Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:10 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Contrary to what you think, rural Washington has many of these problems. It’s why I stepped in this thread to talk to the OP. I was afraid you were spinning a pretty picture, with all the bad things in rural living left out.

I actually think you should read my first post on page 1 again. You're still getting it wrong where it matters. Maybe it's not as well-written as I thought.

Read it carefully. The whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 04:19 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,752,127 times
Wow, this is the most interesting thread I've read in a long time.

There is a LOT of rural poverty in the northwest that I think people from the outside are simply unaware of. I grew up in the semi-rural exurbs north of Eugene in the 70s and early 80s (the more downscale suburban part of North Eugene which isn't actually in Eugene). To the extent that I keep track of anyone I grew up with on facebook, I see a lot of people I knew in HS living fairly meager existences. A couple are in and out of prison and a bunch are basically just getting by through a string of low paying jobs and combinations of jobs that come and go. Especially those I knew who were more rural and grew up in farming/logging households. Half the guys I new in HS are still into hunting, fishing, and big trucks judging from their facebook feeds which are mostly poses in front of steelhead they have caught or mule deer they have shot. And lately posing with guns, cammo, and MAGA hats. And they are in their 50s. It's the same in Western Washington as it is in rural Oregon. There are towns around here that are as poor and have generational poverty as deep as anything you find in rural Appalachia. As a school teacher I see a LOT of rural poverty and kids living in really struggling families even in this economy. Very often they are families with small businesses in small towns that are struggling or failing, but they are still trying to show a good face.

If you want to avoid even the sight of it then don't move to rural towns in the Pacific Northwest, or find giant master-planned communities like Sunriver where the poor are zoned out of existence.

Last edited by texasdiver; 09-24-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 04:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Seriously Taz... I don't want to argue with you any more... but I can't let you be wrong where it matters. You think Winlock is a higher-priced area than Tenino or even Rochester? It's not. Winlock is where I find affordable places for people with half your budget. People who can't afford Tenino or Rochester.

Here's a screen cap of the property you just linked. ~sigh~ Look next door. And they have to drive right by those places every day, they're on the way to town.

Look at the map on your link if you want to zoom in further. It was on the market 1175 days at that price.

And there's no horse facilities there.

Sure there are some really luxury places in Winlock. Beautiful, for those who are looking to live there. There's some really luxury places right near you too.
Ok, more trash dumpers. I was wrong, but proves my point that trashy people live everywhere in rural Washington. Even my dentist had this same situation in Olympia.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Since the OP has not come back and this has turned into a heated discussion between two posters, why don't the rest of us call it quits and let the sparring continue on their own.

Or better yet, just sit back, get out the popcorn, and watch the match.
No thanks, there is no point in going over the same arguments again and again. But popcorn is always a good idea.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Wow, this is the most interesting thread I've read in a long time.

There is a LOT of rural poverty in the northwest that I think people from the outside are simply unaware of. I grew up in the semi-rural exurbs north of Eugene in the 70s and early 80s (the more downscale suburban part of North Eugene which isn't actually in Eugene). To the extent that I keep track of anyone I grew up with on facebook, I see a lot of people I knew in HS living fairly meager existences. A couple are in and out of prison and a bunch are basically just getting by through a string of low paying jobs and combinations of jobs that come and go. Especially those I knew who were more rural and grew up in farming/logging households. Half the guys I new in HS are still into hunting, fishing, and big trucks judging from their facebook feeds which are mostly poses in front of steelhead they have caught or mule deer they have shot. And lately posing with guns, cammo, and MAGA hats. And they are in their 50s. It's the same in Western Washington as it is in rural Oregon. There are towns around here that are as poor and have generational poverty as deep as anything you find in rural Appalachia. As a school teacher I see a LOT of rural poverty and kids living in really struggling families even in this economy. Very often they are families with small businesses in small towns that are struggling or failing, but they are still trying to show a good face.

If you want to avoid even the sight of it then don't move to rural towns in the Pacific Northwest, or find giant master-planned communities like Sunriver where the poor are zoned out of existence.
Thank you, Texasdiver and I wish you had been around to say this a few years ago when I was starting to read CD information on Washington. Many people know about the problems in rural Washington but don’t talk about it. This can create a problem for people who are interested in moving to a rural place, but don’t want West Virginia. I don’t get the secrecy surrounding rural poverty here, because it’s here. There is no way to hide or cover it up. Not everyone wants to have neighbors with mattresses in their front yard, and I have two so far.

Now, I do feel bad for kids whose families are struggling, however, that sympathy doesn’t extend to druggies. I honestly think that legal pot draws a lot of riff raff from other states. Last year, I drove out to Morton and was surprised at the number of houses with trash in the yards, the further back you go, the more poorly kept the houses are. It does remind me of a place like Appalachia.

No master planned community, just looking for a place where people take pride in their homes. Seeing mattresses and assorted junk in people’s front yards is offensive. No, these people aren’t pushed down by circumstances in life, they are just lazy.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Trashy properties are not exclusive to rural western WA or any other state, for that matter. They’re not a secret, either.

Driving long distances off of Interstates and away from homogeneous communities would reveal that without anyone digging for it.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I actually think you should read my first post on page 1 again. You're still getting it wrong where it matters. Maybe it's not as well-written as I thought.

Read it carefully. The whole thing.
I get it. Where I disagree is why you’re trying so hard to change the OP’s mind on her country living views. I mentioned in an earlier post that a good sales rep is not there to change the mind of a client, but to help them find what they need and like. You clearly want her to gain your prospective so you can make a sale, but I’m betting she will always stick to her own views on country living.

The sad thing would be to see this poor woman living in a rough area with monster trucks and lumberjacks. She would hate it. I get it, it’s reality and all, but a good sales rep would let her keep her ideas on a more civilized lifestyle and work on finding her dream place. I bet she can get it too, if she is willing to spend more. Why pound the woman for wanting what she wants? I noticed a few folks on this thread did just that.

Last edited by Taz22; 09-24-2018 at 07:31 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Trashy properties are not exclusive to rural western WA or any other state, for that matter. They’re not a secret, either.

Driving long distances off of Interstates and away from homogeneous communities would reveal that without anyone digging for it.
This subject is not really discussed on the moving to Washington threads. I know, because I started reading them a few years ago. I had no idea parts of rural Washington were so rough.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
This subject is not really discussed on the moving to Washington threads. I know, because I started reading them a few years ago. I had no idea parts of rural Washington were so rough.
We_tern WA is covered in Blackberries and heavy forest. You can hide a LOT there! (like 34 cars...)
or... some of the best hidden illegal growing operations in USA.

When in doubt... Camo netting is your friend.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We_tern WA is covered in Blackberries and heavy forest. You can hide a LOT there! (like 34 cars...)
or... some of the best hidden illegal growing operations in USA.

When in doubt... Camo netting is your friend.
LOL! Stealth, you’re the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington