Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2023, 03:10 PM

8,265 posts, read 16,926,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Yeah, it's good to get out. I get out and walk a few miles every day unless it's windy and branches might come down. It's kind of moody and cool in the woods but dreary. As a novelty it might be interesting, but we get too many days of it.
It's good to get out every day like that during winter or at least try. I know it seem repetitive and sometimes harder to motivate when the same darker, dreary weather. One thing that helps is trying to do something a little different locally to add some variety. Like I'll go out on a lake or river vs. the forest. And if they weather improves enough with some sun breaks, head to the coast over a weekend or vacation day. And I *always* keep an eye out for those windows of light during winter when things shift from the dreary to super colorful after rain, etc... You never appreciate the sun more than after those long stretches of clouds and rain. In fact, the sun is shinning right now.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-27-2023 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 06:17 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,764,276 times
We didn't see anything but dark gray all day here (had the lights on to get some brightness) and it's dark gray now. No sunbreaks. It looks like Vancouver has great weather and lots of sun in comparison. Maybe being further south helps.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
We didn't see anything but dark gray all day here (had the lights on to get some brightness) and it's dark gray now. No sunbreaks. It looks like Vancouver has great weather and lots of sun in comparison. Maybe being further south helps.
It's hard to say. I know there are days when you say its sunny most of the day up north when its the opposite down here or we have mostly rain and clouds with only a little sun. Generally, there may be a bit more sun breaks further south. That's one of the things I've found interesting in this thread as folks report different weather especially during winter when the storms march down from the north and sometimes we miss it or only get the tail of it.

Today we really only had a few sun breaks along with rain and clouds. And by the time I got off work, I ended up walking in the rain which was still ok. Even then, I'm always looking for that little bit of blue sky and for part of the walk the sky was blue overhead while raining at the same time. So, we definitely get a wintery mix here too. Sometimes, I've also found it really depends who you ask in Vancouver. I've heard people here use the same hyperbolic language to describe the PNW climate like most do. It's very much a cultural norm to complain about the weather here in the same way we talk of bigfoot. Basically, that its cloudy and grey for 9+ months out the year and then its fire season. To that I say hogwash & fake news! Look for the beauty and you will definitely find it throughout the year. While it takes more effort to find during rainy season, its still there. Here's from my walk in the rain tonight.

It's funny how cultural norms and their forms of expression differ throughout the country. When we lived in CO, everyone loved to brag about how great the weather was calling it 'mild' with so many sunny days. Haha The reality was quite a bit different with the snow, ice and bitter cold along with hale so large everyone had cracked windshields, crazy lighting with thunderstorms and winds that shook the house - lots of high winds when living a mile high+! Temps could drop below Alaska. And the dryness! Everyone's skin was cracking regardless of age. But culturally, it was apparently the greatest weather on earth. People are kinda funny that way. lol

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-27-2023 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-29-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Sometimes, I've also found it really depends who you ask in Vancouver. I've heard people here use the same hyperbolic language to describe the PNW climate like most do. It's very much a cultural norm to complain about the weather here in the same way we talk of bigfoot.

Derek
One thing that affects people's views of the cloudiness is if you're surrounded by tall evergreen trees- it can block any sunbreak you get in winter when the light is low. There are lots of these types of neighborhoods around Puget Sound, usually also with hills that block the sun.

It feels damper and colder when the sun never shines in the yard in winter. Bigfoot would probably love it and never be found, because no one wants to hang out in those yards in winter. It's just moss and pine needles. It's more pleasant in an open area because when the sun does come out, you can see it.

One place we lived, the way the surrounding trees and hills cast shadows and blocked the light, it was dark all winter even if the sun came out. That was very depressing for about 8 months. In summer, it was nice to have the sun blocked and all the shade kept the house cool. But in winter it was awful to have no sun.

Meanwhile, friends in a cleared area with just small street trees a few miles south experienced more sun. The actual amount of sun in the sky was the same, but we didn't receive the same amount of sun at ground level. However, in summer, their house was very hot and ours was cool with no AC.

So that could be why people in the same town have different perceptions of the weather on the same day. Without the shade, you need AC in summer. With the shade, you need Arizona in winter.

Old 01-29-2023, 03:29 PM

Interesting take on why some 'feel' they don't see the sun for 9 months even when it comes out throughout the year like today mid-winter. I guess if someone doesn't get outside very often and they're deep in the trees, it seems darker. That's one of the reasons we didn't pick a house buried in the trees and instead have our house facing south where windows let lots of light into our home. But most importantly, getting outside is the key especially if living deep in the trees. Get out and walk, hike, run, paddle, bike, etc.... Here's a few pics from our sunny winter day today. It love watching sunrise over the mountains on clear days like this.

Derek

Old 01-29-2023, 05:08 PM

5,279 posts, read 3,182,692 times
It was nice and chilly here today.
Clear skies, no wind and mid 30’s for the most part.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:26 PM

2,089 posts, read 989,735 times
^^what he said. Sunny & blue skies. I needed that.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:45 PM

Gorgeous here as well. Much needed blue skies and sunshine. Down into the teens overnight with a hard frost, which made everything sparkle. Beautiful day.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:56 PM

What a beautiful, sunny, blue bird day on the Columbia today. It was soooo clear out and nice to see Hood in all her winter splendor. There was some nice color toward sunset as well.

Derek

Old 01-31-2023, 08:12 AM

5,279 posts, read 3,182,692 times
That’s a pretty cool looking SUP board D.
Is it heavy or hard to haul around?
I’m too much of a wimp to haul out my good kayak.
Sadly it has never touched wa waters.
We just use our cheapo sit inside Walmart ones mainly.
They are better for crab and I can leave them out without worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington