Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 18,094 times

Advertisements

I am a gay male in my mid 20's that will be moving to Port Angeles from the midwest. It seems obvious that there is not a large gay population in Port Angeles, but does anyone have advice on gay friendly locations in the area- are people in the area generally accepting of this? Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 39,627 times
I'm in my early 20's and am from the midwest as well. I am actually thinking of moving to Port Angeles to get away from Indiana, but I would be moving out there alone. I am female and not gay; however, if we both move out there it would be great to have a friend!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 PM

362 posts, read 589,154 times
did you try gay.com chatrooms?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 18,042 times
Default gay in port angeles

We lived in Sequim for six years, and have been traveling in South America and Canada for the past two. PA hosts the annual alternative lifestyle organization ESprit {I think that's the correct spelling} which is a trans-gender group. There is little "in the closet" behavior by the participants, and the Peninsula Daily News {known locally as the PDN} runs a feature piece on the event. Obviously, a gay single male won't create much of a stir. There may be a gay scene hangout in PA but I don't know of any. Sequim is a tad more to the right [the local Sequim paper is the Gazette, locally the Geezer] but the population is pretty much live and let live.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 PM

142 posts, read 557,989 times
I think you will find anywhere in Western Washington much more tolerant of your lifestyle than the mid west. In fact, it is not really considered anything worth noting. Most people who are not gay will not consider your life style or judge you based on it. Many of the people on the northern Olympic Peninsula are transplants from Seattle which is a very progressive town.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 17,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedport View Post
I am a gay male in my mid 20's that will be moving to Port Angeles from the midwest. It seems obvious that there is not a large gay population in Port Angeles, but does anyone have advice on gay friendly locations in the area- are people in the area generally accepting of this? Any other thoughts?

Thanks
I moved to Port Angeles from California nearly 20 years ago, and I feel fine living in this town and area. I'm gay, had a live-in partner, have gay friends who are open and out, and I've felt or heard nothing negative in all the years here. We have no gay hangouts or dinner/dance/drink places, so don't expect this area to be gay in that sense. But just across the strait from Port Angeles harbor is Victoria, British Columbia. It's an hour and a half ferry ride north across the strait, and since Victoria is the provincial capital of B.C., there's a gay community and a bar or two there. It's also a great town to get away to for just a day or for a couple of days. Welcome to the Peninsula if you should make the move! ;-)

Old 03-17-2008, 05:11 PM

26 posts, read 138,199 times
I don't live in PA so can't really say much about it - wish I could help. But did want to caution you on the remark by swsha4 about most western WA areas being friendly to gay people. My son has had problems even in Seattle, and in several places he's lived - he's currently in Aberdeen but I suppose the most 'relaxed' town I know of for the alternative lifestyles is Olympia - there is definitely a gay 'scene' there and perhaps because of the college, it's more open and relaxed. Best to stay out and away from the logger/redneck areas - careful of bars etc. Most people actually are pretty relaxed about it but it's not totally safe everywhere ..... yet. Just didn't want you to think that you never had to worry LOL I think you'll enjoy the town tho - I've been thru it and stopped to look around - it's a beautiful old town and seemed to have a lot of friendly nice people there! Good luck with your move and best wishes!!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 17,752 times
Go to Country Aire Market and ask for Paul (I think that is his name, if it isn't you will recognize him). He will give you the scoop for Port Angeles.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 35,901 times
Default Western Washington Gay Towns

My parents retired and moved to Sequim, so yes, I think of it as all geezers. It's a cute little town, but not gay. I don't know Port Angeles very well, but it's a little bigger and has a college, so it's probably more liberal. It's fairly easy to catch a ferry to Victoria, BC from that area, so that's a plus.

Of the Peninsula towns, Port Townsend seems the gayest to me. I always see lots of gay men and women there, obviously "townies" that seem comfortable and part of the fabric of the town.

I think Either Bellingham or Olympia are the best gay-friendly smaller towns in Western Washington. They both have liberal universities, are about 40,000 people so they are just big enough to have some culture and a gay bar or two. Olympia is only an hour from Seattle, and Bellingham is only an hour from Vancouver, BC.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 16,605 times
Check out Ediz Hook in Port Angeles if you are looking to 'hook' up with locals. It represents the broad small-town demographics. Blue-collar, Bi, married, gay, young, and businesmen on a lunch break or maybe a fisherman or two. It is a turkey-shoot, but it's the only show in town at the moment. Back into the rocks and watch for eye-contact from those slow drive-by dudes. Bring a sudoku puzzle to pass the time. Patience is the operative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington