Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:38 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
No Diana, you need to read some of your own posts and I suspect our definition of ‘professional’ varies somewhat. All that’s missing is the music when you start talking about rural living. You were trying to get a client but you were also trying to change the mindset of the OP and you were going on and on about it. It’s not impossible to find a clean area with a more educated population than Centralia and surrounding towns, she just needs to pay a bit more to get what she wants.

The fact is, someone like that will not find a rough area appealing in spite of the sales BS. Rural Washington has a number of losers and that is a fact. Your potential client is not going to warm up to people they have nothing in common with.

The last sentence is unnecessary since I’m discussing the OP. Thanks to you we live here, but I prefer not to dwell on it if you don’t mind. After our house closed, you were only to happy to post all your new toys on FB to show your friends. Well, you made your money off us, now please put a sock in it and stick to discussing the OP.

Professionalism has an actual definition, and I'm doing my best to stay within that.

The OP hasn't come back since their first post. I think it stopped being about the OP a while ago, unless she comes back with some kind of follow up details.

Though we're probably both guilty of 'going on and on' about our opinion of Western Washington, that's allowed here, and FWIW, no one is telling her to move to Centralia. No one.

On the rest... Shortly before you closed on your house, my father died, and I think some of the "toys" you speak of are tools and equipment we purchased with part of my inheritance. Don't be mean, Taz. Please just stop. I am here to help people best I can, and I don't deserve your personal insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 06:46 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I lived on Vashon Island for three years and visit there regularly. I have to disagree with the "run down" characterization. You might see people living off the grid in teepees, yurts in yards, treehouse and examples of creativity, stacked bamboo all around, leftover Burningman vehicles. Creative it is, run down it is not. Vashon is one of the only holdovers (in my estimation) of true hippiedom in the US. Many layers, intensely creative artists and musicians out there. Plenty of trustafarians too, a few tech people, retirees, even a few rednecks. A special place, you have to spend time there before the layers start to unfold.
Yes, I just had to leave there because I was priced out. A place where a 400 sq ft cabin rents for $1200/mo may be many things, but a low-rent, rundown district is not one of them.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:21 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Professionalism has an actual definition, and I'm doing my best to stay within that.

The OP hasn't come back since their first post. I think it stopped being about the OP a while ago, unless she comes back with some kind of follow up details.

Though we're probably both guilty of 'going on and on' about our opinion of Western Washington, that's allowed here, and FWIW, no one is telling her to move to Centralia. No one.

On the rest... Shortly before you closed on your house, my father died, and I think some of the "toys" you speak of are tools and equipment we purchased with part of my inheritance. Don't be mean, Taz. Please just stop. I am here to help people best I can, and I don't deserve your personal insults.
The areas you’ve recommended for the OP are the same type of crappy run down towns all over Western WA. This lady sounds intelligent and educated, she won’t like these towns. Possibly, the area between Seattle and Bellingham might have places with people who do more in life than smoke pot and do drugs. Diana, I’m sorry about your dad, but you’re full of it.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
and FWIW, no one is telling her to move to Centralia. No one.
Heh... As soon as I posted this and saw it in writing I had to kick myself for unintentionally insulting Centralia.

In fact a couple of the most liberal, artsy and hip people I know live in Centralia. They are two sisters, relations of my hubby, and one runs a very cute and artistic Airbnb and the other owns an art store in town called Hubbub and was just elected to the city council. Centralia has its problems and detractors but those two liberal, hip, artsy women love it there and call it home. There are even a couple of interesting brew-pub type restaurants and a dinner theater in downtown old Centralia.

And there is a community orchestra there that my husband plays trombone in.

I’m not saying it’s an artist Mecca or anything, I’m just saying you can often find the life you want no matter where you are if you’re willing to join in and participate in it. If I could encourage an attitude of open-mindedness it’s that. We often find what we’re looking for. Literally.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-21-2018 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: typos...

Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
The areas you’ve recommended for the OP are the same type of crappy run down towns all over Western WA. This lady sounds intelligent and educated, she won’t like these towns. Possibly, the area between Seattle and Bellingham might have places with people who do more in life than smoke pot and do drugs. Diana, I’m sorry about your dad, but you’re full of it.
Read all of my posts again Taz! Seriously! Until my very last post ... below yours, I have not actually recommended one place in Western Washington for this OP.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:43 PM

1,663 posts, read 875,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Try Leavenworth.
Maybe not? That is in the Cascades, and I am sure there are monster Trucks up there, tow Trucks and such, that are useful to get you out of Snow if you get stuck.
Leavenworth has trucks. Lots of em. And Trump signs. And guns. More guns than trucks and Trump signs combined.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Read all of my posts again Taz! Seriously! Until my very last post ... below yours, I have not actually recommended one place in Western Washington for this OP.
Your first post was a steady push for small town living. It dosen’t matter where, these towns are remarkably alike. I’ve seen small Washington towns hit hard by the recession, and feel bad for the loggers, fisherman and others who just wanted to bring home a paycheck to feed their kids. Unfortunately, these areas have crime, trashy houses and yards, and are pretty dead end. I’ve seen more trashy yards up here than even West Virginia. If your kid uses diapers, throw them out in the yard along with mattresses and toilets and you’re in business. Centralia will need a few hundred more artsy people than those ladies, to even put a dent in the culture. Face it, this area is rough, the people are somewhat limited and goods and services are lacking. Fine if you are like them, otherwise it won’t work. The OP is not a fit for any small town I could think of between Seattle and Portland.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Your first post was a steady push for small town living.

OK guilty.

Good night.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Maybe the OP decided Seattle was her best fit after all.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:

“There are wonderful places to live in Western Washington”. Close enough. Good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington