Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:38 AM

16 posts, read 17,787 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I don't know where else to get opinions on the subject specific to eastern WA so I thought I'd ask here.
Would you live in a tiny house? Any interest in building a tiny house?

I'm a carpenter but have been working on the oil pipeline in Alaska for the last 3+ years. That job is now coming to a close and I'm going to have all winter off.
I am fascinated with the tiny homes, although I could never fit in one with a family of six 😆. I would like to try my hand at building one this winter and selling it. I have the skills and a creative enough mind to make it efficient and rather cool in my opinion but I wonder if there is actually any market for it?
I've done all the research into the permits and laws here about them and it's not too daunting but I haven't see any around where I live (Yakima) or the surrounding area.

So does anyone have any input or interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 05:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,556 posts, read 81,131,933 times
They are becoming popular as "in law" units behind homes in Seattle, as rentals to take advantage of the rental shortage and landlord's market. Here in Sammamish someone built one as a rental in their front yard, but we have 12-13,000 sf lots and zoning allows it.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:46 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
No. I lived in what would now be called a tiny house for a few months while waiting for our house to be built. It was OK for a short time like that but I did get cabin fever during long rainy spells. When our house was ready, it was a relief to have space to walk more than a few steps from one end to the other, and, of course, I could finally have my things to use. Most possessions were in storage elsewhere during that time.

Also, that was just me living in the tiny house. My husband stayed at our old house until the new one was built. I can't imagine being crammed in such a small space with another person. A lot depends on the person or people involved, obviously.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:16 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,852 times
Since we've been full-time RVers for the past decade or so since retiring, we are used to living in a small space. We've lived full-time in several Class A diesel pusher motorhomes (bus-type with diesel engine in the rear) that have slide outs to expand the space a bit.

We also own several base locations. One such location in our western Washington property has a park model cabin that we've "established" on the property. A park model is a "tiny house" that is built on a chassis. Therefore, it can be constructed at one location and then be transported to another. Once transported to the desired location, it can then be prepared for permanent or semi-permanent placement on the property by removing the wheels and hitch and then applying some type of skirting.

A park model is classified as an RV by the RVIA and are built to the ANSI codes that the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association establishes/recommends. They are under 400 sq. ft. and are essentially single-wide mobile homes in that they have axles and hitches that are later removed. Most will have lofts that are not counted in the sq. footage. The lofts can be used for storage or for sleeping quarters for kids or adults that don't mind the low ceiling.

Many tiny homes nowadays (or at least featured on the HGTV shows) are essentially park models as you'll notice that they are built on a chassis where a hitch can be attached.

The reason I mention this is that you may also want to research this option as you can build them in a location of your choice and then have them transported to the location your customer requests. Using this option may open a wider customer base as they can be transported across state lines.

example of park model shown in transport mode (wheels and hitch shown): CLICK and CLICK

example of park model shown "established" with skirting and decking and/or porch: CLICK and CLICK

interior example: CLICK and CLICK

The examples shown are at the top end of the square footage range (400 sq. ft.) but, of course, can be built much smaller and without lofts if desired.
~amanda

Old 07-22-2016, 02:29 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
I wouldn't live in the kind of tiny house that qualifies as a trailer, no. But there are modified tiny houses that are permanently located, and are expandable, in the sense that the plans come with an extra side or rear room you can add on, and they have a 2nd floor you can stand up in, not a loft. I could see myself in one of those. They range from about 800 sq. ft. to about 1100. No longer "tiny", but still--compact.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:07 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wouldn't live in the kind of tiny house that qualifies as a trailer, no. But there are modified tiny houses that are permanently located, and are expandable, in the sense that the plans come with an extra side or rear room you can add on, and they have a 2nd floor you can stand up in, not a loft. I could see myself in one of those. They range from about 800 sq. ft. to about 1100. No longer "tiny", but still--compact.
You may not but a lot of us do and like it. The good ones are well insulated and have a lot of features of a stick house. We have good insulation in the walls and floor and have the same double-pane windows that have low-E glass with argon as found in normal houses. Our neighbors have granite counters and fancy fixtures, expensive flooring, fancy window coverings, upgraded cabinets, etc. just as one would in a stick house ...only on a much, much, smaller scale.

My point was that the OP may want to look into it as they have been selling quite well lately.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:10 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
They are becoming popular as "in law" units behind homes in Seattle, as rentals to take advantage of the rental shortage and landlord's market. Here in Sammamish someone built one as a rental in their front yard, but we have 12-13,000 sf lots and zoning allows it.
I think that would be a huge opportunity. For homes with larger lots, rather than a guest room in the house, a little guest house on the lot that could be used for visiting family or for some owners, as a rental.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:18 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
You may not but a lot of us do and like it..
That's fine. I was only responding to the OP's question. There have been several posts exploring the possibility of tiny houses on this and the Bay Area forums. And as I mentioned, there are variations on the tiny house. Interest is growing. The OP should Google around to see if he'd have much competition for the service he's thinking of offering.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:21 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,891,679 times
OP, you might do better as a builder of small houses, rather than tiny houses. As in, houses that are 400 to 600 sq ft. That's a niche I think hasn't been filled yet and is currently being overlooked.

Seattle and Portland do allow ADUs to be built in back yards now, but they do have to meet building codes, be hooked up to city utilities, and I believe they need to be a certain square footage as well.

You might do more in this genre than in the tiny house movement. For one thing, houses that don't go on trailers have a lot more flexibility in design. And people who wouldn't consider or like living in a tiny house may live in a smaller house with more room. And if there's a way to make a small house cheaper (remember, you're competing with manufactured homes in this area), you might really find a winner. In other words, make them liveable, safe, durable, and attractive and simple.

You might also consider making up a series of 5 or 6 small homes plans and then trying to get a set of them all built on an acre or so. That's very difficult to get zoning for but where I've seen it done, the houses are very popular and sell well.

The other thing you might consider building is straw bale houses, mud houses, or even starting a business by recycling houses and buildings that have been demolished and using those pieces to rebuild a smaller house.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
As above.... Invest your time in a small, but legitimate home that will last. I can't imagine why anyone would want, or spend the huge tiny home price, when you can get a fully equipped used RV for $3000 -$5000 that is bigger and ez to move to any beautiful campground you can get to.

Attend events at Sustainable Living Center in Walla Walla i. They used to host excellent sustainable housing weekends, and is a good organization with great people and contacts. Solwest is worth visiting too (does not appear to be in John Day, OR this July, as previous) huge job for small army of volunteers.

WA is a tough place to build alternative homes. MT is very friendly place to build.

BTW, there is a modular building factory in Goldendale. I would partner with them on an ecological cottage home. I want to build a rural senior cottage community before I need one myself (time is running out)!

My next ecological home will be a very small 'rammed Earth' net energy home. (In Hill country of TX). Very bright and colorful soils. Will make a pretty home. I got a nice view 1 ac lot for under $15k. No building codes in county, only septic permit required. I will do rain and gray water recycle. We get 37 " / yr, so I will put in a 20,000 gal underground tank.

My kids built Swiss cottages on view acreage in WA Columbia Gorge as home school projects. They were very nice and ez to sell for 50% profit. Getting federal and Indian approval was good training for the kids. I still build very nice custom energy homes for under $60 /sf. I buy lots of materials from Habitat, Rebuilding Center, or Freecycle. I like natural stone and wood, and no hallways, but Lots of angles / loft and basement. I started building my own, when I could not find a contractor to make basements. I even have a basement under my garage. (Cars on both levels). Nice and cool in summer, sheltered and cozy during our 80 mph freezing winter rains. A Tiny House would be spooky in our Columbia Gorge winters. As a kid.... I woke up after a windy night and our neighbor's new modular home was GONE, strapped down floor was all that was left. Clothes, furniture, pieces of house spread for miles. Gave me a new appreciation for CONCRETE and stone. 3 little pigs style...

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-22-2016 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington