Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Washington: Bremerton, Olympia, Tacoma, best cities, real estate, to rent, rentals.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:18 PM

12 posts, read 29,045 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move from Espanola, New Mexico to northern Washington. We haven't specified a town yet, and were wondering which place people would consider a good place for jobs, affordable housing, and to raise kids in. None of our children are in school yet, so how the schools are also.

We have been looking into the Port Townsend/ Olympic Peninsula area, also Tacoma. We want someplace with around 8,000 to 10,000 people, but we're originially from SW Missouri, so we also like a place close to a town about the size of Springfield, (200,000 including surrounding areas).

We have been dealing with northern NM for two years now, and want to move someplace that was like where we grew up. We are also looking into moving back to SW Missouri, but thought about trying someplace new before we move back to what we know.

Please tell me what you can about the area and if you know MO and WA a comparison of the two and what would be best. It would REALLY be appreciated!! Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 03:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Well.... do you want a lot of drizzle, or a little bit? Do you want lots of hot sunshine or lots of photographic clouds? Do you want northern western Washington which is green and has many possibilities, or northern eastern Washington which is not so green and less populated? That will help narrow down the hundreds of options.

Do you plan to rent a home or purchase? In either case, what is your budget? What do you want near your home -- shopping malls? mountains? forests? developed residential complexes? desert? Do you want an older place or newer construction? All that will help narrow down the options.

What is the location in which you plan to work? Commuting in many populated areas, where jobs are plentiful, can be horrendous so the closer you live to your work location, often the happier life you'll have.

If you can make a list of the specific requirements that really matter to you, you and we could begin to choose possibilities. This could help: ****. If you answer their questions truthfully and heartfully, the results will be several locations where you and your family could be very happy :-)
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Have fun!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 AM

12 posts, read 29,045 times
Thanks, so much! That actually did help a lot, and surprisingly three of the places that I've looked into in Washington came up!

Bremerton, Olympia, and Tacoma were the ones that came up. Are they considered good places to live and raise a family? I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:14 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,548 times
MO, we moved to Poulsbo (about 30 min north of Bremerton on Kitsap Peninsula) last summer and we love it here! Poulsbo is a waterfront town of only about 7000 people. Check it out--very nice area. Also look at Silverdale, which is about 8 miles south of Poulsbo. Silverdale is bigger and has more shopping (Cosco & mall), chain restaurants, etc., if that's important to you.

We're originally from a town in central IL very similar to Springfield, MO. I used to travel there on business, and my grandparents and other relatives were from a small town in SW MO, so I'm quite familiar with the area. My husband and I acclimated very easily to Poulsbo. We think the climate is mild and people are very friendly & welcoming--but from reading this forum, that's not the situation for many who relocate to western WA. As to whether this area would fit your family, there's no substitute for an in-person visit...actually it takes more than once. You should visit in winter and summer, and try to imagine being full-time residents, not just visitors. So many things depend on your individual circumstances. We prefer a small town environment and we work from home so commuting isn't an issue, however if we had to work in Seattle, we'd live on the other side of the water. This forum is filled with helpful folks with lots of good advice, but even so--ya gotta come out and experience it for yourself.

Lynn

Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingMO View Post
Thanks, so much! That actually did help a lot, and surprisingly three of the places that I've looked into in Washington came up!

Bremerton, Olympia, and Tacoma were the ones that came up. Are they considered good places to live and raise a family? I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
Yay good!!

LMB's strong recommendation that you eyeball the area very seriously is invaluable. That's the advice we always give everyone on this forum -- check it out before you decide!

As for school systems, contributors to City-Data include the Olympia school district OSD: Home in their list of the best 5 or 6 in WA. There are quiet areas on the outskirts of Olympia that are green and beautiful and safe and family-oriented.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,496 times
Wink Certainly not New Mexico

I've been to these places, but briefly, so this basically a compendium of that gleaned from this site and other resources.

That said, and also having lived in New Mexico, you'll find western Washington quite different, culturally but perhaps most in climate. Green, lush and beautiful with a good deal of rain save for a few short months come summer. More than this, unlike New Mexico, you will not see the sun much through winter, just relentlessly grey overcast skies. Could take some getting used to, if you ever do.

By most accounts Tacoma is a place best avoided, due crime. Certain pockets within are said to be somewhat immune and nice enough. Would take some careful checking on the ground to insure you find the right spot. The prime attraction probably relatively more affordable real estate, and proximity to Seattle. But if you have options other areas would be less dicey.

Speaking of real estate, if you are not familiar with Pacific coast prices, the market may come as something of a shock. Compared to most places in New Mexico or Missouri real estate prices in much of western Washington are outlandish.

In this regard someplace such as Bremerton may seem at least tolerably reasonable. Not only a beautiful location but in some respects a bargain compared to many other communities, particularly those closer to Seattle. Some questionable areas of town, but good one's too. Also the benefit of the Navy shipyards and more employment prospects than you're likely to find in much the rest of the Olympic Peninsula. There is also ferry access to Seattle, but if commuting be prepared for an hour long commute in both directions.

In this regard Bainbridge island enjoys better access to Seattle, but because of geography and more the significantly higher real estate values.

Haven't been to Port Townsend but understand it is a lovely town situated on a scenic spot. Culturally perhaps somewhat similar to Taos. Downsides would be its isolation, although ferry access to Whidbey island, relatively high cost of living, a limited job market, and also dealing with the paper mill as neighbor.

The only other towns on the Olympic Peninsula proper of any size would be Sequim and Port Angeles. Both of a moderate size you might like, but again with limited job prospects, and far enough removed to make commuting to Seattle impractical. Real estate in either possible if not exactly inexpensive. Sequim is notable for being by far the driest place on the Olympic Peninsula. Port Angeles to an extent, but not as much so. Port Angeles enjoys a splendid setting, and also with direct access to the magnificent Olympic National Park.

The two biggest downsides to Olympia possibly in size a bit larger than you would prefer, and also high real estate prices. But fairly good job prospects. Of course one might live outside the city to escape this, and in some directions the commute perhaps even pleasant. But you may have to go some distance before seeing much of a drop in real estate prices.

Oh, and yes Poulsbo is a charming place, but as with many another somewhat pricey.

All in all you have a lot of options within and near Puget Sound. Lots of money would make it much simpler, but in lieu of this creativity will go a long way. Speaking of money, don't overlook the prospect of property taxes, which can be a significant factor. But the largest the climate and how you feel there. An absolutely lovely area with an abundance of its own peculiarities. If they suite you all the rest can be worked out.

If nothing else the exploration may be great fun. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 PM

355 posts, read 990,458 times
I have lived in 8 states....which include both MO and WA. I have only been in WA (Seattle area) for 6 months but I already know it's not for me. It is really a fun place to live but I can't handle the constant cold rain. You need to be here in the winter months to know if you like the climate.

The other thing you might consider if you have a young family is the high cost of living out here. It is very expensive especially for housing. You could buy a much nicer house in MO and have a great yard for your kids....and be in a good neighborhood with good schools. You will not be able to do that here unless you can afford $500,000 or up for housing.

The mountains are beautiful here and you are closer to the ocean.....but I happen to think the Ozarks are beautiful too. And Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock are beautiful lakes.

Although, I want to move back to FL. If I had to choose between WA or MO, I would choose MO hands down. If you are looking for something similar to Springfield, this is not the place. My kids were in elementary school when we moved from MO to FL. And if I did it all over again, I would have waited until they were out of school to move to FL. And I love FL. I just think that the midwest is a better place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington