Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 06:37 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
For our needs, we determined bicycling in Port Townsend was limited. Many of the roads have limited visibility and little to no shoulder. I used to race bicycles, and I've had my share of broken bones and road rash. I no longer bicycle on roads that have moderate to heavy traffic and no shoulder.

The trail you're probably thinking about, which is intended (I think) to be the east terminal of the Discovery Trail is now called the Larry Scott Trail. It is dedicated trail from south of downtown to the Milo-Curry Trailhead, south of town. That's about 7.5 miles of trail. From there...you're on your on. The next segment of the Discovery Trail picks up around Blyn, as MMM said.

We like the trail from Sequim over to Port Angeles, but, through Port Angeles, the trail kind of zig zags along some roads and sidewalks. We do like the winding, undulating trail from Sequim to the outskirts of Port Angeles.
Yup. The ODT website links in my previous posts give a detailed description for each segment of the ODT broken down into terrain/route changes. Lots of info there! A snip: "The Olympic Discovery Trail starts its 126 mile journey to the Pacific Ocean here in Port Townsend. Known locally as the Larry Scott trail it follows the old RR grade from the Port Townsend boatyard at the water's edge. It crosses the Quimper Peninsula and heads south along Discovery Bay." And at the 6 mile point of the PT segment of the DT: "Current end of developed trail. Turn right (south) onto S. Discovery Rd. and continue toward Four Corners intersection with State Highway 20."

The segment you like between Sequim Bay State Park and the outskirts of PA is the one I'll be doing. A 50 mile round trip ride is enough for me. I can see where you might appreciate more with your background and experience.

I didn't intend to argue with MMM. Just to counter that there is indeed dedicated DT along the PT segment that does not utilize surface streets. For some folks a 12 mile round trip biking a safe trail would be appropriate and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
R4T
I have the strong opinion one chooses Port Townsend or Sequim based on cultural idealisms, not minor differences in climate.!!!!

Both have a major Marine influence. In PT the wind howls out of the south during the parade of endless winter storms and out of the West most every summer afternoon.

The summer wind is 50 degrees the winter wind is 50 degrees...LOL. One does not dine outside without wind protection. One generally closes their windows year around in the evening.

Sure Sequim is slightly drier and less windy, but PT is slightly warmer.

IMHO,,,, minor differences and if one is that concerned about sun or warmth neither is likely going to please, especially if coming from lower latitudes.!

Don't forget to consider how low the winter sun is and how short days are at 48 degrees north latitude.

Again, strong opinion here.... But I truly believe that finding a community that fits the individual, will provide more warmth and light in one's life than the climate will.!!

Yes, all true. If somebody believes the 300 sunny days per year hype, they will be in for a rude shock. That's what they say about San Diego and Denver, and if you count "some sun" as being "sunny" it mostly holds true for those cities. But not in the Olympic rain shadow. There is just lower total rainfall than, say, Seattle. The difference in climate between Sequim and Port Townsend falls into the "virtually none" category.

This winter seems to have been mostly gray and rainy (not just drizzly) on pretty much all of western WA.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
It has been a long, gray, rainy winter. Yesterday was a long, howling windy, storm on into the night, all night long. The sun is out now, but not for long. This is a typical winter, last year was a drought. Summer is great, winter is Nov-March.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
I suspect a record breaking wet winter. I am flooded in a huge way.

We got our years worth of Rain in a few months.

Indeed last night's windstorm was intense, lost an important greenhouse at.the farm!

The wind howled ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
It has been a long, gray, rainy winter. Yesterday was a long, howling windy, storm on into the night, all night long. The sun is out now, but not for long. This is a typical winter, last year was a drought. Summer is great, winter is Nov-March.

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 03-10-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 08:37 PM

576 posts, read 2,259,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If somebody believes the 300 sunny days per year hype, they will be in for a rude shock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia
It has been a long, gray, rainy winter. Yesterday was a long, howling windy, storm on into the night, all night long. The sun is out now, but not for long.
I know, can you believe the wind we had last night? Yikes! We finally got our power back on late this afternoon. I heard it was worse in PT. Sorry your greenhouse suffered TrueTimbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia
winter is Nov-March
I agree that's the usual pattern here although the way it's been going weather-wise this year we might end up with Nov-April for winter...

Old 03-10-2016, 09:01 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Power was out in some places downtown, yet on very nearby. Downtown was unusually quiet, other than the generator I heard. It looked like the entire area around Point Hudson was off power.

Uptown, Pane d'Amore had skeletal selection. Bread was available because the bread ovens, located at the edge of the city, had worked, but the store was unable to make the goodies they bake right in the little retail shop. Their driver could not deliver to Bainbridge due to road closures. Aldrich's seemed to be running normally. But I saw guys working on a downed tree and utility line that was closer to PdA than to Aldrich's.

A huge tree had fallen on a line on Sims, near Safeway, and their gas station was taped off as closed.

At home, we lost our power for 5 hours, got it back, and a neighbor one street up said hers went out when the utility company fixed ours!

Old 03-11-2016, 05:40 AM

Good thing we got our lemon bars from the bakery on Wednsday!!! Schools were closed yesterday too.

IMO... Winter kicked off at the end of August last year with that big windstorm from.the south that blew out windows downtown PT.. Pretty rainy September and October last year.

Did Sequim get anything yesterday? I am under the impression Sequim.is more exposed to Frasier outflow winds, but better projected in general.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:06 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,710 times
We're about 2 1/2 miles from downtown Sequim. We only got a couple of hundredths of an inch yesterday and about half an inch the day before.

Regarding "Sunny days in Sequim," chambers of commerce are notorious for how they define a sunny day. The sun may be able to actually cast a shadow at some point in the day for about 300 days a year. A better measure of sunshine is "percentage of possible sunshine." Although the climate network to measure this has fallen apart in recent years, there used to be sunshine recorders in many cities. Each day, the "percentage sunshine" was calculated (usually by NOAA/NWS, but I believe other agencies did some of this too). The equipment detected shadows cast by the sun. At the end of the day, the number of minutes that shadow was detected was simply divided by the total number of minutes from sunrise till sunset. Long-term averages were kept for each month. Long-term averages for December range from 20 to 25 percent in western Washington/Oregon to 75 to 80 percent in the lower elevations of Arizona. In the rain shadow, Sequim and surrounding areas do a bit better than the rest of western Washington...but there is still plenty of gray to "enjoy."

Most of you may be familiar with the following web site. I think it has some good information on it:

Olympic Rain Shadow - Information and Resources

Old 03-11-2016, 04:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
The wind howled ..
Jeez, I hate wind! I must have been lucky in my visits to Pt T over the years.

The only thing wind is good for is sailing, which is one reason I was attracted to the town--its sailing culture.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Jeez, I hate wind! I must have been lucky in my visits to Pt T over the years.

The only thing wind is good for is sailing, which is one reason I was attracted to the town--its sailing culture.
Pick your location in PT carefully.. Me I wanted to avoid the lowest temps. And wanted max summer heat.. So I get hammered from the south or west exposure but totally protected from North and East.

I bet North Beach did not even know it was windy, with this last blow. (Sundays could be bigger..). 70mph gusts.

Hey at least it is not on an Mt Baker, which saw 110 winds on the 10th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington