Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:20 PM

16 posts, read 40,088 times

Advertisements

Hi washington!! What is it like to live in forks?? i currently live in las vegas and hate it. Forks looks very pretty and i would love a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 AM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
There have been several threads about Forks already, and they're pretty useful.
One thing is always mentioned... What are you going to do out there-retire or work, if work, where?? What are your general interests?
Forks is beautiful but is very secluded.
Try google Earth and check out its location, I love that site, it's so helpful!!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:37 PM

14 posts, read 47,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfamily View Post
Hi washington!! What is it like to live in forks?? i currently live in las vegas and hate it. Forks looks very pretty and i would love a small town.
Isolated logging town. Lots of rain. In fact, its on record as getting the most rainfall in the state (wettest area) but lots of woodlands, close to the coastline, green and pretty in the summer. Semi warm in the winter. Coastal area usually doenst get too cold. Make sure you have income, jobs are scarce.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 18,812 times
Forks is not an ideal place to move to. Jobs are scarce. Pretty much NO chance of getting a job as an outsider. And yes, for everyone who would want to move to Forks understand that you are outsider. Move to Sequim or Port Townsend. Visit the Peninsula on the weekends.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 13,414 times
Forks has a LOT of rain! Snow often in the winter and summers are often mild compared to (Las Vegas expecially!) The close proximity to Canada makes it a wonderful weekend trip. There is a prison located close by that could be a possible employment opportunity and an hours drive is Safeway,Shucks Auto Parts etc...
I personally don't think relocating to Forks would be my first choice in consideration. But each his own. Most families that live there have had family that lived there for years.Many "left in the family homes".

Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 9,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodland_water View Post
Forks is not an ideal place to move to. Jobs are scarce. Pretty much NO chance of getting a job as an outsider. And yes, for everyone who would want to move to Forks understand that you are outsider. Move to Sequim or Port Townsend. Visit the Peninsula on the weekends.
Wow, is everyone there this friendly. My friend and I were planing a trip to Forks... just to visit, but not so sure now. Would hate to bother the locals and all, being an outsider that I am.
Peace to you Woodland, I hope life treats you a bit better.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM

576 posts, read 2,259,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardlis View Post
Wow, is everyone there this friendly. My friend and I were planing a trip to Forks... just to visit, but not so sure now. Would hate to bother the locals and all, being an outsider that I am.
Peace to you Woodland, I hope life treats you a bit better.
Hi Shardlis:

Go ahead and take your trip to Forks. You'll find it as friendly as any other small town in western WA. Besides, summer is the best time to go as you'll likely get a few, if not more, sunny days!

Although I can't speak for the poster you referrenced, my take as a "local" is that many people have come to Forks lately expecting it to be something similar to that portrayed in the Twilight movie (not implying that you are however ). It's simply not. Actually not at all would be a more accurate descriptor between the "Twilight Forks" and the "real-life Forks". Still it's a great place to visit, mainly as a jumping off point for the adjacent beaches and rain forest.

As Woodland suggested (IMO) it can be a tough place to live and particularly a tough place to move to. Why? A scarcity of jobs given the depressed timber industry which, by and large, is what the economy of Forks revolves around. This situation will be the same for an "insider" or an "outsider". Unless you're independently wealthy, retired or the likes, most people will need a job to pay for their groceries and Gore-Tex clothing.

If you're just visiting, who cares about finding work or a nice place to live? Right? Besides, there are a lot of great things to see on the peninsula so I think you'll be glad for it if you decide to go! May I suggest from Forks that you head south on 101 to the Kalalock? It's our favorite part of the rain forest!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,085 times
Thanks Dendrite
That gives me a bit more hope for the Forks community.
Although I must say, things are tough all over. I'm from a small town with no good jobs available either, but atleast Forks has this surge of tourism with the twilight books. That should help some.
I had to save for a year just for the trip because my friend is the diehard twilight fan and she didn't want to go alone. So I was hoping there would be some friendly faces as well as the wonderful scenery.
Oh and thanks for the tip to go south.

Last edited by Shardlis; 06-15-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
... many people have come to Forks lately expecting it to be something similar to that portrayed in the Twilight movie...
The only thing that twilight Forks and real Forks have in common is that they are both spelled the same.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The only thing that twilight Forks and real Forks have in common is that they are both spelled the same.

You forgot the wet soggy trees!!!

I liked the movie twilight, so much as I watched it twice,
but, I did not get the same feel for the Forks in the movie as I do from the real Forks..unfortunately..

Friendly people: YES
Jobs: NO
Social: minimal unless you know people who like to get together.
Stores: A bunch of small ma and pa stores, one large grocery/hardware.
RAIN, Gray days, Oct-May it is dark from 6pm to 730 am

BUT people live there so it must be admirable to some folks.

Come visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington