Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:11 AM

10 posts, read 53,699 times

Advertisements

We want to move to the Aberdeen area... can anyone tell us the pros and cons... and what cities in the area or parts of Aberdeen do not flood?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:31 AM

148 posts, read 1,228,655 times
Here are the flood areas for N. and S. Aberdeen. The shaded areas are more susceptible to flooding. A lot of the places at the base of or on a hill is safe (they're also where you'll find the nicer homes/neighborhoods). Keep in mind that flooding happens pretty infrequently. Figure once every ten years or so, and it's pretty much street and yard flooding; no up to the the roof, Mississippi Rvr. kind of flooding. Last year was pretty intense.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and Cons of Moving to Aberdeen?? Floods?-1b-large-.jpg   Pros and Cons of Moving to Aberdeen?? Floods?-2b-large-.jpg   Pros and Cons of Moving to Aberdeen?? Floods?-3b-large-.jpg   Pros and Cons of Moving to Aberdeen?? Floods?-4b-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Ryan; 01-11-2008 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM

148 posts, read 1,228,655 times
Some of the older ones are more detailed-

Gray's Harbor Posts

Old 01-13-2008, 01:01 AM

7 posts, read 47,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHaightorg View Post
We want to move to the Aberdeen area... can anyone tell us the pros and cons... and what cities in the area or parts of Aberdeen do not flood?

Thanks!
Flooding isn't a huge deal in Aberdeen and if you're concerned about it there are enough hills you can move to that it's not a big problem. And really, if you have any money you shouldn't be living in the lowlands anyway.

Pros: cheap, near Olympic Peninsula and Westport

Cons: crime, unemployment, negative people, horrible government, bad weather, school system is very bad, all shopping is done at Wal-Mart

Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 PM

13 posts, read 115,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintRocks View Post

Cons: crime, unemployment, negative people, horrible government, bad weather, school system is very bad, all shopping is done at Wal-Mart

Good summary.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 PM

199 posts, read 1,513,845 times
Quick summary:
Pro's: small town feel, close to the most beautiful parts of Washington (South Beach/Tokeland/Westport, Quinault Rainforest), affordable housing, good schools for K-8, insignificant crime when compared to major cities, friendly people (if you are a friendly person), no traffic (except when a bridge is up)
Cons: small towns lack resources, weak academics for secondary education, economy is still struggling to find itself after decline of mill/fishing industries

The long version:
Hi! I live in Westport, which is a beach community about 20 minutes from Aberdeen/Hoquiam. Westport is a small beach town. It's a small community, and if you like your peace and quiet, and you like the ocean, this is the place for you. Westport is home to a world class marina, a small grocery store (the Red Apple), an active Senior Center, a decent small school district for k-12, a post office, and a small library. The town comes to life during fishing season, starting in April with the Crab Festival/Crab Races, and going all summer long with various seasons for fishing and various festivals. Even on the busiest, hottest summer day, you can walk out on the beach and be only one of handful of people out there. There are some really great restaurants in town and some fun shopping down on the Marina.

Aberdeen/Hoquiam are the two cities that comprise the Grays Harbor Metro area. This area used to be home to booming fishing and timber industries, and then kind of deteriorated along the 80's and 90's.

Before I came here, I had a pretty negative view of the place, so be prepared for that, especially from the Seattle forum. But its actually a great place to live.

Housing prices are very affordable. You can rent a small home for around $500. For a little more you can actually live in Westport and live walking distance to the beach. If you are looking to buy, there are lots of large lots available - the closer to the beach, the more expensive. I have also seen some great acreage-properties along the many local rivers that are very reasonable.

Weather is slightly milder than Seattle, (with the exception of the 2 - 3 severe winter storms a year - like the big wind storm that just blew 80 MPH winds ). It doesn't get quite as hot as Seattle in July and August, and it doesn't get quite as cold as Seattle in January and February. It might snow once or twice a year, but more often than not, it will not snow at all.

Shopping is a little bit of a chore. There is a Safeway and Top Foods in Aberdeen, and the local chain, Swansons is okay, but the local mall is kind of depressing. (Except for the new theaters, which are nice). If you want anything other than groceries, walmart or building supplies, you are about 45 minutes away from the nearest Costco, Target or Macy's.

However, the pluses is that you are in a nice small community, no commute, relatively low crime (compared to the city), and you are within 30 minutes to some of the most pristine rain forests, and just a hop skip and a jump from Westport, which has 18 miles of sandy beaches. It is the most popular surf beach north of California, great for fishing, clamming and crabbing, and just a great place to spend your off days.

Other communities you might consider near here are Grayland and Tokeland (south of Westport), Ocosta (on the Bay), and Cosmopolis (outside of South Aberdeen). Elma and Montesano are the inland communities of Grays Harbor

If you want more info on Grays Harbor, let me know, I'm happy to share. Check out the local newspaper (google The Daily World Aberdeen) to look at classifieds for rentals, and local news.

Like I said, be prepared for the negative comments from people that didn't like it here... there seem to be a lot of them. I have found the community to be welcoming and the surroundings to be a joy. If you take advantage of what the area has to offer, stay out and about, get involved in things like the Elks or Lions or Chamber or your church, you'll like it. If you need to be coddled with modern amenities, a fancy mall with a gap and a costco, you'll probably hate it.

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 15,228 times
thank you for your view
the information was very helpful thanks
Edward

Old 03-17-2008, 02:51 PM

26 posts, read 138,238 times
Default Long time wa resident, short time Aberdeen resident

I found the posts here very interesting - As someone who has lived in western WA all my life, I find the rain rain and more rain rather depressing to live with thru the winter, BUT, if you can get past that - and most of us can - spring and summers are wonderful and worth the wait. Our coast probably doesn't compare favorably to CA beaches but it's peaceful, and rarely crowded and the small towns along the coast are quaint and fun to explore. I just moved to Aberdeen a few months ago - was NOT my first choice of where to live but was somewhat close to Olympia so gave it a go. I'm actually glad I did - I haven't found crime to be much of an issue, people have been friendly and welcoming and very helpful. I find it a rather 'giving' town - only thing I'd recommend is be sure there is a job opportunity here for you - industries are limited. As far as flooding, even after our 'hurricane' in early December, there was some minor issues with flooding but most of the flooding was down Centralia and Chehalis way. I don't think it would be a major consideration as long as you choose residency according to the flood maps and talk to residents.

It's a nice town, there's some interesting stores around - like the star wars one LOL but for 'real' shopping just run to Olympia. I'd recommend this area wholeheartedly.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:36 AM

167 posts, read 590,753 times
My stepmom lives in Aberdeen and we drive down there from Belfair to see her a few times a year. The town is still in the midst of an economic crisis, so make sure it can support your job hunting before you move there. However, if you are retired, it's a great place to do so.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 PM

7 posts, read 22,668 times
Cool Updates?

I hate to dig up an old post, but I am looking for new info on the Aberdeen area.

My wife and I, she is a Registered Nurse who will be transferring her license to Washington and I am a computer repair tech and do tech support, are planning on moving out to WA in June of 2012.

The wife wants to be close to the beach, not so close we get flooded, but close enough we can drive there within 10-15 minutes or so, close to large enough cities that would have health care industry jobs, like Olympia and such.

I can work in area near big cities as I simply change my area of interest on my companies website and they send me work in my area (50-100 mile radius usually).

The wife wants to also be close to Forks so we can do a trip there every now and then (yes she is a huge Twilight fan).

After doing a lot of searching, I have found Aberdeen to be the best fit for us, we love the avg temps we see, we can't stand these 80-100F days here in Indiana, and the humidity is outrageous.

My question is, sorry it took so long to get to it but I wanted to build the cause a little as to why and where, is Aberdeen still a decent place, after all the last post on the subject was back in 2008.

I did my research and it seems that Aberdeen has fallen to the job scarcity like the rest of the country, but I am hoping the wife can get a good paying job as an RN close by. We had planned on settling into the Heather Meadows Apts. (if these are clean and not a trashy neighborhood) for the first year or so just to get out there.

I had also noticed there is a tech support call center out there I might look into if it still exists. Also my daughter seems excited about the amusement parks listed on the city data page, but from what I can see they are no six flags or anything, more along the lines of kiddieland it seems hehe.

Any info you can provide to help us would be more then appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Brent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington