Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 05:50 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,411,133 times

Advertisements

Nice story, Elko.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 08:57 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Nice story, Elko.

Thank you, Returning2USA. Tacoma doesn't leave me with stinky thoughts as it does some with its paper mills. I like Tacoma.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:50 PM

126 posts, read 63,907 times
Does anyone know about the safety of the area surrounding the University of Washington-Tacoma Campus?

Old 07-12-2021, 07:17 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I'll never forget those Alice in Wonderland figurines Grandpa and Grandma would take us to at Point Defiance Park.

Never Never Land

Old 07-12-2021, 07:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Your nephew will likely be with other kids and students when they go anywhere, he'll learn where it's good and cool to go, and where it's not. This kind of exposure to new people and places is what is most valuable about going to college, for a sheltered suburban kid.
I completely agree about having new experiences. I just want him to be safe having those new experiences, as he has exposure to things that will help him develop his own street smarts.

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The Tacoma Link Extension will start running in 2022. It'll run to the Stadium District and then to Tacoma General, the Hilltop, and St. Joseph's. Hilltop is being rapidly gentrified.

https://www.soundtransit.org/system-...link-extension
Thanks for the info. I imagine that this new transit line will come in handy!

Old 07-12-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Yes its the Tacoma Mall. I believe it's the second largest mall in the state but not sure if Bellevue Square has surpassed it (they have expanded alot). Not the most hip place (like most malls) because it's not in the center of the city but still the "primary mall" for Pierce/Thurston county. It's more likely your nephew will be stopping by the Costco right next to it for grocery runs. The areas south of the mall can get alittle dicey but like I stated before chances are they won't have any need to go over there.
I'll look up the mall's location. Thanks for the detailed info, everyone!

Old 07-13-2021, 06:47 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Never Never Land

That's it, Diana. Happy memories of my childhood. I had an upbringing that afforded me time to shoot pool, shoot baskets, watch Bewitched, Hogan's Heroes, Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, Green Hornet...on and on I could go. Edmonds, WA, was a great place to grow up.

Complete with this: if you're not able to open up your mind, turn the channel right now. This memory was back in 1972. I was 12 just about to turn 13. I was walking up an access road to the house Dad built us in Edmonds. On a fairly steep hill, the house was a 2 - story with a large center beam through the living room and an A-frame splitting through the middle. From there we could see Puget Sound shipping traffic, which included freighters, ocean-going ships of all kinds, small sailboats, speedboats, etc. Occasionally I could spot a ferry boat softly cruising through the dark blue waters of Puget Sound. Occasionally I'd spot a black submarine, too, but I could spot black submarines way more often from Grandpa's home in Gig Harbor.

As I walked up the hill, I could hear a dog barking down below in this large open field that was surrounded by 225 acres of tall forest to the eastern side and the northern side. It was University of Washington forest preserve land. Beautiful forest land, untouched by man's machinery. The little black terrier was entranced on something that was right on the treeline. Whatever this creature was, it was shaking a tree branch incessantly. Here's where the story gets weird. While it was shaking this tall Washington evergreen it was letting out this awful, shrieky howl that had as a foundation a deep, long set of lungs. I had goose bumps on my arms and the hair on the back of my neck was sticking straight up.

What the? I looked down the hill. Guys, this tree branch is the kind that gets real thick right at the trunk of the tree. The creature would need to be hellishly strong to shake that doug fir branch like that.

This little black dog just kept barking and barking the whole time. Since that incident I have learned that dogs will do this whenever there's a BigFoot around. I'm convinced that the creature was a cryptid. When it was done shaking the branch, it slowly walked back in to the woods, crackling branches under it's enormous weight. It was the same sound that Paul Freeman heard back in 1994 in the Blue Mts. near Walla Walla, WA.

Take a look at 4:47 on here for a look at a live BigFoot in the forest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut6GDA0wG3M&t=288s

Last edited by elkotronics; 07-13-2021 at 07:35 AM..

Old 07-13-2021, 09:16 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonameneeded View Post
Does anyone know about the safety of the area surrounding the University of Washington-Tacoma Campus?
UW-Tacoma is in the downtown/Hilltop area. It's a denser, urban environment so it has its typical dense urban crime, as well as the typical homelessness you see in neighborhoods like that.

I like that area, with its good transit options, restaurants, museums, and an old warehouse district vibe. But it's a city environment, so it's good to be aware of your surroundings and to use common sense when out and about.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:05 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Never Never Land

That's it, Diana. Happy memories of my childhood. I had an upbringing that afforded me time to shoot pool, shoot baskets, watch Bewitched, Hogan's Heroes, Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, Green Hornet...on and on I could go. Edmonds, WA, was a great place to grow up.

Complete with this: if you're not able to open up your mind, turn the channel right now. This memory was back in 1972. I was 12 just about to turn 13. I was walking up an access road to the house Dad built us in Edmonds. On a fairly steep hill, the house was a 2 - story with a large center beam through the living room and an A-frame splitting through the middle. From there we could see Puget Sound shipping traffic, which included freighters, ocean-going ships of all kinds, small sailboats, speedboats, etc. Occasionally I could spot a ferry boat softly cruising through the dark blue waters of Puget Sound. Occasionally I'd spot a black submarine, too, but I could spot black submarines way more often from Grandpa's home in Gig Harbor.

As I walked up the hill, I could hear a dog barking down below in this large open field that was surrounded by 225 acres of tall forest to the eastern side and the northern side. It was University of Washington forest preserve land. Beautiful forest land, untouched by man's machinery. The little black terrier was entranced on something that was right on the treeline. Whatever this creature was, it was shaking a tree branch incessantly. Here's where the story gets weird. While it was shaking this tall Washington evergreen it was letting out this awful, shrieky howl that had as a foundation a deep, long set of lungs. I had goose bumps on my arms and the hair on the back of my neck was sticking straight up.

What the? I looked down the hill. Guys, this tree branch is the kind that gets real thick right at the trunk of the tree. The creature would need to be hellishly strong to shake that doug fir branch like that.

...snip...
I've never seen a Bigfoot in the forest, but I do hold up hope we'll catch one one of these weeks with our trail cam! We'll keep looking.

And... just to bring us full circle... I have a picture of me holding hands with Hansel and Gretel in Never Never Land.

When they took it all down, I guess the figures were stored in a warehouse for awhile, to hopefully be restored someplace else. Unfortunately, I think I read that the storage burned and they're all gone now.

https://southsoundmag.com/never-never-ever-again/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington