Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afinebalance View Post
I must say that I have never heard of a city where all the inhabitants (that I have come across) have nice things to say about the place. I don't think I have heard one complaint about Olympia. That is either terrifying, or really cool
If Olympia is really this awesome (which I am inclined to believe) I'm going to start telling people how much it sucks so that people don't start to flock there. Me excepted
About the only negative that hits the national news is when protester converge and become violent.

This was the case when the Fort Lewis Stryker Brigade was coming home and met by protesters that became violent breaking windows and trashing cars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,895 times
I'm a big fan of Olympia. We visited (we're Marylanders) when my stepson was doing his law clerkship there last year and fell in love with the city. Incidentally, earlier comments about the east end being less desirable for housing shouldn't put you off from checking it out. He rented a beautifully charming older home for very reasonable money in a well kept little nook just up the hill from downtown. Olympia is a very charming, walkable town with great character and the restaurants are excellent. We're planning to be regular visitors to enjoy the city. Best of luck.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 PM

191 posts, read 560,267 times
Pros: Downtown: A few good places to eat, couple of fun theaters and shops.
Pretty areas, nice parks, friendly people, good libaries

Cons: Downtown: Crapped out-bums/homeless hanging around. Sucky weather, slow pace, boring.

Seattle is much better.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Olympia is a town that has a relatively small population, it is the state capitol city, that state presence is what sets it apart from other towns of similar size. Jobs from the state's business create a better balance than you'd find elsewhere. Most of the surrounding area is depressed economically due to the fact that timber harvesting is the big employer in the numerous small towns west and south of Oly. Evergreen College is just minutes from the downtown core, it has a reputation of being left leaning, but nonetheless a good school. Oly is a neat little burg in the way it is layed out, like most of our nation the housing of the late seventies and eighties are built outside of the city limits, suburban Olympia is quite large and heavily populated. It is the downtown that deserves kudos for it's imaginative architecture, quaint cafe fronts, and a host of good art and music venues. I live twenty five miles to the west of town and still drive there often for the good food and ambiance. Education is such a subjective topic any more that you'll have to define your needs in that area on your own, in general, we tend to make our schools in the mirror image of our own values anyway. That said, I'd imagine the overall school scene as one of average quality. The waterfront area of town is on the Budd Inlet, a harbor section of Puget Sound, it is as lively a market place as you could possibly want, the vendors are of every stripe and the area speaks volumes about the nature of Oly. in general. As real estate is in a downward slide at present you might be better off than you would have been years ago. Homes are still not cheap, in the main the NW has not been subjected to the scale of realty crashing we saw in Cali or Nevada. Finding property in the town itself will be difficult as with most cities the real estate boom occured in the burbs, west Oly is very nice and close to shopping and schools. The east side has the spector of strip malls stretching out from the town and proceeding on to Yelm and South Tacoma, this is where the housing boom really went nuts, it's not a very well planned layout at all, heavy traffic is a constant concern as is the crime that's associated with these types of big housing developments. Come downtown on a Saturday and see for your self what Oly is all about, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 AM

291 posts, read 948,661 times
Hmmm. Olympia. My wife and I are relocating to the PNW next summer. Perhaps we should spend a day in Olympia. Thanks to all.

wc@h

Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Hmmm. Olympia. My wife and I are relocating to the PNW next summer. Perhaps we should spend a day in Olympia. Thanks to all.

Olympia's got a good farmer's market, and a downtown that's vibrant and quirky.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:15 PM

74 posts, read 175,995 times
When I decided to retire, and having lived in diverse parts of the state, as well as being born and raised in Washington, I chose Olympia. And I have the ability to likely live anywhere on the planet I like save for some place like Monaco.

If you need a big city Seattle is an hour up the road. The place has nice people and everything you need locally, no traffic problems to mention, and is relatively cosmopolitan for its size. I can go sailing one day and hunting the next, and be up shopping in Seattle the third.

The place almost has it all and has what it is missing is within an hour's drive.

This eastside/westside nitpicking is meaningless, there is every kind of little neighborhood in both areas. I happen to live on the waterfront on the west side. Before purchasing my abode, I liveed on the Eastside.

There are actually several Olympia's, the working class one, the colloge one, and the state employee one all are different but do interact.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 PM

291 posts, read 948,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post

Olympia's got a good farmer's market, and a downtown that's vibrant and quirky.
Good to know! I am very interested in visiting. Thanks IRA!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:16 PM

479 posts, read 2,224,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast at heart View Post
Good to know! I am very interested in visiting. Thanks IRA!
Here are some links that you might enjoy:

Olympia Farmers Market local Washington organic farmers, handmade arts & crafts, locally grown plants

https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...n-olympia.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...d-olympia.html

Old 04-30-2009, 02:30 PM

34 posts, read 98,698 times
Ahhhh, I can't wait to move back to WA!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington