Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 03:59 AM

23 posts, read 68,966 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to the area and I'm currently renting a McMansion in a particularly suburanite area of Gig Harbor. The reason I'm renting is to get a feel for the area and learn where I'd like to buy a house. I really dislike the suburban cookie cutter feel to my neighborhood and I'd like to find a more authentic feeling community. I work in Tacoma and enjoy many of Tacoma's neighborhoods (proctor, stadium, etc). The problem is that I need more space/privacy than the houses in Tacoma seem to offer. So, I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend somewhere on the peninsula that has some space, but retains a decent sense of community. Some place where there are pubs and coffee shops and people don't so much care what kind of car you drive or if you golf. The more liberal the better. Or, should I just move to Olympia??? What about Vashon? Are there any "walking communities" out there that still have yards/privacy??

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM

167 posts, read 590,919 times
"Walking communities" usually don't include a lot of property.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Vashon has that to a certain degree but it's spread out so there really isn't a whole lot in one particular place....You might want to check out the town of Steilacoom, or "downtown" Gig Harbor...or the West side of Olympia( has more of that liberal and walkability thing than other parts of Oly)..or somewhere around the Des Moines waterfront ...has a good walkability thing with stores and parks and eateries.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,511 times
It depends on the price range you want to stay in - along how much of a commute you want to do.... do you want to depend on ferry system and schedule. What is more important walking community or space?

My favorite place in Olympia is the Boston Harbor area. Very nice.... close to Olympia - close to Freeway... but has it own community flare on Puget Sound. Large state park in area also - off the water many acre or more for sale.

Good luck

Old 10-14-2008, 03:22 AM

23 posts, read 68,966 times
Default "walkability" vs space

Yeah... that's the problem. Space vs. Walkability. I think the most important thing is the sense of community regardless of either of these. I guess that sense of community can exist either in concert with, or independent of, walkability... i just have the feeling that a neighborhood with a market, a pub or two, and some common space would make for a higher probabability of people who live in close proximity to each other interacting in one another's lives. That may not actually be true at all though... just my warped perception from watching too many episodes of Cheers. I suppose people might just live closer together with smaller yards and still isolate themselves in their own little boxes regardless of location.

Maybe the real question is "where do the people live who are friendly and ride their bikes with the Obama stickers to work and hang out afterwards at the neighborhood pub?"

-Sincere thanks for your thoughts.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Maybe the real question is "where do the people live who are friendly and ride their bikes with the Obama stickers to work and hang out afterwards at the neighborhood pub?"

Vashon, and the Proctor District of Tacoma, to name just two...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,511 times
I have lived a life of "Cheers" mentality - find it at my Dad's home in NE Tacoma - Federal Way - have it in Roy - Mt Rainier...
sense of community is vague to differnt people. I could break down my vehicle at 3am up at Mt Rainier and someone would stop and pick up - also lived in a fish bowl anyone who came to my home I was sleeping with (even my mother no one knew the car) roy I have a local poker game people = community --

so my point is if you live in community and are open then you have one - in WA HI MT where ever. Again I would never move to an area without checking out the vibe and people - sounds like your questioning that over internet... each person has there own....... I could tell you my experience - although you may hate the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington