Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:19 AM

28 posts, read 62,675 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided that we would like to move to WA, as we both really like the state and what it has to offer with outdoor activities, varied weather, beauty of land.

Our dilemma is we cannot decide between East and West. We are moving from the Houston, TX area. We have three children, two of which will be in school in 3 years, so we want to save and move before they start Kindergarten. Our oldest is in 4th grade.

Me:

- Prefer an actual winter with at least some snow, nothing inundating
- Loathe long, hot summers
- Avid fisherman and hunter when situation permits
- In IT industry, but prefer working for non-IT companies or smaller IT companies

Wife:

- Is a city girl, but doesn't want to live directly in a major-populated area like Seattle. A better description would be she likes amenities and doesn't like to drive far
- Loathes long, cold, wet winters, but will be OK with some snow
- In medical industry, can get a job simply by applying, so in all honesty, she will be the one to bring us there, as her career prospects are far better than mine

There is some mention on the WA forums that there is some notion of racism in the East. We are looking at Wenatchee/Cashmere/Leavenworth as the farthest East we want to go, as we have family in that area and in Seattle proper.

I cannot seem to find a place that has job potential, tolerant of a family that looks like the United Nations (adoption), has reasonable housing prices, and meets both weather desires. Politically, we are middle of the road. Additionally, we would like our commutes to be no longer than 30 minutes. Help from WA locals who live on the ground there would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 12:22 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Eastern Washington can have longish hot summers, but it is dry heat, not the humid heat you have in Houston. Winters can be cold, with some snow. Major job centers would be Spokane, Tri-Cities, Yakima, Walla Walla, Wenatchee. College towns: Ellensburg, Cheney, and Pullman. Yakima, however, has major drug and crime issues. More conservative than western Washington, but more libertarian than bible-thumping.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Eastern Washington can have longish hot summers, but it is dry heat, not the humid heat you have in Houston. Winters can be cold, with some snow. Major job centers would be Spokane, Tri-Cities, Yakima, Walla Walla, Wenatchee. College towns: Ellensburg, Cheney, and Pullman. Yakima, however, has major drug and crime issues. More conservative than western Washington, but more libertarian than bible-thumping.
Thank you for your reply. We've heard nothing really good about Yakima. I should have added that we don't want brown for land features, hence saying Wenatchee is about as far east as we would go, and that's really a bit east for my liking. We're both familiar with WA and what we like is the beauty of the forest and hills/mountains, yet having all of the amenities for our family.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
You should do Eastern Washington. Western Washington will be too rainy and cloudy. We get overcast skies for many months in a row. There's plenty of companies in Spokane and the surrounding areas. Eastern Washington would be a great fit. Also, you might consider Vancouver with Portland just on the other side of the river. That's another great option for you.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabbingwestward View Post
Thank you for your reply. We've heard nothing really good about Yakima. I should have added that we don't want brown for land features, hence saying Wenatchee is about as far east as we would go, and that's really a bit east for my liking. We're both familiar with WA and what we like is the beauty of the forest and hills/mountains, yet having all of the amenities for our family.
Personally, with your requirements, especially not wanting to go further east than Wenatchee yet wanting "green" I would consider Western Washington. The only areas in Eastern WA that are green for extended periods are either right up against the east slope of the Cascades, or in the far-eastern or northeastern areas of the state.

And, considering the odds of finding a job in one of those areas, Spokane would be the only reasonable place to look. Which is too far east for you. The towns themselves on the east slopes of the Cascades (Leavenworth, Cle Elum, Twisp, Chelan, etc.) are mostly small, touristy towns - jobs can be scarce.

Wenatchee could be a great potential fit, and there is an excellent medical center there, but Wenatchee itself is certainly not green - it's high desert in a narrow valley carved by the Columbia river (mostly sage brush and cheat grass). I guess, however, you could live in Leavenworth and commute to Wenatchee - about a 20-30 minute drive on a decent highway, depending on the weather.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You should do Eastern Washington. Western Washington will be too rainy and cloudy. We get overcast skies for many months in a row. There's plenty of companies in Spokane and the surrounding areas. Eastern Washington would be a great fit. Also, you might consider Vancouver with Portland just on the other side of the river. That's another great option for you.
Thank you for the info.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:32 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
One more comment - "racism" in Eastern WA (or any part of WA, really) is non-existent.

There may be a small amount of covert racism towards the Hispanics in areas where they are very concentrated - Wenatchee, Yakima, Malaga, Quincy, etc, but I have never known anyone to have been the subject of overt racial hatred. And I have known a lot of people of all races in those areas.

Coming from the South, I don't think you will have anything to worry about as far as the subject is concerned.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Personally, with your requirements, especially not wanting to go further east than Wenatchee yet wanting "green" I would consider Western Washington. The only areas in Eastern WA that are green for extended periods are either right up against the east slope of the Cascades, or in the far-eastern or northeastern areas of the state.

And, considering the odds of finding a job in one of those areas, Spokane would be the only reasonable place to look. Which is too far east for you. The towns themselves on the east slopes of the Cascades (Leavenworth, Cle Elum, Twisp, Chelan, etc.) are mostly small, touristy towns - jobs can be scarce.

Wenatchee could be a great potential fit, and there is an excellent medical center there, but Wenatchee itself is certainly not green - it's high desert in a narrow valley carved by the Columbia river (mostly sage brush and cheat grass). I guess, however, you could live in Leavenworth and commute to Wenatchee - about a 20-30 minute drive on a decent highway, depending on the weather.
Thank you for your reply; we are considering the "live in Leavenworth, commute to Wenatchee" angle as well, and I think it's a potentially good idea, but the house prices in Leavenworth leave us a bit shocked. There is nothing in our price range that would fit a 5-person family that costs under $350k. We'd like to stay under 300k if at all possible.

You're right about taking a second look at Western Washington. It's my wife and her desire to avoid months of incessant rain. What's the rain situation in Vancouver like? I looked at their weather pattern chart and it looks really nice all things considered. Any thoughts on Vancouver? I've been around Washington a fair bit, but never Vancouver.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabbingwestward View Post
Thank you for your reply; we are considering the "live in Leavenworth, commute to Wenatchee" angle as well, and I think it's a potentially good idea, but the house prices in Leavenworth leave us a bit shocked. There is nothing in our price range that would fit a 5-person family that costs under $350k. We'd like to stay under 300k if at all possible.

You're right about taking a second look at Western Washington. It's my wife and her desire to avoid months of incessant rain. What's the rain situation in Vancouver like? I looked at their weather pattern chart and it looks really nice all things considered. Any thoughts on Vancouver? I've been around Washington a fair bit, but never Vancouver.
If you think houses in Leavenworth are expensive, you haven't seen Seattle and it does rain and get overcast for long periods in Seattle. Vancouver will have overcast skies as well but slightly less than Seattle. The housing costs will be better than Seattle but probably still more than you're used to.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If you think houses in Leavenworth are expensive, you haven't seen Seattle and it does rain and get overcast for long periods in Seattle. Vancouver will have overcast skies as well but slightly less than Seattle. The housing costs will be better than Seattle but probably still more than you're used to.
Thank you for the info. We are a bit shocked at real estate prices since Texas is so inexpensive for getting into a house. Texas has nasty, nasty property taxes, though, so in the end, I think it's a wash.

How do people do home maintenance and other things when it rains for months on end? Some things have to be done when it's dry. Just curious. I guess people just mow wet lawns. I mow in 100 degree weather here and it's hideous. I have to wear long sleeves, an Aussie-style bush hat and 30 SPF sunscreen to avoid getting skin cancer. My poor kids have to play outside either first thing in the AM or right before dark otherwise they get sunburned, even with sunscreen.

Does the constant sogginess rot the wood on houses? What other things to watch for with constant wetness?

We really are looking forward to tolerable weather and far less heat. Both my wife and I like summers to be in the 70s, sometimes cresting into the high 80s for short bursts. Sadly, our work took us to Houston, so we are saving to get out before my kids start Kindergarten in a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington