Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone who is familiar with Tumwater could provide some information about the town. I would like to find from 3-10 acres with a small home for no more than $450,000. I like lots of trees and a safe area. Would it be possible to find such a place in Tumwater or outside of Olympia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 02:21 PM
DBM

92 posts, read 494,888 times
KidBlue -

Yes, you should be able to find such a place. You can do an MLS search on www.moveolympia.com (broken link). Use the "Advanced Search" function and you can specify lot size above three acres. I did a quick search in the 400K-500K price range and found 29 properties, scattered throughout the outskirts of Tumwater and Olympia. Most were located in the "South County" area, meaning rural Tumwater, Rochester, Yelm, and the space in between. If you stick to the Tumwater listings, you'll only be about 15-20 minutes outside of both Tumwater and Olympia.

Tumwater is definitely on the upswing. The town was stagnant for years when I was growing up, but the need for housing finally put the South County areas into play. Now there are lots of new neighborhoods springing up. Still, there are larger lots available in the price range you're looking at.

I used to bike quite a bit in the areas you'll be looking at, so let me know if you have specific questions. I may or may not be able to help.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,872 times
look at places down littlerock road, out by delphi, or waddle creek. they have big lots, little homes, and about 10 minutes from olympia

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
It should be no problem for you to find acreage with a nice home in the price range you indicated either in Tumwater or Olympia. I just checked the MLS and found 78 properties within these parameters. If safety is important to you, then you'll be happy to know that Olympia has been ranked as the safest mid-sized city in the US these past two years in a row. If you haven't been to the area before, take a look at this photo journal www.olympiauncovered.com. It has pictures of Olympia and Tumwater as well.

Best wishes,

Sandy

Old 01-31-2016, 06:18 AM

18 posts, read 23,102 times
Default Sandy's photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
It should be no problem for you to find acreage with a nice home in the price range you indicated either in Tumwater or Olympia. I just checked the MLS and found 78 properties within these parameters. If safety is important to you, then you'll be happy to know that Olympia has been ranked as the safest mid-sized city in the US these past two years in a row. If you haven't been to the area before, take a look at this photo journal www.olympiauncovered.com. It has pictures of Olympia and Tumwater as well.

Best wishes,

Sandy
Beautiful photos. We're interested in the Oly/Tumwater area. Any existing problems in the area that you know of?

Old 05-18-2017, 01:41 PM

6 posts, read 20,587 times
About that "unsolved mysteries " show. I'm an amateur enthusiast, and from some readings of several authors and historians, this rock could be as ancient as 2500b.c., or possibly a copy cat who in the 1800's or so, who may have used it for directions or messaging someone. But an epigraphic socoiety from that area there abouts, would likely be a better source to decipher the markings.

I'd like to see it up close and personal, but it's a bit too far for a non flyer to travel to see it !

I'd never accept just one archeologists thought on it, who may have never seen anything like it before this.

America B.C. by Dr.Barry Fell
Discovery of Ancient America by David Allen Deal

are my 2 recos for other enthusiasts who never knew , that libyans and egyptians. phoenecians and more were in north america long ago, exploring our planet, and mining ore, like copper in michigan . and they left markings and evidence all over north america.

kw

Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM

436 posts, read 570,273 times
Uhhh Kenny I think you got the wrong Tumwater thread.

Also looking at the greater Olympia/Tumwater/Lacy area. Probably the place we are most likely to move to in Washington since Port Angeles has a lack of employment and Bainbridge is unbelievably expensive and would require tricky maneuvering to get into.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 PM

RunninJT,

I believe the Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater area is a wonderful location with ample amenities and beautiful natural surroundings. It's too far from Seattle to get the crazy housing market, so it's still an affordable area.

Sandy

Old 05-19-2017, 01:24 PM

436 posts, read 570,273 times
Sandy you do not need to sell us on the area, we visited there last year on our house hunting vacation during the spring when we had to escape Sequim during the lavender festival (the locals told us to run for our lives), so we hanged out in Olympia for a few days. We found it reminded us a lot of Austin in the early 80's. Big enough to have everything you may need in a city and small enough not to feel crowded like Austin today. We checked out multiple properties in our price range and really regret not putting in an offer on a property we fell in love with when we had the chance. We were still too focused on Port Angeles at the time.

So now we are keeping an eye open for another opportunity like that again. A fixer in a nice area, maybe even around one of the lakes.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:08 AM

I see the house sold for $225K. Prices have gone up a bit in the last year, but occasionally there are still foreclosures and fixers that come on the market at a good price. Be prepared, though, that even fixers get multiple offers and frequently sell above list price. It's a strenuous market for buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington