Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,996 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the navy and we are going to washington, hopefully whidby island(oak harbor) for his next duty station. He is retireing in 5 years and wants to work at the correction facility after that. As a military family, we have moved a lot but finally this will be our last move so I want to make sure to find a place that makes us family happy. we have three kids.(8/6/3) I thought that sudden valley has some nice homes(affordable) and good schools. But my husband has to commute....oak harbor seems nice but lots of military so it seems unstable for our kids to make long term friends....mt.vernon....ok but crime and low level school...honestly, i don't know where is a good place to raise a family. what i like is,safe and some seclution.good school.close to the store doesn't really matter. sorry for the long and confused post but i appreciate any honest opinion on where you recommened and not recommend. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
There are plenty of nice communities around Whidbey. There are a lot of Navy folks in Oak Harbor, but there are a lot of non-Navy folks there, too.

Anacortes is a very nice place to live, but a bit on the pricier side.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 AM

131 posts, read 323,427 times
Kinmo,

Your assessment is correct on all counts. Don't commute. Civvies stay away from Oak Harbor.

Washington is mostly rural, okay? You aren't going to get the same standard of living like in CT or San Diego, but there are tiny townships shotgunned between the bigger towns that are just fine. You can get a fixer (you didn't mention the retirement grade) or whatever well outside of town and the influence of the service.

These homes are for people who have a life because there is little work for the untrained and uneducated.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,996 times
Smile thanks

Thank you, sean98125 and Baldy! We have lived in Marysville for one year so I have an idea a little bit. My husband will be retireing hopefully as E7. SO we can count on BAH for at least 5 years for the house mortgage. I don't want him to suffer in commute but I also worrie if he can find a job outside of oak harbor such as correction officer. Therefore, I am thinking it will be better for us to stay on the mainland side. He just have to deal with the commute for 5 years which will be sea duty anyway. I like rural. Don't like city. We like nature. More advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM

86 posts, read 403,267 times
Hi there!
We are a military family too..
I would love to return to Wa! Actually we are planning on that..

Make sure you visit the relocation office before deciding on a place.
Check also the AHRN site (AHRN.com )( Automated Housing Referral Network) A site for the Department of Defense. It is for us military folks... There are rentals and For sale by Owner listed..
Check it out!

Additionally, I read there are currently 137 new construction homes in Whidbey and only three offers on them... It may be a good time to buy there a new construction. I don't know specifics but you should be able to find out.

Hey shoot me an email at darythompson@hotmail.com
Good luck with your move!

Dary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington