Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
What rain? We're already in another heatwave.
get defensible space (if you live in urban interface).
http://www.firewise.org/wildfire-pre...ace.aspx?sso=0
http://www.readyforwildfire.org/defensible_space/
http://www.firesafespokane.org/
http://www.khq.com/story/29565775/fi...-ignition-zone

DARKNESS of 6 core winter months can be tough on SADs people.
It is REALLY dark in the forest... get a home with full southerly exposure and BIG windows. Our first PNW home was miserable (rental), we were very ill, (all were north facing windows, tho quite big).

The weather / affect is very personal specific.

My spouse LOVES the weather (SO CA raised)

I (CO raised) can't stand 6+ months of drizzle for ONE more minute (Or I will go postal). Spouse enjoys MANY indoor hobbies, and can be discretionary about being immersed in weather / lack of sun (Short days) and stress of winter and summer (6 GREAT weeks to do a year's worth of Maint on home, soils, and barns) certainly no time available to ENJOY the nice weather of 6-8 weeks). I work as farmer / construction / mechanic. I am out in it 16 + hours / day. I also dislike MUD, wet socks / boots, rusty tools, moldy crops and fungal treatments for animals, and chasing moisture related repairs (from mossy roof to oxidized fuse boxes). I wear Poly prop long underwear Oct - April (indoors and out). I have FAR more flannel shirts than I have casual short sleeved! (my 'summer shoes' have lasted 30+ yrs!)

YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,537,858 times
^^^He's not exaggerating about the dark winters (shudder)...that's the issue, we need the rain, we're in drought now.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:16 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,908,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
get defensible space (if you live in urban interface).
The basics of defensible space and the
Ready for Wildfire - Creating Defensible Space
FireSafe Spokane
FIREPROOF: The basics of defensible space and the 'home ignition - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

DARKNESS of 6 core winter months can be tough on SADs people.
It is REALLY dark in the forest... get a home with full southerly exposure and BIG windows. Our first PNW home was miserable (rental), we were very ill, (all were north facing windows, tho quite big).

The weather / affect is very personal specific.

My spouse LOVES the weather (SO CA raised)

I (CO raised) can't stand 6+ months of drizzle for ONE more minute (Or I will go postal). Spouse enjoys MANY indoor hobbies, and can be discretionary about being immersed in weather / lack of sun (Short days) and stress of winter and summer (6 GREAT weeks to do a year's worth of Maint on home, soils, and barns) certainly no time available to ENJOY the nice weather of 6-8 weeks). I work as farmer / construction / mechanic. I am out in it 16 + hours / day. I also dislike MUD, wet socks / boots, rusty tools, moldy crops and fungal treatments for animals, and chasing moisture related repairs (from mossy roof to oxidized fuse boxes). I wear Poly prop long underwear Oct - April (indoors and out). I have FAR more flannel shirts than I have casual short sleeved! (my 'summer shoes' have lasted 30+ yrs!)

YMMV.
Anything over 65° is too warm for me and so I tend to wear short sleeves year round. But I hate that it gets dark at 4pm. Last year I set my clocks ahead 3 hours from November till March and that seemed to work pretty well, since I am a night person and go to bed about 2am and sleep in until about 10am every morning anyway.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,734,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Anything over 65° is too warm for me and so I tend to wear short sleeves year round. But I hate that it gets dark at 4pm. Last year I set my clocks ahead 3 hours from November till March and that seemed to work pretty well, since I am a night person and go to bed about 2am and sleep in until about 10am every morning anyway.
If you're a night person, wouldn't the getting dark at 4:00 p.m. be a good thing?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:37 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,908,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If you're a night person, wouldn't the getting dark at 4:00 p.m. be a good thing?
Being a night person isn't about the dark or lack thereof. It's about the time itself. At least, for me it is. It could be dark 24 hours and my time sense would still dictate I go to bed at about 2am. The only way for me to change that would be to change the clock so that I could believe 11pm was 2am. In a way, it worked really well. I may do it again this year.

I really hated getting up at noon and then watch it get dark just 4 hours later. My time sense says that dark should be around 8:30, so I went with that.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:26 PM

8 posts, read 9,204 times
You could check out Liberty Lake WA, 5 miles from the Idaho border. We chose it for its proximity to Coeur D'Alene, which is really pretty, restaurants, shopping, lake, beach, hiking trails and cycling on the Centennial Trail. It is quite hot and dry here, averaging 95 in July. The winters are bearable and not too long. I am originally from Canada and lived in NJ for 10 years, so I know winter, ice and also humid summer, glad I left that!! The schools here are wonderful for your young family, and LL is very safe and clean. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:33 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,753,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raussie View Post
You could check out Liberty Lake WA, 5 miles from the Idaho border. We chose it for its proximity to Coeur D'Alene, which is really pretty, restaurants, shopping, lake, beach, hiking trails and cycling on the Centennial Trail. It is quite hot and dry here, averaging 95 in July. The winters are bearable and not too long. I am originally from Canada and lived in NJ for 10 years, so I know winter, ice and also humid summer, glad I left that!! The schools here are wonderful for your young family, and LL is very safe and clean. Good luck!
How long have you lived in LL? They can have some utterly horrendous winters that last forever.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:22 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,275,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
How long have you lived in LL? They can have some utterly horrendous winters that last forever.
Liberty Lake? Horrendous winters?

Compared to what? Seattle? Los Angeles? Honolulu?

Liberty Lake's winters aren't even close to the worst in Washington, much less some of the neighboring states like Montana.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:07 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,753,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Liberty Lake? Horrendous winters?

Compared to what? Seattle? Los Angeles? Honolulu?

Liberty Lake's winters aren't even close to the worst in Washington, much less some of the neighboring states like Montana.
I didn't say "worst" did I? But there are many places in WA with easier winters than LL. There have been a few winters in the last ten years that were pretty rough. It shares a pretty close climate to CDA and its not known for easy, short sunny winters either.

And yeah, I know bad winters. I'm from the Priest Lake area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington