Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:43 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
A couple of the deciding factors for us (moving to Sequim last year and not Port Townsend) included:

1. Liking the bicycling options more around Sequim. We use the Discovery Trail and quite a few of the roads between Old Olympic Highway and Marine Drive.

2. Proximity to shopping at Costco and Home Depot. Our process of getting settled in our Sequim house has sent me to Home Depot numerous times.

Differences in climate didn't play a difference for us. We were fine with the culture of both places, as different as they may be. But, our neighborhood has a spirit of community we've never experienced any other place we've lived.

Jumpindogs...I think I know about where your lot is. I think you'll like it out there. We also have friends a bit west of your place, off Happy Valley Road. They love their location and they're 600 to 700 feet above sea level.
I hear ya on the Home Depot. We are anticipating many trips there after our build.

We love our proximity to the DT...less than five minutes biking. Although 1) having been run off a very wide road on my bike by an inattentive driver and 2) working in a Transfusion Service for a Level 1 Trauma Center where bike/car accidents are on our list of typical summer traumas, I am perhaps overly cautious where I bike and crossing 101 doesn't appeal to me. Biking in a retirement town with a substantial number of aged drivers also provides some food for thought. I'll prolly haul my bike to Sequim Bay State Park and ride from there. I'll get lots of use outta my Discovery Pass.

The DT in PT is a bit scary in too many spots.

Your friends are somewhat south of us, just the other side of the Creek. That area is lovely.

That neighborhood spirit of community is one of the many things we loved about Sequim. Reminded us of home here in WI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 01:30 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Downtown Port Angeles is scary??? Someone doesn't get out much!

Old 03-07-2016, 03:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
I hear ya on the Home Depot. We are anticipating many trips there after our build.

We love our proximity to the DT...less than five minutes biking. Although 1) having been run off a very wide road on my bike by an inattentive driver and 2) working in a Transfusion Service for a Level 1 Trauma Center where bike/car accidents are on our list of typical summer traumas, I am perhaps overly cautious where I bike and crossing 101 doesn't appeal to me. Biking in a retirement town with a substantial number of aged drivers also provides some food for thought. I'll prolly haul my bike to Sequim Bay State Park and ride from there. I'll get lots of use outta my Discovery Pass.

The DT in PT is a bit scary in too many spots.

Your friends are somewhat south of us, just the other side of the Creek. That area is lovely.

That neighborhood spirit of community is one of the many things we loved about Sequim. Reminded us of home here in WI.
How so? What spots? Are you talking about biking, and traffic? Could be. You guys make biking on the Peninsula sound like a lot of fun, though. Sounds like it's worth a try, if I manage to move myself up there.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:38 PM

Ooops, my mistake...but downtown Port Townsend isn't "scary", either. It's beautiful.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Ooops, my mistake...but downtown Port Townsend isn't "scary", either. It's beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How so? What spots? Are you talking about biking, and traffic? Could be. You guys make biking on the Peninsula sound like a lot of fun, though. Sounds like it's worth a try, if I manage to move myself up there.
DT stands for the Discovery Trail, not downtown. I referred to it as such in the previous paragraph of my post in which I described my personal rationale for avoiding road biking. From the ODT website Pt Townsend, Olympic Discovery Trail ODT regarding the PT leg of the DT:

"The trail is well marked to its current end at the Milo Curry Trailhead, about 7.3 miles from the boat haven. From here, cyclists and pedestrians can turn left on S. Discovery Rd. and continue just 0.2 miles to the Four Corners intersection with Hwy 20. From Four Corners, the temporary route continues on Hwy 20 (see next map segment page, ODT 2) to the intersection with US Hwy 101 at the tip of Discovery Bay. Use EXTREME caution on this route – a winding, cliff-side highway with very narrow shoulders and high-speed traffic. A much safer alternative is to continue across Hwy 20 on Four Corners Rd., to Hwy 19, turn right, and continue to the four-way stop in Chimacum. Head south on Center Rd., turn right on Hwy 104 and follow it to Hwy 101 and on to Discovery Bay. More mileage, but far more safe. The Peninsula Trails Coalition is working on a non-motorized route around this very hazardous area."

Yeah R4T, biking and traffic. Hwy 20 winds and curves along some dropoffs. I was careful when driving it and for sure would never bike that. The ODT website has tons of information and cool maps. You should check it out! I am looking forward to doing the entire East Central leg from Sequim Bay State Park to PA and back...a lovely 50 mile ride. http://olympicdiscoverytrail.com/tra...t_central.html

Old 03-07-2016, 05:12 PM

There is no actual, dedicated "Discovery Trail" in Port Townsend, it isn't built yet, it's just surface streets. The actual "Discovery Trail", a dedicated, paved path for walkers, bikers, & equestrians, separate from cars on the road, goes through Port Angeles & Sequim. At the PA end, it ends around the Elwah River. At the opposite end, around Sequim Bay State Park, around Blyn. Until further built, the "Discovery Trail" elsewhere is a route on 101 or surface streets...that's it. What does exist is a beautiful route, but the bikers have much to learn regarding yielding to pedestrians & horses.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
There is no actual, dedicated "Discovery Trail" in Port Townsend, it isn't built yet, it's just surface streets. The actual "Discovery Trail", a dedicated, paved path for walkers, bikers, & equestrians, separate from cars on the road, goes through Port Angeles & Sequim. At the PA end, it ends around the Elwah River. At the opposite end, around Sequim Bay State Park, around Blyn. Until further built, the "Discovery Trail" elsewhere is a route on 101 or surface streets...that's it. What does exist is a beautiful route, but the bikers have much to learn regarding yielding to pedestrians & horses.
According to the map for the PT segment, the first 5.7 miles are dedicated and on a former RR grade. The last 2 (scary) miles are on roads. Pt Townsend, Olympic Discovery Trail ODT Is the ODT website wrong?

Many bikers I've seen have a lot to learn about sharing the roadways. An acquaintance of my sister's ended up in our Trauma Center last summer when she failed to stop at a stop sign and broadsided a car going 55 mph on the cross highway. She readily admitted later that she just didn't stop at the stop sign...as do many of the people in my sister's bike group. To her chagrin since she stops. Too bad bikers are also in need of a lesson for the ODT.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM

You just said it yoursef, other than the RR grade, you're on the road with cars. Someday, the plan is for a bike/walk/horsetrail that will be SEPARATE from the vehicle road, as it is now thru Sequim & PA. There is a small segment of old RR bed on the Westside as well, doesn't go very far. The eventual plan is Port Townsend over to LaPush, I believe.

It's pretty dangerous riding on the roads here. I've been on a bicycle & hit by a vehicle & so has my spouse. Many of the roads here are narrow country roads with deep ditches, & many DUI drivers. Then, factor in the tourists with the RVs in the summer. I prefer the forest service & old logging roads on a mountain bike, but even those have plenty of vehicle traffic.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
You just said it yoursef, other than the RR grade, you're on the road with cars. Someday, the plan is for a bike/walk/horsetrail that will be SEPARATE from the vehicle road, as it is now thru Sequim & PA. There is a small segment of old RR bed on the Westside as well, doesn't go very far. The eventual plan is Port Townsend over to LaPush, I believe.

It's pretty dangerous riding on the roads here. I've been on a bicycle & hit by a vehicle & so has my spouse. Many of the roads here are narrow country roads with deep ditches, & many DUI drivers. Then, factor in the tourists with the RVs in the summer. I prefer the forest service & old logging roads on a mountain bike, but even those have plenty of vehicle traffic.
I was responding to your comment below.

Quote: Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia
There is no actual, dedicated "Discovery Trail" in Port Townsend, it isn't built yet, it's just surface streets.

RR grade is not surface streets. 5.7 miles of RR grade is a dedicated (although yet unpaved) majority of the 8 mile PT segment of the DT.

I'm with you on avoiding biking the roads.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:06 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
For our needs, we determined bicycling in Port Townsend was limited. Many of the roads have limited visibility and little to no shoulder. I used to race bicycles, and I've had my share of broken bones and road rash. I no longer bicycle on roads that have moderate to heavy traffic and no shoulder.

The trail you're probably thinking about, which is intended (I think) to be the east terminal of the Discovery Trail is now called the Larry Scott Trail. It is dedicated trail from south of downtown to the Milo-Curry Trailhead, south of town. That's about 7.5 miles of trail. From there...you're on your on. The next segment of the Discovery Trail picks up around Blyn, as MMM said.

We like the trail from Sequim over to Port Angeles, but, through Port Angeles, the trail kind of zig zags along some roads and sidewalks. We do like the winding, undulating trail from Sequim to the outskirts of Port Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington