger Ranch (Bacon Ranch burger w/ Bag o fries and fry sauce. OMG yum).

Nightlife
Forget about bars and clubs. You'll get beat up or shot.
example:
YouTube - Jackson's Bouncer Fight

Most people in Yakima just get together with their friends on weekends to hang out. BBQ, swim, drink, play games, BS... People in Yakima are more fun to just hang out with than people most places because they're used to making their own fun. Other options include the movies (Mercer Movie monopoly shuts down other local entertainment options), Family fun center, camping, Yakima Bears baseball or Sunkings basketball (both suprisingly fun) .

Weather
It seems like every year some Seattleite comes over and dies of heatstroke on a bicycle ride. IT'S A DESERT! Just because it's cool in the morning doesn't mean it's going to stay cool. Average summer highs are around 89, but it can easily get up to 115. Wear sunscreen, stay in the shade, and drink a TON of water. Water is key because of the dry climate. You won't sweat, you'll just dry out.

In the winter, it may snow. Own a 4x4 if you want to leave Yakima during the winter. Alternately, make sure you have chains. Most people in Yaks switch their tires over to studded snow tires for the winter... It's not so bad though. Mostly just cold.

Politics/Culture
People complain about Yakima residents being 'closed minded' or 'uneducated.' It's pretty much true. The high school graduation rate here looks like the college graduation rate in most towns. If you're educated, just avoid the topics of politics and race, and you'll find some of the most lovely people you've ever met.

Overall, if you can stand this lifestyle, Yakima can be a great town. Personally, I'd prefer the Tri Cities, Wenatchee or Spokane. All of the benefits with far fewer problems.

Last edited by reagansquad; 03-18-2008 at 03:55 AM..

Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM

10 posts, read 66,107 times
Default Yakima is doing fine

I have lived in Yakima for about eight months now. I enjoy the climate, wine country, friendly people and outdoor adventure opportunities. Yes there are some rough neighborhoods and issues but so does Tucson, Tacoma, Detroit and any number of small and large towns in the USA. I believe there is an outdated perception of Yakima in regards to crime.

At a recent service club presentation, the Chamber of Commerce compiled and reported various crime data. Since 1988, there has been a 48% decrease in crime in the City of Yakima. That statistic is based on number of crimes per 1,000 residents. Between 2006 and 2007, Yakima County saw a 17% overall decrease in crime. Auto theft, robbery, and burglary are all on the decline, so progress is being made.

Downtown is also taking off with new projects and developments. And this fall, the Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences opens in Yakima, infusing a whole new level of energy and higher education opportunities.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 12,544 times
Thumbs up Love Yakima

I really am baffled by all the criticism of Yakima. I moved here after living in California for thirty years and intend on staying here to raise my young family. Sure there are crime problems, but most of the gang problems are grossly exaggerated. There are great signs of hope for the area. Entire new residential developments are being built all over the area. Retail is exploding. What will be the largest retail center in the Valley will start construction soon. People are coming from all over to invest in the Yakima Valley.

Many of the negative comments on here reflect a hysteria that is grounded in some really prejudice perspectives. The map of where not to go in Yakima is silly. Some of these people need to get out of Yakima to get some perspective or go live in the middle of nowhere in Idaho.

When I think of Yakima I think of friendly people, good schools, excellent produce, excellent weather, close access to some of the most incredible outdoor recreation in the world, wonderful churches and a community wide desire to keep improving.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 19,165 times
Thumbs up Yaktown rocks

Okay Reagansquad had some advice worth considering, but I disagree with a lot of what he said. The area of downtown he stated "Don't go into this neighborhood at any time" (in black) is bunk and bad advice. While some areas are bad and caution should be used, the downtown core of Yakima Avenue and Front street have recently been updated and greatly improved. Downtown has some great small retail, wineries, good bars and restaurants, a new Hilton Garden Suites and other quality hotels, the Capitol Theater and the Convention Center. The area also has State Fair Park and the Sun Dome, which host a lot of events, festivals and fairs. But ijn reviewing many other cities, Reagansquad is not alone: for some reason the forums for a lot of cities seem to attract the extreme town haters.

Having lived here for seven years my advice is to find what you like, enjoy the great outdoors (like fly fishing and skiing), the sunny weather and get involved in a community group to meet folks, while avoiding trouble and using your good sense and you will do fine. Unlike what some have stated, the people here are really great. My neighbors have always been there when I needed them, we look out for each other and I have not once have had my car broken into or anything else. And by the way, I live in one of the areas Reagansquad says not to walk in around at any time.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:46 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,060 times
"I believe there is an outdated perception of Yakima in regards to"...a lot of things.

I want to know where to get the discount!!
And I want to know how I've survived all these years, with all the crime and the heatstroke, I should already be dead.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 25,198 times
In response to reagansquad. I found your map to be somewhat interesting and somewhat true. There is absolutely no area here in Yakima that I would not go in as a white female during the day so your black area is wrong. Yes, we have crime, gangs and drugs, but it is who you choose to associate with that will decide what kind of life you lead here. Not all the West Valley area people are snobs, I don't live there but have several friends who do. As an older (much older) college student here at YVCC, I do see that a lot of the WV kids at YVCC have lived quite sheltered lives though.

I really enjoyed your since of humor on the driving part in Yakima. El Mirador suck's but if you want the best mexican food try Antojito's on W. Lincoln Ave, the best and homemade tortilla's.

yakimaresident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington